TKR Second TKR Done, but still not very patient

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Ellen @NetballKnees

It's Thursday morning here in Dublin and Friday where you are.
This is a very special and probably emotional day for you. Your last day at work.

I took early retirement in September 2013, a bit scary at first as how will I fill my day, was it the right thing to do.

I can say, that life changes after retirement, new patterns develop, time to do what you want, when you want. Or not doing anything at all. You do, somewhat become the Master of time. Instead of Time becoming the master of you.

You have exciting travel adventures planned and it is the start of a new you.

Best Wishes for the next chapter in your life, I'm sure that it will be great!

Cathie
 
Ferntree gully has parts that are magical.
A once rural town that is now part of suburbia.
But being at the foothills of the dandenong ranges, there are plenty of parts that are still gullies filled with ferns.
Plenty of large national parks with protected vegetation and grandeur. Our last place had a 48 hectare backyard.
When we moved here in the seventies, it was well outside the metro boundary, and a bit like sleepy hollow.
Now it is just another part of the suburban sprawl, and the sprawl even extends about 30 klm past us.
Plenty of trees, and large blocks. And clean air.

A place of peace and quiet.




Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hello Ellen @NetballKnees

Friday was your last working day and this first weekend will probably be emotional, I know that it was for me.

This is the beginning of a new way of approaching your life, without formal work.

May there be better days ahead,

Take care,
Cathie :flwrysmile:
 
@NetballKnees Happy Retirement!
[Bonesmart.org] Second TKR Done, but still not very patient
 
Hi Lovely Bonesmart Folk ... Well I am now a retired person - 2 weeks so far. Last week was a bit emotional as I slowly came to the realisation that I was not on leave, it wasn't RDO and that I would not be walking back into the building to work. I have left some amazing people, but the special ones will always stay in my life, I am sure.

I went back to the gym this week and have been doing a fair bit of housework like vacuuming and mopping because with 4 dogs and 2 cats in the house, I am sure you could imagine the hairs that fly around the floor, gathering in clumps for company. However, this will soon become a bit boring, so once Christmas and my first cruise are out of the way, I will look at some form of study to keep me occupied.

Now, for my knees - the left knee is now 13 months old and the right is 13 weeks old. The left has finally reached the magic marker of 90degree flexion. The right sits at about 80-85 degree flexion. I no longer use a crutch or cane and have a slight limp, which is more marked when the knee is a bit tired or sore. The right knee is still sore on, under and around the kneecap and it is sore to touch. I have no idea what this could be from ... maybe because it is still my kneecap whereas the left is a little plastic button. I am only on Panadol Osteo now. I did go to my GP and ask if he was comfortable to give me a script for something stronger than Panadol for when the kneecap pain was severe. He gave me a script for Tramadol, but I went home and googled the interaction between Tramadol and my regular medication. I take Lexapro as an anti-depressant and apparently Tramadol is a no-no with Lexapro, so I did not get the script filled. Surely my doctor would have known this?

With my first trip back to the gym last week, I basically just did a couple of things to work out what I could do. I can use the treadmill, obviously and also the x-trainer and do my upper body workouts. I hop on the bike and ride back and forwards, but joy of joys, have discovered that my left knee, at only 90 flexion, will now do a full rotation easily. Unfortunately the right knee is a long way off, but at least there is light at the end of the tunnel as far as bike riding is concerned. Unless of course I just use the left leg and ride like a one-legged duck swims. hahahahahahaha

I have been thinking about you all often, especially Lyn @Ellejay Cathie @marmora Jackie @tiredwife Lee @leejaa JoAnne @Jozilla Deb @happymum @GimpyGal Kerry @pakline Jean @jeano @Reebok

Lyn ... your next op must be getting close now. I just know it will go marvellously.
Jackie ... Hope Steve is still going well back at work.

Take Care All ... I will try to visit some threads to see what you are all up to. Love and Hugs ... Ellen
 
@NetballKnees I know retirement can be an adjustment. You will get the hand of it.
Doctor's don't always bother to look up med interaction, that is why you need to look stuff up.
Steve is doing pretty good. He missed Tuesday because he had the upper respiratory crud that is going around. He is feeling better today. He has had a few days that have been a little rough on the knees. He took Norco three times so far. He is almost done with his 3rd week.
 
Oh to be retired! Sounds wonderful! My husband has been retired for almost two years. I must admit, I was jealous at first having to get up and go to work when he never has to again! But he has been so good to me. He took up most of the housecleaning since he's home all day, then with my surgeries he has started doing most of the grocery shopping and cooking! He knows cooking after work, having to stand in the kitchen, is hard for me so he takes care of it for the most part. I must admit, it's nice to come home to a clean house and a nicely prepared meal. i feel like I have a wife! :heehee:

It sounds like you plan to stay busy. I hope your knees continue to improve and do well for you!

Connie
 
Hi Ellen @NetballKnees, how lovely to hear from you. Believe me, retirement is wonderful, once you get used to it you will wonder how you ever had the time to go to work! I've had the opposite this week, I was asked to go back to school to teach for a week, I thought this would be too much, and I am very busy getting things ready for my op (in only 15 days :yikes: ), so I only agreed to three days. I really enjoyed it, it was great to be with all my old colleagues/friends and the children were delightful, but I was glad not to be doing a full week.
When I retired we immediately went on a six week tour in France, so when we returned it was easier not to think of my teaching routine. I'm sure once you have had you cruise you will feel the same.
@ConnieJOS - I love your 'having a wife', I always said I needed one whilst I was working full time, my male colleagues had a much easier life. Now we are both retired we seem to split the jobs basically indoors/ outdoors when we are at home, but I know once I've had my second TKR he will step up again, he was wonderful when I had the first.
 
@NetballKnees

Hello Ellen,

:welome: To the unexpected. That's what I enjoy the most about retirement.
Having the time to be receptive to new challenges, trying things you didn't have time to do before, travel, really having that extra time for family and friends.

Of course, this isn't the case for everyone due to personal, financial or health reasons.
I am very, very appreciative of my family, friends and health at this time in my life.

My retired colleagues started a first Friday of the month "Latte Club".
We meet just for a coffee/tea to catch up and chat.
Some Fridays there may be 3 of us and some Fridays up to 10. It's a lovely way to keep I touch and you might think of starting a "latte club" in Oz.

I also meet for dinner or the cinema or play with 2 good and close work friends each month, two of us retired and one still working.
It's great, as she can off load about the situation & people at work and we can supply support, as we know what she is talking about. Tomorrow afternoon, one of the friend is in a short one-act play, well go to support her and then out for dinner.

I've joined several clubs and have meet some great new people, do some volunteer work and generally find that being active has been important to me.

Although, love my lie-in :chillpill: and having down time and practice Mindfulness and Mindful Meditation.

Enjoy, embrace and feel the joy of your new life ,you deserve to.
Cathie
 
Well I am now a retired person - 2 weeks so far
Congratulations on your retirement! It can be a little adjustment, but I am sure that you will enjoy it very, very much!

I just retired---it is a great feeling. I am back in the classroom as a substitute teacher---a lady fell and hit her head on the ice in the school parking lot one day last week, and has a fairly bad concussion. I got called to fill in for her for a while.

It is nice to work because you want to, not because you need to!
 
Wow, so many changes for you. I have not been on the site - too darn busy and tired from work. Projects and daily headaches galore as usual.

I was glad to read that your left knee is letting you bike now- eventually your right will get the idea also. Retirement sounds wonderful. My husband and I keep talking about it and trying to figure out if we can afford to retire before 65- here in the states the biggest worry is the cost of health insurance. He has less than 2 yrs to 65 but I have 4.5 yrs. The biggest question besides money in the decision is to not wait so long that you cannot enjoy the retirement. Life is short and I would like to decrease the stress and have some time to do things again. My job is way too stressful and is not getting any less stressful and I find that I want time to explore things and find hobbies again that I enjoyed in the past.

I am glad you have taken time for yourself and also planned some great trips to enjoy. You deserve it and it will be a nice transition point.

I am not sure how often I will be on the forum. I miss checking in on everyone but often am too pooped mentally to focus. I know I will keep checking in periodically just to see how everyone is doing. This has been the best support group ever and I could not have made it through my surgeries without everyone here.

Ellen, enjoy your time and new experiences. Keep posting so we can see how you do.

Many hugs and best wishes Lee
 
Hi @NetballKnees,
Ellen, I just wondered how you are and how your retirement is going. How are your knees enjoying the fact that you are not working now? I bet your dogs love it.
I've had my second knee done now, although it's very frustrating not being able to do much at this busy time of year, I am pleased that it's done. I'm looking forward to being active again as soon as the weather improves.
I hope you have a very Happy Christmas, lots of love, Lyn xxx
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom