TKR Second TKR Done, but still not very patient

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Everyone at Bonesmart ... I am not sure whether anyone is still on here that I "knew" before ... especially Lyn, Cathie, Jackie, Lee, JoAnne, Deb, Kerry, Jean. I realised, with a shock, the other day that it is now just exactly 2 years since my first TKR was done (left) and 14 months since the right was done. I have been lurking around here lately reading posts that take me back to the very early days in the life of a TKR-er. I thought I would pop in and give you an update on what my knee life is like now.

As I said, two years since the left knee and 14 months since the right knee. I can manage to do everything I need to do, but still cannot ride a bike, much to my disappointment. My left knee is right on 90 and my right knee still hovers around 85 and can get to about 90 on a good day. The left knee will turn the pedal on the bike, but not the right and I am still so disappointed about that. Going into the replacements, I always knew that I would not be able to do anything I couldn't already do, but two years down the track to not be able to do something I could do easily and loved doing, before the TKRs, really depresses me.

Still, I have managed two fantastic cruises since retiring last November - a 2-week cruise to New Zealand and a 4-week cruise around Australia. I have also just completed my dream trip to Canada / Alaska, ending that trip with 4 days in Boston.

Unfortunately though, I have mismanaged my super income (which was not very big to begin with) and this has ended up with me having serious financial difficulties and almost losing my rental accommodation. I wish I had someone/something to blame for this - climate change, global warming ... anything, but it all boils down to my utter stupidity with money handling.

Anyway, back to the knees. Am I happy I had them done? If I was to be perfectly honest, I would say 'NO'. There is no pain in the knee joint any more and I know the knees themselves are strong, but the tendons and (I think) ligaments that surround the knee are very painful at times and hinder my walking sometimes all by themselves. I have also been diagnosed with severe arthritis in the left foot/ankle, so pain is still my friend. As for the pain I used to have in my knees - well, I had put up with that for years and given my time over again, I would continue to put up with it and I would still be able to go to the gym and do all the exercises I loved, especially all the bike classes. I would put up with it until there was no choice at all about having the ops done.

Stairs ... I can go upstairs normally, but slowly and have to use the bannister, but downstairs is still both feet on each step until I am down

Getting out of chairs ... still difficult unless it is quite a tall chair. I usually have to do the pensioner rock (you know - back and forth, back and forth, building up momentum). I cannot get down on the floor (well, to be honest, I can, but there is no way I can get back up again). My Grandson actually described me as his "sit down" Nanna, which broke my heart. I cannot kneel ... it actually hurts and feels so weird. There is still a large amount of swelling around the knees and they are still numb. OS is of the opinion that at this stage, I won't get the feeling back and my ROM won't improve any more either.

However, he is happy with the knees, not interested in the trouble I am having with my ligaments (MCL in particular) and has signed me off to see him in another 2 years.

I have also had a little battle with a melanoma on my back, which started out as a tiny little black mark and has ended up with a 15cm scar across my back, a scar in my armpit where they took out lymph nodes and a five year period of regular check-ups with the oncologist, surgeon and dermatologist. Still, it's a better outcome than the alternative.

All in all though, I am a lucky woman. I have 4 children and their partners who love me and now TWO adorable grandchildren - Sebastian who is 4 and baby Adelaide who is now 6 months old. She was born 6 weeks premmie, but is doing splendidly now.

Also, if anyone is reading this and is interested, I did do a blog of my trip around Canada/Alaska and will post the link if you would like to read it. It could help those of you who are having trouble sleeping.

I hope everyone out there in Bonesmart world is doing well and having as little pain as possible and is bending up a storm with those knees.

Hugs ... Ellen
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Netballknees,
Sorry to hear of your continuing troubles with your knees, and otherwise. Glad you caught the melanoma early.
Frustrating when you don't have the outcome you were hoping for.
I suggest you seek a second opinion on your knees, your OS is not taking your complaints about your ligaments seriously.
Your cruises sound wonderful, we going on a cruise to S. America and Antarctica over Christmas and New Years, looking forward to this adventure.
Good Luck and thanks for keeping us posted,
 
@NetballKnees, Hi, I'm writing to let you know that we have a revised policy on BoneSmart now regarding how tags are used in posts that you may not have seen. Here is the announcement explaining the way we'd prefer members use the tag feature.

I have removed the tags in your post above as they were inconsistent with the policy. Tags like this really aren't needed as these folks are your BoneSmart friends and they are most likely following you or watching your thread. Please refer to the link I provided to Jo's announcement asking that you tie a tag to a specific comment to an individual.

Thanks for your cooperation.
 
Gosh how lovely to hear for you and so nice of you to share your update with us. Thank you.

I'm so sorry you still have ongoing issues with your knees. It is worth pursuing further advice about them. I had an appalling recovery with my first TKR. Nine months later I had a revision. It was a bit slow recovery wise but I am pleased to say that it is now 135/0. I had the second knee replaced May 31st this year. Slow recovery but a little quicker than the last. No revision and a rom currently measuring 105. I've had to have intensive hydro and physiotherapy to get where I am now.

Must be a year for going away Christmas and New Year. I'm going on a coach, river cruise and steam railway trip to Austria, The Rhineland and Prague. I'm so looking forward to that. This is a one off, never to be repeated chance. (I've no job now) I've never done anything like this before and I'm so excited.

I'm sorry to read about your melanoma but it sounds quite reassuring that the docs have got in there quick and dealt with it. I hope you are ok now xxx

Love Nana moon 27 xxx
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I am going to weigh in on a second opinion as well. In fact, I would never have used the first surgeon for a second knee since he did not do well the first time. You should not have swelling at this late date---you for sure need to see someone else.

If you look at the offices, they frequently list the speciality of each Surgeon. You need someone who does revisions. They are the best folks to seek out a problem and a solution.
 
@NetballKnees,

Hello,

I am with Pumpkln and Skigirl! Please seek a second opinion with a revisionist! You don't need to suffer because you have knee replacements! The whole point is the knee replacements are supposed you give you a new lease on life.:console2:
 
@NetballKnees
:wave: Hi Ellen, how wonderful to hear from you, I often think of you and wonder how you are getting on. I so enjoyed our chats, it seems ages ago now.
I'm sorry to hear that you are not happy with your knees, as everybody else has said, it must be worth asking for a second opinion, or getting help, it does seem a shame to have gone through two operations and to come out the other side with little benefit.
I have been incredibly lucky, both of my knees work well. I don't have anywhere near the bend I used to have, but I can cycle, I can walk all day if I need to and I'm back at the gym, yoga and Pilates, so I am happy with my outcome. Yes, they are stiff at times, but to lose the pain is just wonderful.
Your cruises sound wonderful, I am hoping to get to New Zealand in 2017, I'm still working on my husband!
Aren't grandchildren the most wonderful things ever? It sounds as if yours are close to you, they must help to keep you cheerful.My two are three and a half and five months and I absolutely adore them.
It's good that the melanoma has been caught in time, unfortunately it seems to be so common these days, I've spoken to two neighbours just today who have had treatment for the same thing recently.
I have just returned from a two month holiday to France, in our touring caravan, now it feels that summer is truly over, my shorts are being packed away and the jumpers are out ready for a cold winter:scaredycat:ugh!
Lovely to hear from you again Ellen, I do hope that things improve for you, financially and health wise,
Love, Lyn xxx
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom