Guest viewing is limited

TKR Second TKR Done, but still not very patient

Status
Not open for further replies.
@NetballKnees - Here I am, again, checking up on you, all the way across the ocean. You really aren't far from my mind. I think of you many times throughout each day, even if I'm not on the computer much these days.

You've had a miserable year, haven't you? Just one lousy thing after another. I give you free rein to have a giant pity party before moving on. I have no doubt you WILL get your 'can do' attitude back. Until then all you can do is put one foot in front of the other.

I'm so sorry about your beloved dog. They are our lives, even more so when we are home bound. I think your decision to put work on hold is wise. How does disability work where you live - I have no idea. Here in the States, we pay into Social Security and if we become disabled the government can provide assistance. It's no easy task to get to that point (my son is a Disability Attorney) but there should be help out there for you if you need it.

I'm sorry, too, about the death of your friend. It's just all too much, isn't it?

I hope your gall bladder surgery was easy compared to the knees. Please be kind to yourself and know you are in my thoughts. Life can be a real struggle at times, but I still believe you're going to be the New and Improved Ellen in time!
 
Hello Bonesmart World ... here I am appearing out of the mist again. What has happened since my last visit to the forum? Well, firstly I have been visited on my thread by some truly inspiring and amazing, caring people - all of whom I wish so much that I could meet.

Thanks so much for all your kind thoughts and concern about the passing of Kimbo. Mikki and I are recovering from that, but of course there are still times when I call him or ask Mikki where her brother is. At least now I have stopped putting down two bowls of food. Mikki has been helped by the fact that my son Matthew, and his wife Davina, have moved in for 3 months between rental houses. Matthew has a lovely dog, Red (a kelpie cross) and while they don't interact much as Red is only 2, she seems a lot more relaxed just having him in the house and sleeping beside her. Matthew and Davina also have a manx cat, Caspian (their first cat was called Narnia - see the connection????). My cat Jet is not impressed by the introduction of another cat and tends to hiss most times she sees him, but slowly, after a couple of weeks, the hissing is getting a bit less. Also, they have two lovely Malamutes - Teyha and Shadow - who were not supposed to be coming to my place, but have. They are mainly outside dogs, so it is working out okay. After a number of months on my own, it sometimes feels quite crowded with other people and dogs and cat, but otherwise is working out well.

I had my gallbladder op on 17 October as planned. I was a bit nervous about being "asleep" on the table and in recovery for a while with my knee flat (well, sticking up a bit because I still haven't attained 0-degree extension). But the nurses were wonderful and arranged a pillow beautifully under my leg so that the leg was slightly bent and it was supremely comfortable. The op itself went very well, the surgeon said, but this is me and you just know there is something, don't you? Well, apparently the anaesthetist had a terrible time putting the breathing tube down. According to the surgeon there were packets being ripped open, attempts made, tubes being pulled back out when they wouldn't go down and then being thrown all over the theatre. He said at one stage everyone in the room, except for him, was helping. He explained the bruising on my throat and the extreme soreness that went along with it (on the outside, not the inside) was due to them applying the "Vulcan death grip" to get my jaw open wider (also explains the very sore jaw hinges). I also had an extremely fat lip from multiple tubes being pulled back out. Thank heavens I was asleep for all that. However, eventually I was intubated and the op itself proceeded smoothly. Was in overnight and home the next morning. Did have more pain than I expected, or was told about, particularly the navel incision, but that is almost gone now.

Now, for the knee. At 10 weeks post-op tomorrow, thankfully, the pain I was experiencing has almost gone and is only intense if I bend it too far or try to push the straightening. At the check-up I had at the 7 week mark, the surgeon was quite happy with my progress. He thinks eventually I will get flat extension and he thought my right knee was in a better place than my left at the same time in regards to flexion. He said the pain under my kneecap and beside it could be a "pulled" internal stitch and would resolve in time. Would there still be stitches at 7 weeks? This is where the pain is although, as I said, less now than it was. I have to see him again at the six month mark.

He also said, as did all you lovely wise people on here, that I was doing too much for a new knee. In my mind, what I think happened, was that I dealt with my left knee for so long , that this new right knee sort of ran in together with the left and I was treating it as much older than it really was. I have eased back a bit and with Matthew and Davina here, it is easier for me to leave things because they will do them.

I am back to work next Monday - 3 November - for the week and finish up completely on Friday 7 November. How strange that will be after having basically worked for nearly 45 years.

I have a few very pleasurable activities planned - 2 week cruise to New Zealand leaving on 30 December. Then a round Australia cruise for 4 weeks in March - which also goes up to Bali for a stopover. Then in August/September my dream trip - Canada/Alaska.

So, that's up to date for me at the moment. Thanks so much to all my very patient, regular visitors for your caring and concern. Big hugs to you all - Jean @jeano Jackie @tiredwife Lyn @Ellejay Cathie @marmora @kneeper Debbie @Reebok and GG @GimpyGal.

@Reebok ... whereabouts in WA do you live? My round Australia cruise calls into a few places in WA. Would be lovely if I could meet you in person.

I will try to stay in more regular contact. I hope you are all doing well and recoveries are proceeding without a hitch.

Love and Hugs ... Ellen
 
Here I am again - very red-faced. @Reebok .. apologies for my tagging you to ask where you lived. I meant to tag @happymum.

Debbie ... thanks for your visits to my thread. It was you I meant to ask whereabouts in WA you live. Instead I approached some poor innocent male.:giggle:
 
@NetballKnees
Oh, Ellen, it's 7.30 am here and I'm sitting in bed with tears streaming down my face. I am so pleased that you are OK and have come through the last few months as the Ellen we all knew and loved. I could hear in the words of your post that you are much more positive now, I am glad that your life is turning around, you have company, and those amazing trips to look forward to. If only you were coming to the UK, I would so love to meet you properly.
It sounds as if you have the start up for kennels going on there, so many dogs, my daughter would be in her element.
I'm glad that your gall bladder op is now over and done with, it sounds as if it was a bit tough on your throat though.
Well done for realising you were overworking your baby knee, I'm sure I will be exactly the same, it is so easy to do too much, especially when you are on your own.
It will be great to be able to chat with each other again, I have missed you a lot and often thought of you over the last few weeks.
Dad was taken to a home earlier this week, it is supposed to be temporary, while they assess him, but we all think now is the time to make it permanent. He appears to be very happy there, I don't think he fully understands where he is. It is good to stop constantly worrying about him, and having to fit in so many visits to check that he is ok.
I am regaining my independence today - I am collecting a little automatic car, used, not new, that I can drive as a little local runaround. Since my left knee started playing up, in May, I haven't been able to drive our big, manual car, I couldn't operate the clutch. My husband has been wonderful, as usual, and driven me wherever I wanted, but it's not the same as being independent. Hopefully I will be able to drive it six weeks after the TKR, whereas it would probably be three or four months to drive the manual. Once I can drive the big car we will sell the auto, we really only need one car, but it will be great to have it for a while.
I must go now Ellen, once again, I am so thrilled for you that life is much better now. Lyn xxx
 
@NetballKnees Ellen sounds like a full house! When I had my gallbladder out the only incision that bothered me was the one at the top under the bottom of my bra. Bellybutton one didn't hurt at all! I never took pain pills with mine. Glad you are doing better. Hubby goes back to work Monday. Take care of yourself.
 
I'm glad the operation went well (though sorry about the tube problems). Not that you'll forget, but if you need GA for another op you might mention that they had trouble. (love the vulcan death grip description. :loll:)
 
[Bonesmart.org] Second TKR Done, but still not very patient
Hi @NetballKnees I'm so glad you've made such a good recovery after such an ordeal. It's great you're back now. Everyone's missed you soooooo much!
Love NanA moon 27 xxx
 
Great news about the knee! Kept on keeping on! It is nice to have a house full of critters and relatives but I omagine it will also be nice to wave bye bye to them when they leave.

As Elizabeth Von Arnim supposedly wrote during a Christmas spent alone in Switzerland: 'Peace, perfect peace, with loved ones far away!'
 
Hello lovely Bonesmart World ... Well, first day back at work today after 10 weeks. I had 12 weeks off with the first knee, but did not have enough leave to have another 12 weeks off. Boy, can I feel it tonight - a lot of pain. Even though I have an office job and sit down most of the day, that was the problem. My legs have not spent that long pointing down for ... well, for 10 weeks. I did try to elevate on another chair a couple of times, but did forget to make some ice packs. To make the day even better, work had a fire drill today. They've had 10 weeks to have a fire drill, but noooo ... it was today. Because of the knee one of the fire wardens was my escort down the stairs and the walk around the block to the gathering area. The very second we got there, they gave the all clear and we had to go straight back, but this time I could go up in the lift. I was surprised at how awkward I was on the stairs - very slow and two feet on each step, but as I live in a low-set house (bungalow in UK I believe), I haven't had to deal with stairs at all.

As soon as I walked in the door after work I fed the animals and then changed into something comfortable and straight on the couch ... legs up and ice packs on. It made me wish I still had some strong painkillers because Panadol is not helping.
Oh well, I only have to persevere for this week because on Friday ... I RETIRE. :yes!: After 45 years of working.

I am going to have to be so disciplined because it will be too easy to sit on the couch all day. Gym each day I think. If only I could ride the exercise bikes. :bawl:Still, there's the x-trainer and the treadmill and all the upper body exercise equipment.

As regards the knee itself, it is still painful - especially under the kneecap. Still very swollen and still very tight. In fact, both knees feel like they have tight bands around them - even the 12 month old one. On a positive note though, the 12 month old knee looks like it has finally ... finally ... reached a 90degree bend. The 10 week old knee has probably reached about a 70degree bend. I hate how jealous I get when I read about people reaching 90 or 100-odd after a couple/few weeks. Still there are worse things.

Thanks for visiting ... Lyn @Ellejay ... I am so glad you have gotten a car you can drive ... it does feel good to be able to just get up and go out when you need to. I hope your father has settled into the home. Have you decided if it is permanent yet? I hope he will be happy there and it will take some off the pressure off the family. Not long now until the second op. I hope and pray you will have an easy time of it and recover quickly with little pain.

Jackie @tiredwife ... No painkillers for me either after the gallbladder op and thanks so much for our Halloween greetings. It is catching on over here in Australia and even though it is not our tradition, I see no harm in the young ones getting dressed up and trick or treating. We had a few visitors and I had filled a big bowl with various sweet treats so everyone left happy. Hope Steve's first day back at work went/goes well. I found my first day back today very debilitating and pain inducing.

Jean @jeano ... thanks for your visit. Hope you have been getting in some horse riding.

@kneeper . ditto thanks for your visit. I have known since I had my hysterectomy about 5 years ago that I was what they call a Grade 3 intubation risk, but they have had no problem with the knee replacement ops. The anaesthetist told the surgeon to tell me that I had graduated to a Grade 5 risk and they didn't go any higher than that. Hope you are keeping well and everything is going great.

@Nana moon 27 .. thanks for your lovely glittering 'welcome'. It was beautiful.

I will try to visit a few threads now, but at only 8.30pm over here in Oz, I am feeling quite worn out by the first day back.

Take Care everyone ... Love and Hugs ... Ellen
 
Hi @NetballKnees,
Great to hear from you Ellen, just one more week at work, I'm sure your knee will complain like mad, but it will just have to manage and then it can rest as much as it likes. It will feel very strange to be at home not working, but I recommend it highly. All your trips sound amazing, and with two new knees as well, no arthritis pain- wonderful!
I am loving my little car, it is so wonderful to have my independence back again. My husband calls it my mobility scooter, but I don't care, I can visit Dad whenever I want, I can go to the gym again and even better, go to the shops on my own. I might even tackle the notorious M25 in it and visit my daughter in law and grandson. I've never minded doing that trip in my big car, but this one does seem little, and a bit vulnerable.
Enjoy your last week Ellen and congratulations on your retirement. Lyn xx
 
Its the old "you dont know what you got till its gone"
The things we take for granted are the things we miss most.

Independence is one of those


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Sorry about the extra walking with the fire drill. Figures. :)
Congratulations on being mere days way from retirement!
 
Hello Bonesmart World ... Just popped in on the computer at work. I shouldn't be, but just wanted to let you know that if you don't see me again for a while, I haven't returned to the world of the "Blahs". The keyboard on my laptop at home has decided it doesn't want to make impressions any more, so while I can turn the computer on, open up the internet and google, when I go to type in "Bonesmart" or anything really, I hit the keys and nothing shows on the screen. Not sure how long it will take me to find out what is wrong and get it fixed. Meanwhile, I finish work tomorrow and will not have access to a computer keyboard that does work after that.
Being back at work this week has been great for the people side, but my knees (yes, both of them), have hated it. I now have constant pain on, under and immediately around the kneecap of the 11 week right knee and the whole area is hard, warm, tight and extremely sore to touch. Not sure what that is about. I am hoping that it is just because I am sitting down all day with my feet on the floor. I am only able to elevate for a short while each day until I get home. Panadol Osteo is not helping at all, unfortunately and by the time I go to bed, I am almost in tears with the pain. Both ankles are also so swollen they can barely bend and my little toes are more like little sausages and do not even sit on the floor, my feet are so swollen. Surely I don't have to spend the rest of my life with my legs up on pillows and ice packs on?????? Anyway, that's my whinge but hey - it could be a whole lot worse and I could have the same but with young ones to look after or others to care for. Instead I just have to concentrate on me, so in that respect am lucky. Am seeing my GP tomorrow to see if there is some form of stronger painkiller that stops short of being a narcotic that I can take for a few days. I also have a very suspicious looking black thing which has come up on my back which I want him to check out for me.
I have my goodbye lunch with workmates today. We are going to a local Thai restaurant, so should be fun.
Jackie ... @tiredwife Thank you, thank you - that is a lovely photo of the smiling Dwayne Johnson. Just gorgeous.
Lyn ... @Ellejay I am so happy you are enjoying the freedom your little car is giving you.
@Reebok thanks for your visit. Is Ferntree Gully as magical as it sounds?
@kneeper Thanks for your visit too. I should have expected something like a fire drill ... you know how life likes to do these things to one.
AND TO ALL ... ONE MORE SLEEP and I am a retired lady. :sleep:
Take Care all and have a lovely afternoon/morning/evening/night - wherever you are. Hugs ... Ellen.
 
@NetballKnees
Hi Ellen, just one more day to total freedom, I really recommend it. I was very decadent yesterday and went to an afternoon showing at the cinema, it did seem strange coming out in the light. I saw 'Before I Go to Sleep', and enjoyed it very much. It's a psychological thriller, I'd already read the book. It the film still had me on the edge of my seat, and in tears at the end.
I am loving my little car, but already life is getting quite hectic as friends and family realise 'I'm back'. So with visits to my Dad, my daughter in law, coffee with friends, is it's to the gym, suddenly I'm very busy again. It won't be long before I follow in your tracks for the second TKR and I will be housebound,so I may as well enjoy it while I can.
I'm sorry to hear about both knees swelling after your week of work, but hopefully they can have a rest next week and get back to normal soon.
Enjoy your meal out with colleagues, get that keyboard sorted soon so we can chat xxx Lyn
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom