Guest viewing is limited

TKR Second time around. Knee #2

last time I lost flexion in the first couple of weeks , but we will see.
Don't worry if you do; it's temporary. You are still so early in recovery that there will be internal swelling that restricts the bend. Your bend will improve as the swelling goes down.

Great that you haven't had much bruising this time. Perhaps you are icing and elevating more? I know that made a big difference for my with my second round.

Just remember: every knee is different, even two knees in the same person. :SUNsmile:
 
The bruising is mostly a factor of how much bleeding occurs during surgery. It can be less if your surgeon spends less time with the surgery or is able to maintain good control over the bleeding. But it’s definitely a good thing that your bruising is less this time. It sounds like you’re doing just great.
 
Sleeping + staples out + ndependence getting into and out of the car = A DARN GOOD DAY :yes!:
Don't sweat the numbers; it's the function that counts.
 
Thanks to you all for your encouragement…… it really helps posting on here!
It’s 2 weeks since my op and today was my first physio appt.
My extension is really good….
My flexion measured at 90 degrees with no effort , it was 70 when I was discharged.
We discussed all my home exercises and I told her that I just cannot bear the heel slides so she produced a box and I did a few lunges with my operated leg on the box and my flexion went to 110!! This is clearly an exercise than can work for me by standing on my bottom stair, or a sturdy box, and pushing my leg forward on the lunge.
So I have my next physio appt a week on Tuesday. I will continue my home physio in the meantime, incorporating my new exercises into my routine.
I have been advised to use one crutch and really concentrate on my walking, heel toe, so that I don’t develop a limp.
I also managed to get into my friends car, which is quite low, with ease and we even went for a coffee afterwards.
The weather in the UK has shifted dramatically and today it’s rainy and cold so unfortunately it doesn’t look like I’ll be walking out any time soon.
Anyhoo… 7.5 hours sleep last night so I’m hoping this run will continue!!
For the next hour I’ll be under my duvet with my leg elevated and my ice pack on.
Happy healing Bonesmarties :)
 
also managed to get into my friends car, which is quite low, with ease
Another milestone to check off!

Glad to read that you are doing well. Just remember not to push so hard that you overdo things. At two weeks post-op, you are still very early days in this recovery and it's easy to set yourself back. Slow and steady.
 
Thanks for sharing an update, Loulou.
It's good to read physio is going well for you. Looking forward to following the progress you make with the help of the therapist and the effort you're putting in at home. Have a lovely weekend! :SUNsmile:
@Loulou67
 
You are doing so well for such a short time out from your surgery! Just be careful with the lunges, it's really easy to overdo and anger your knee. You want to stay out of that Over Did It Club!
 
I’m taking it easy today…… I’ve been averaging between 2500-3000 steps a day, and that’s just from walking from the hallway to the conservatory and back and normal trips to the kitchen, bathroom etc…. I can’t sit for too long.
My leg is very achy today….. it’s not overly swollen it just really aches so I’m currently lying on my bed elevating to see if that will help.
I’ve had pretty decent sleep the last 3 nights but again, I just feel wiped out today.
I’m thankful I don’t have any real pain at all and although I have a little tight feeling where the tourniquet was it’s nowhere near as painful as my last op and bruising really isn’t bad at all.
I’ve also had a bit of backache today but I’m finding that a hot water bottle on my back really helps that.
I haven’t done any home “physio” today , I feel I need a rest day…… hopefully I’ll be back on track tomorrow.
Happy Healing x
 
That is a whole lot of steps for only less than 3 weeks out from your surgery. No wonder you are achy. Why not trying to cut that step count down by at least a half? You should feel better after that. You are doing so well and don't want to have any setbacks.
 
@sistersinhim to be honest I’m not doing it deliberately, but I totally understand where you’re coming from and I will be keeping an eye on my count going forward, as you say, I’d hate to go backwards now x
 
I totally understand the need to walk frequently - our new knees don't do well with prolonged sitting or even lying down! - so I suggest you set a timer for 5 minutes when starting to walk.
 
Just walking around the house doing your daily activities will add those steps up. At your early stage, I was doing around 1000. As I felt better, I slowly increased my activity to include one house or yard chore. The next day was dedicated to the routine of icing, elevating, and resting. I found this worked very well for me and mostly kept me out of the ODIC!
 
A relatively relaxed day today….
6 hours sleep last night.
Showered and put on a small wash load today.
Going a little stir crazy ….. can’t wait for Friday as my OH is off for 4 days so I’ll be able to have a small walk outside each day, I’m nervous to go out on my own just yet and have been taking little strolls round my garden, which isn’t very big but gets me in the fresh air.
The knees been a little jumpy today which I’m taking as a good sign.
Only taking paracetamol during the day now and one codeine at night time.
Only 10 more days of blood thinner injections, thank goodness… my belly is nicely bruised!!
No physio this week so I’ve been gently pedalling backwards on my little pedal machine that I bought. Hopefully this will continue to help with my flexion.
Hopefully seeing my granddaughter tomorrow….. happy days ahead .
 
Sounds like a good amount of activity this early on.
Fresh air and walking outdoors are definitely mood elevators!
 
You've been making decent progress. Enjoy the four days with hubs while he's off work and sweet times with your granddaughter tomorrow, Loulou.
@Loulou67
 
So……. It’s 5.11am here in the UK and I’ve been awake since 2.15am after having had 3 hours sleep and no afternoon nap yesterday.
I just cannot get comfortable!! My leg is just soooo achy. I’m not in pain just this awful ache non stop. I’m icing, I’m elevating, I used a heat pad under my knee yesterday afternoon, which actually helped for a while…. But this constant cycle of aches and lack of sleep is really getting me down, that and the loneliness of this recovery.
I went out for a short walk yesterday….. just 15 min round the block, with both crutches, it was good to get out in the fresh air, but I literally didn’t see a soul while I was out.
Thankfully my beautiful granddaughter came to visit for a couple of hours and she was a joy.
OH is off for 4 days, after today, so I’m really looking forward to the company and being able to get out and about a little bit.

It’s good to have this platform to “rant” on….
I’ve just applied a fresh ice pack and I’m going to try and get a couple more hours sleep….. Happy Healing x
 
9:22 pm here! :wave:
Insomnia is a real bummer for many of us in the initial weeks after surgery. It's generally not the meds, it's... everything about the trauma, discomfort, energy drain!

Definitely sleep whenever (and wherever it's safe and comfy!) - many of us sleep and/or nap in a recliner, or surround ouselves with soft pillows.

Icing, elevating, napping.... All help, but you might also consider some nonprescription remedies....

If you're lactose tolerant, a glass of warm milk! If you're not diabetic, a teeny bit of honey makes it even more comforting... plus milk is high in magnesium! Helps us relax!

If you aren't a milk drinker, or want an easier way to, an evening magnesium supplement has been very helpful for some members.

OTC diphenhydramine, an antihistamine also used as a sleep aid (Benadryl) because it makes you drowsy; it's also included in some cold, flu, etc "nighttime" combination meds.

Low dose melatonin, sustained release - not for long term use but I have used for a week at a time without ill effect. It should be taken an hour to hour and a half before going to bed, and during that time stay in a dimly lit area to allow this hormone to activate.

Valerian root - an herbal remedy, it can be taken in capsule form but that dose might be high compared to my preference, herbal "sleep" blends that include a smaller dose of valerian and make me pleasantly drowsy. Plus the other tea flavorings make it nice tasting! Celestial Seasonings and Traditional Medicinals sell teabags by the box. Their sleep blends without valerian have never ever made me sleepy.

What finally worked for me: a mug of sleep tea with valerian followed by a 3 mg sustained release melatonin, immediately going into a dimly lit room and relaxing. When I got sleepy, turning off the light and lying down with my legs up on the Lounge Doctor. After a few hours I would wake, move the Lounge Doctor away, and sleep more.

Be aware: even benign herbals and supplements can interact with your routine or post op prescription meds, either making their effects weaker or stronger. If you're on meds you may want to check with your doctor or pharmacist, or even check online for interactions.
 
That achy feeling you’re experiencing is a form of pain and you need to be treating that. It is common when you’re in the early months of recovery to have this problem at night when you’re trying to sleep. Please try taking two 500mg of paracetamol at bedtime. Set your alarm to take another two tablets after 4-6 hours - whatever works best for you to get back to sleep. This should help not only with your knee, but also with your overall feelings of loneliness or depression. Constant pain can really do a job on us mentally. Relieve the pain and your mental health should improve.

At this early stage, do not feel like you must be awake all day. Napping is perfectly fine and good for you and your knee. Your body heals best during sleep. So allow yourself to doze if you can.
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Back
Top Bottom