Guest viewing is limited

TKR Second time around. Knee #2

@EalingGran No, I had a dish I’ve had before and never suffered like this in the past ??
I had a tiny itch begin yesterday and took an antihistamine tablet straight away….. I had 8.5 hours sleep last night, which was great.
Today, however, I think I’ve joined the ODIC…. I woke up with a swelling above the knee cap so I think I’ve worked my quads too hard the last couple of days so today I’m having a pretty easy day….. although I went on my little set of pedals earlier and managed to pedal the right pedal clean off !!! :upright:
 
I had a dish I’ve had before and never suffered like this in the past
Keep in mind, that an allergic reaction can happen, even if it hasn't other times you've eaten that menu item.
It says online that an allergic reaction can last 24-48 hrs, or longer. See if you notice any itching today. If you do, you mentioned you are off the pain meds, is there anything else you're taking that may be causing the itching?
You may want to look up side effects of all you're taking to see if itching is mentioned.
Have a rest / ice / elevation day and hopefully you will feel better tomorrow. :)
 
So……. I’m 5 weeks post op tomorrow and this week my knee is fine, however I’m very hard and swollen at the top of my scar line, which doesn’t help my bend…… I’m sure I remember going through this stage last time round but thought I’d attach a very bad pic of my leg for some reassurance??
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Second time around.  Knee #2
    IMG_8789.webp
    28.2 KB · Views: 58
If it's not red and warm, it may be the tight band we talk about... You might increase icing and elevation and try very gentle circular and crosswise fingertip massage. If it gets worse, or if there's redness or heat, you can contact your team.

Tight band feeling after knee replacement is one of the most common complaints I read from members, and it sure bothered me.The sensation is a combination of generalized swelling plus physical trauma to the thigh muscles due to both having had a tourniquet and to being moved around like crazy plus a response to internal tissues being cut. With all that... It resolves slowly.

Josephine, our Nurse Director Emeritus, explained the part about healing tissues nicely:

"That tight band is caused by scar tissue but not the adhesions type of scar tissue. When the surgeon opens up the knee, he has to undercut the skin and superficial structures from that centre line to each side of the knee in order to get good access all round the bones. Part of the healing process is when those flaps reattach themselves to the main body of the leg. This healing creates a thin layer of scar tissue across the front and sides of the knee. But scar tissue isn't anywhere near as flexible as normal tissue so it feels like a tether or a clamp across the knee if there is any swelling and during later normal activity.

It will gradually reduce in size and thickness over the following months until it reaches a point where it's not substantial enough to cause this sensation, same way as does the incisional scar in the skin. But be warned that this can take several months to dissipate completely and sometimes or every time, lots of walking or standing can make it worse. It differs greatly for every individual."
 
The photo is kind of dark and hard to see, but if you continue to feel unsettled see if your OS's office will let you forward a brighter photo for some reassurance. Hope you have a nice Friday and weekend, Loulou.
@Loulou67
 
5 weeks post op and today I went to visit my father in law…… 30 minute drive there , as a passenger, and didn’t take a crutch with me, which is a bit of a milestone, I think.
I have had to put a dressing on my incision today though because I have found that my trousers are rubbing my scar and it’s making it itch and uncomfortable.
Another win is that I’m lying in my bed now and I have no pillow under my leg and I feel comfortable with my leg flat on the bed…..lets hope that by next Saturday I’m able to drive my car….. Happy Healing to all x
 
Thanks @Loulou67 I’m on a bit of a blip at the moment. Stuck on a plateau with inflammation which increases pain and stiffness. Physio says I’m doing well and it’s time and anti inflammatories. Tried 8 days of ibuprofen and it helped. As soon as I stopped it was back again. It’s disappointing as I thought I’d be further on by now.
So GP trying Celecoxib for one month, then a week off and see what happens. Here’s hoping.
How are you today?
 
@Legseleven I hope all goes well for you……
I’m okay….. had my longest walk today and 25 mins pedalling….. my leg just aches sooo much and it does get me down to be honest….. I’m nearly 6 weeks out now and it’s gone so fast but on days like today when it’s a constant ache it just feels such a long journey…..but we keep going and we know in the long run this will all be worth it….. chin up… take care x
 
Legseleven is right. Your leg may be responding to too much activity this soon in your recovery. You might try doing any exercises in smaller amounts throughout the day.
 
Happy Two Month Anniversary! :wave:
How is recovery going, Loulou? I hope the aching you described in your last update has eased. Let us know how you're progressing...as time allows. We'd love to read an update from you. Until then, take good care!
@Loulou67
 
Happy Three Month Anniversary, Loulou!
It's been awhile since we've heard from you. I hope all is going well as you continue healing from surgery.
Wishing you a Merry Christmas and hope to hear from you soon!
@Loulou67

:merry-xmas-smiley-emoticon:
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Back
Top Bottom