Guest viewing is limited

TKR Second time around. Knee #2

1 week post op.
7 hours sleep last night and could have happily stayed in bed, lol.
Had my dressing removed today and my wound checked.
All good…. Healing well so not been redressed….. staples out next Thursday….feels weird having it uncovered but seeing it as a positive :happydance:
 
Yay, on a good report! You can not buy a good night's sleep! Wait until you get those staples out; I bet you'll feel much better. I did.
 
All good stuff, Loulou!
Seven hours of sleep, the wound is healing as it should and you look happy jumping around in circles like that. :wink:
Thanks for the update. Enjoy the rest of the weekend!
@Loulou67
 
Day 8 has been somewhat different….
Only had 3 hours sleep last night and grabbed an hour this afternoon.
I’ve been up a lot longer today….. got up at 7.30 , had a snooze around 1pm and have now just gone to bed at 9.45pm.
Finally, after a week of trying, have managed to get myself a comfy little nest on my sofa ….. covered it with an old single duvet cover …. Lots of cushions.
Today’s wins….. I can lie on my bed and fully raise my leg in the air and hold it straight for a couple of minutes.
I’ve also been sitting on the arm of my sofa and letting my legs dangle and while bent, I’ve been gentle swinging them back and forth.
My knees been a little jumpy this evening, which I wasn’t expecting this early on tbh, but it’s not painful.
A week out and this recovery is very different from my left knee 2 years ago….. I think it really helps that I’m less afraid of hurting this knee and also I’m able to rely on my left leg to help my movements whereas last time round both of my knees were really bad.
Hoping for a better nights sleep tonight……. Happy healing to all, and thank you for taking the time to read my posts…. It really helps to keep a log of events x
 
Day 9…… 6 hours sleep so better than the previous night.
Got myself in and out of the shower again today…… dressed and up for the day.
Have done a few little chores today, much to my OHs dismay….. just folded and put away some washing…. Done the washing up after breakfast and tidied where I can…..
I made myself laugh this morning….. I’ve realised that when I’m walking down the stairs I’m like a horse doing dressage as I’m trying to keep my operated leg straight but also bending the knee a little bit and pointing my foot down …… if you can get that visual then you may chuckle too…..
anyhoo…… despite feeling exhausted I’m not doing too bad so I hope everyone has a healing Sunday x
 
Day 10 post op
Had the worst night so far.
No getting comfortable, managed around 4 hours sleep.
Iced more than usual and even had a stint elevating my leg on my lounge Dr pillow while in bed.
Got up at 6.30am and had a little walk around the house, which always seems to help.
Had a 5 minute walk outside with both crutches, nice to get fresh air.
Am managing on one crutch around the house now, which I’m pleased about.
OH is away now until Friday so I’m home alone. Got my staples coming out Thursday and first physio appt Friday.
Managed a little nap this afternoon so now I’m just chilling in front of the TV until bedtime at 9pm.
Very surprised at the lack of bruising this time around, it’s there but with my left leg it was ankle to thigh and such a tight painful area where the tourniquet was….. I don’t seem to have that this time.
One thing I do have in common with last time is my literal hatred of leg slides. I’m much happier dangling my legs while sitting on the arm of the sofa….
Anyhoo…… that’s a little update for today….. oh…. another thing I’m quite proud of is that my step count has been consistently above 2000 for the past 8 days….. it’s the little things that matter…….
Happy Healing all x
 
Got myself in and out of the shower again today…… dressed and up for the day.
Have done a few little chores today, much to my OHs dismay….. just folded and put away some washing…. Done the washing up after breakfast and tidied where I can…..
Day 10 post op
Had the worst night so far.
No getting comfortable, managed around 4 hours sleep.
Cause and effect? It seems you did a bit more than your 9 day old knee was ready for.

One thing I do have in common with last time is my literal hatred of leg slides. I’m much happier dangling my legs while sitting on the arm of the sofa….
Your knee just needs mobility, not a specific exercise. Just do what your knee prefers.
 
One thing I do have in common with last time is my literal hatred of leg slides. I’m much happier dangling my legs while sitting on the arm of the sofa….
I felt the same way. My surgeon suggested sitting on a stool high enough that my foot didn't touch the floor and simply swinging the leg back and forth, the way kids do. He said that motion was just as good, if not better, than heel slides because it was closer to the way we normally bend our knees.
 
@benne68 thank you for that!! That’s exactly what I’ve been doing and it’s good to know that I’ll help my recovery :)
 
Please see Roy’s skateboard pic. I use a furniture dolley from Aldi, it works brilliantly. I also dangle the legs and swing.

:welome: to BoneSmart

Items of furniture

1640595641543.png


A skateboard

1640595711316.png


See more ROM, Extension and Quad exercises https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/rom-and-extension-stretches.13159
 
Day 11 nearly over…….
Exhausted today……. Just had a day of ice, elevation and home PT exercises…….
6 hours sleep last night but struggling to get to sleep tonight……staples feel itchy and leg feels restless……. Hope to get to sleep soon…… Goodnight Bonesmarties……
 
Day 12…… today has been a slow day….. 4 hours sleep last night has found me in an emotional mood today…. Shed a tear or 2 this morning and I’ve pulled back on the exercises as I’ve had that tight band feeling all day across my thigh.
Brother and sister in law bought me a chippy tea and I’m now tucked up in bed at 9pm.
Staples come out tomorrow so that’s one more step on the recovery journey….
Hopefully tomorrow I won’t be feeling so sorry for myself.
Happy healing all x
 
Aww, hugs, Loulou. :console2:
You're likely not really feeling sorry for yourself. Recovery from joint replacement can be a slog. We get it. It takes time, patience and with the ups and downs, we're entitled to a "sad" day here and there. You're doing great and I'll bet once you get the staples out tomorrow you'll be feeling more like yourself.
Good Luck...let us know how it goes.
@Loulou67
 
Well today is a good day……
7 hours sleep, overall, last night.
37 staples removed this morning….. a little bit of bleeding from the top couple but all good and I got in and out of the car unaided so I know my bend has improved.
Compared to my left knee, 2 years ago, I have much less bruising so I’m expecting to suddenly find my leg is black and blue but maybe I’m just healing better this time?
Physio tomorrow so I’ll see how my flexion and extension are going, again, last time I lost flexion in the first couple of weeks , but we will see.
Happy Healing x
 

Staff online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom