Guest viewing is limited

TKR Second TKR Done, but still not very patient

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Ellejay

Hello Lyn,
Envy you being in France and hope that your knee is not giving you too much trouble.

Cathie
 
Hello All ... and especially @Jozilla @Ellejay @marmora @jeano @tiredwife @kneeper @leejaa @GimpyGal
It is always so lovely to hop on here and see all you lovely familiar people. I have been a bit slack with keeping up to date with Bonesmart the last few days. I can't seem to concentrate on anything for more than a few minutes and I know you all understand that feeling.
I am having a lot more pain this time around, possibly because of the lateral release which I didn't need for the last knee, and having a lot of pain especially in the back of the knee. It makes me realise how lucky I was the first time around with pain and how very little I actually had.

Days 10, 11, 12 and 13 ... Bit of the same old, same old thing. Kids visited at various times over the weekend and helped out with Meaghan right to the forefront. I did ban her from coming over on Sunday because she badly needs a rest. I am muddling through things on my own pretty okay. The nights are worse - not so much sleeping, but just being alone. I am such a sook.

Day 12 ... Visit to OS to check on fracture blisters and incision. He was very happy with the cleanliness of the incision and did not seem to mind that the GP nurse had removed the steri-strips to clean it up. He was not impressed with the fracture blisters and said he had seen much worse. How rude. I was impressed with them anyway. He recovered the fracture blisters and then recovered the incision and said that on Thursday or Friday I could remove the lot, then recover only the fracture blisters and could then have a shower. :yes!: I had been able to have a shower all along after the first TKR, so have been missing them after the waterproof dressings had been taken off. It was a big day with the drive to OS and walking from car to his office and back.
Day 13 ... Outside PT came after referral from PT in hospital. I was a bit nervous about it. She sat with me and asked heaps of questions and then gave me a consent form to sign. I hesitated and she asked what was wrong, so I asked her what her viewpoint was on pain during PT. She was horrified and said that if anything she did ever caused me any pain, she would stop as she didn't believe there was any point in disturbing already angry tissues and such. :yay: She then inspected the hire stuff I had and referred me to their Occupational Therapy people for a new over toilet chair as mine was a tad tight around the rear end and thigh area due to me being, well, overweight. Then she had me lie down on the bed and we did a few, very easy exercises. She asked me to lift the left leg off the bed into the air to see how high I could get it and then asked if I could try to lift the right one a little. Believe it or not, I lifted the darn thing right off the bed. Up until then I had not been able to do it. I think it just wanted an audience. Then we went to the kitchen and she showed me a couple of things I could do while holding on to the kitchen bench - all the time she emphasised to take it slowly and carefully and not to push to pain. I think I love her.
Day 14 ... Occupational Therapist called in and brought a couple of bigger over toilet chairs with her. One was perfect, so she left it for me. She also had me sit in the so far unused shower chair. I found that it was okay, but I had to bend my knee more than I liked, so she is organising for me to have a shower stool, which will allow a bit more room for my leg. A friend came to visit and we had a lovely time chatting. Pain is a bit on the high side today, so am now icing, elevating and trying to keep my concentration.

I am going now to visit a few threads, so take care all and I hope everyone is doing well.

Love and hugs ... Ellen
 
Great to hear from you Ellen, I certainly remember not being able to concentrate, so don't worry about that, we all understand. It's just good to know you are ok. Your PT sounds wonderful, you and her will obviously get on well together. I'm sorry the pain is so much more this time,they do say every knee is different. Take care and have lots of rest xxx Lyn
 
Hi Ellen,
So glad to hear from you, please take it easy, sending you a million healing wishes and a few Aussie kisses :)
 
@NetballKnees Glad to see you back on your thread! Sound like you are going in the right direction! It is a blessing to have a gentle therapist! Hubby has been blessed with them too! His home PT for both knees was this amazon of a woman, at least 6 ft 3in and looked like a marine drill Sgt. He saw her for the first time and later told me he thought "**** she is going to really hurt me!" But she was very encouraging and gentle. He has had more pain with this knee too (turned out that most of it was from blood pooling behind the knee cap, but his body has since absorbed it). No two knees are the same. You have a great day!
 
@Ellen ...........so good to hear you are doing well! I did put a post up for you last week sometime but it may have got lost. I'm doing OK.......back driving (after 11 months) & therefore have my independence back. My balance has never been great so I am still using the walker for outdoors.........one lady called it a "deadly treadly". :snork:
My knee has had to take a back seat now...hubby has just been diagnosed with Prostate Cancer..........hasn't spread to bones, tissue, or lymph so that is a blessing. It is his decision as to what to now do about it..........I'm not saying a word because he's the sort of man who will do the exact opposite of what I suggest, so he has to work this one out himself. Of course I will support him, but the decision is his. I know the disease is frightening & he is not a good patient, but I will be there. Have a lovely weekend sweetie, love, Kerry
 
@pakline
Hello Kerry,

I was touched by your post about your husband and will keep both of you in my thoughts. :prayer:

Cathie
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Don't want to detail, but @pakline Many, probably most prostate cancers are very slow growing. Back in the day treatment was overly-aggressive with brutal surgeries that had a very bad impact on quality of life. Prevailing thought now is that a lot of men with slowly growing prostate cancer are best served by monitoring. Plus huge. strides have been made as regards treatments that deal with the cancer while preserving continence and sexual function.
 
@pakline , sorry about your husband's diagnosis. I wish you both well.

@NetballKnees I'm just thrilled you have a wise PT! Just think, BOTH knee surgeries are behind you now, and you are well on your way to recovery! Sorry this one is a bit tougher for you, but every day is going to be a bit better than the day before . . . until you find yourself back to a normal routine!

I've been thinking about you a lot, even though I don't post here often anymore. You're just one special lady and I had to check up on you.
 
My OS's PA said it seems the second knee is more painful for whatever reason. Not exactly what I wanted to hear a few days before surgery.

Hope all is well Ellen. I will post when I can!
 
Hello All ... Deb @happymum Kerry @pakline GG @GimpyGal @tiredwife @jeano JoAnne @Jozilla Cathy @marmora Lyn @Ellejay ... thank you all so much for your very precious visits.

Kerry ... did I dream it, or did you put a post on my thread with your email address? I can't find it now, but if you did, perhaps you could inbox it to me so I can email you please. I am so sorry to hear of hubby's diagnosis. It is good though that bones, tissues and/or lymph are not involved. Please give him all the best from me and I know you will support him in whatever he decides is to happen from here. I smiled at the thought of you and your "Deadly Treadly" running amok in the streets. I do still think of you often dear Kerry. I am so glad you have independence back with being able to drive now. Love and Hugs to you ... Ellen

GG ... Thanks for checking up on me. It's hard to believe it is not long off a year since your LTKR. I hope you are doing well. xoxo

JoAnne ... Not long now sweetie. Then recovery time and then you will be able to play joyfully with your grandchildren. Sebastian was over today and is quite happy to come and sit up on my lap or beside me and we play whatever game he devises while sitting. I pulled him up on my lap today and he sighed and I said "That's a big sigh Sebastian" and he responded "Yes, I exhausted". Funny little thing he is.

Had the last visit from the home visiting PT yesterday. I only had two because I wasn't really a "public" patient so was only entitled to a couple. She again was very gentle, asking permission before touching or moving my leg. She put me through the little exercises she left the other day and said she was very pleased at how quickly I was trying to rectify everything. She measured my flexion at 75 degrees, which was 10 degrees better than 3 days before. 75 won't sound much to those who achieved 90 or more before leaving hospital, but as it took about 6-8 weeks for my left knee to reach 75, I was very happy with it. However, proving the maxim that no two knees are the same, this knee won't extend, whereas the left one had 0 extension from about day 4. We decided I would go to a private PT now, so will be ringing around to speak to various ones to find out their experience with TKR recovery and making sure they understand that I won't do anything that would hurt me.

I am now able to lift the leg on to the bed by itself, with no little foam helper and can also lift it up from a flat position on the bed. Whenever I do anything to work on the straightening, there is a a lot of pain in the back of my knee. Also a lot of pain comes from the medial side of the knee.

All dressings are off now, except for a dressing over the fracture blisters and the scar is a bit bumpy, but nice and clean and will probably settle. I can't yet say I am thrilled that I had this second one done, but I can say that I am glad I have now run out of knees.

I will go now and see if I can visit a few threads. Take Care all ... Hugs ... Ellen
 
Snort! Love the comment about running out of knees. I told Mr jeano the other day that if I had a third knee to rehab i'd do no PT at all, just to see what happened. This knee is getting about half the work at PT and even less at home than the first knee. I, too am noticing more discomfort/pain with this knee but its just in one little place to the inside of my kneecap. Mentioned this to Mr Jeano and he asked was it getting infected? I said I doubted that, since pain is mostly relieved when I press on it. I figure you'd have to scape me off the ceiling if I tried that on an abscess! However, the more exuberant of our dogs has unerring aim in giving that spot frequent tail whaps. Hate those.
 
Hi Ellen,
Sounds like you are going great! Go you for getting your new up on bed and lifting the leg. ;) You've got this! Yes great observation about having no more knees left - ha ha I bet that brings a smile to your face every time you think it. I hope that they have given you adequate pain meds and that you are sleeping ok.
Rest up, take care love Deb
 
@NetballKnees Sounds like you are on the mend. Make sure you are icing the back of your knee. You can massage behind the knee using the web area between thumb and finger start a little on the calf and push forward toward the thigh. Hubby's PT showed us how. Have a great day! Hubby is also glad he has only 2 knees.
 
@NetballKnees

Hi Ellen,

Great progress in a short time !
75 is your current lucky number & with those legs lifts a career as a "Can Can" dancer could be in your future !

Again Irish hugs}}} to you,

Cathie :flwrysmile:
 
Hello All ... Unfortunately I come on Bonesmart this evening as a sook. It has been a long, drawn-out, painful day and I suddenly realised that I have no "friends" that I feel confident in ringing and wetting their shoulders with my tears. Friends I have known for over 20 years "forgot" my surgery date, so therefore did not offer any support during my hospital stay or after coming home. One of them has realised because they saw a photo on FB of the scar, but apart from a hasty text message "Can't believe I forgot your surgery date", have not even asked how I am going.

I do try hard to be a good friend. If it was something I knew about, I would not forget a surgery date, especially such a big surgery, of any of my friends. They say that what goes around comes around, so somewhere, some time in the past, I must have been a horrible person.

I do not want to ring my daughter or any of my sons to cry on their shoulders. My daughter in particular is doing so much for me already, and men do not understand emotions readily.

I am supposed to travel to Canada next year with the group of friends who have not been in touch at all, and am starting to wonder how they will accept any limitations I might still have while on tour.

My dogs are suffering. They so badly need a daily walk and I simply can't afford to hire anyone to do it.

I'm sorry everyone ... today seems to be a really "wallow in it" day. Hope everyone else is well and all recoveries are proceeding on track and as pain-free as possible.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom