Guest viewing is limited

TKR Second time around. Knee #2

OTC diphenhydramine, an antihistamine also used as a sleep a
This is sold as Nytol in the UK.
Best buy the 2 per night formulation and experiment with the dosage.
I am very sensitive and get a hangover with the full dose. I generally find half a tablet works for me.
In the early stages when sleep was awful- I got some zopiclone from my GP once I was off any opiates.
Gps are generally pretty reluctant to prescribe sleeping tablets but even they agree that knee replacement justifies a few weeks prescription.
 
3 weeks 1day post op.
Had a pretty good couple of days tbh….
OH treated me to breakfast out yesterday and then a short walk around a local marina.
I went to bed last night on just 2 paracetamol and slept for 6.5 hours….
Today I’ve been for another short walk… I really do believe that being outside for a short time helps lift your mood….and then this afternoon I’ve had 2 friends visit for coffee, cake and a good old catch up.
I’ve only had paracetamol again today and , other than feeling incredibly tired and unfortunately displaying symptoms of a cold, my leg has been less achy today.
Fingers crossed that it will now go from strength to strength… Happy Healing Bonesmarties x
 
Slow and steady. You’ve got this!! And you’re right about being outside. We highly recommend it, even if it’s just to sit a while and enjoy nature and the sun.
 
OH treated me to breakfast out yesterday and then a short walk around a local marina.
Sounds lovely and it's so uplifting to be engaging in life again. Out for breakfast, daily walks and visiting friends are all mood lifters, good for the soul! You're doing great, Loulou, Happy Sunday!
 
What an uplifting post! You are an inspiration! You are so right about being outside. That sunshine and fresh air works wonders for us!
 
Up at 7am today ready for an early PT session.
PT was happy with my progress.
My Rom has gone from 90-104.
My flexion is good but the back of my knee doesn’t sit fully flat when I lie down so I need to work on that.
Been given some new exercises to try and after Friday I’m going to be using my pedals to get my knee moving more.
I was also told that after Friday I can start using E45 cream on my scar line.
Also on Friday I will be injecting my last dose of enoxaparin into my tummy…. Which I’m very grateful for as my tummy is very bruised!!
Had my first visit to the supermarket after physio , just got a few essentials.
Just managed to do some ironing while sat down and now I’m going to have a little nap as the leg has stiffened up.
Happy Healing everyone x
 
My flexion is good but the back of my knee doesn’t sit fully flat when I lie down so I need to work on that.
Extension always takes longer and you are still early on- so don't worry too much.
Just try to walk with a good long stride to stretch the leg a bit.
Later on you can lie on the bed on your tummy and let the lower leg hang off the bed. But this is quite a strong stretch and I would leave that for a few weeks.
You can also just lie on the bed and gently try flexing your foot and clenching your quads which pushes the leg flatter. Don't put any weight on the knee or push the knee with your hands though.
It really will come. Don't worry.
 
the back of my knee doesn’t sit fully flat when I lie down so I need to work on that.
I found it very helpful to walk with a longer than normal stride with a heel to toe gait. If you try this, make sure you have things close to you that you can grab on to, just in case you lose your balance. Those large tendons and muscles in the back of the knee will take a while to stretch out, but this exercise was less painful for me, and worked! Of course, it wasn't overnight, but in a few weeks, the back of my knee was resting on the bed.
 
So ……today marks 4 weeks post op of my right TKR.
I’m now walking outside for 15 mins a day, with one crutch……
I’m using my stationary pedals to help my bend.
I’m only taking paracetamol for pain relief.
I learned yesterday that I’m not yet ready for vacuuming the house!!
I can iron , sat on the edge of my bed.
I’m doing laundry, doing my partners packed lunches and he cooks dinner and I wash up.
I’m slowly getting back to “normal”.
I don’t use my crutch around the house anymore.
I’m still icing regularly and elevating morning and night.
I’m still up and down with sleep so most afternoons I lie on my bed, elevating my legs and occasionally napping.
My emotions are up and down….. it gets lonely at times , stuck inside with no visitors, but I’m lucky that I usually have a couple of visitors a week.
I’m watching a LOT of trash TV , lol!!
I’ve been able to dress myself , including socks!! And shower myself since I got home.
I find the evenings/ nights to be the times that I struggle getting comfortable and my leg aches, although it gets less each day.
Hopefully this post may be read by someone struggling and may help them see that there is light at the end of the tunnel…… it does get easier…… we all get emotional at times, but with a lot of patience and a lot of self care, we can get through this and hopefully achieve a pain free, more mobile future……..
Oh…… and I can’t do stairs foot over foot yet……. I’m happy doing one step at a time till I feel ready…..
Have a great weekend….. happy healing x
 
@Loulou67 at four weeks you're doing really well!

I just want to bring our Activity Progression back to your attention so you don't try things like vacuuming for a while again. Try and stay out of the ODIC a while if you can!

Week 3​

Continue with all previous activities. Gradually increase walks to 5-10 minutes, several times per day, as tolerated.
New activity: Begin preparing simple meals or snacks for yourself to encourage gentle movement and independence, while staying within your current mobility and energy limits.

Weeks 4-5​

Continue with all previous activities. Begin extending your walks to include time outdoors, such as in the garden or along the street. Aim for up to 20 minutes or more, depending on your comfort level. Remember, a 20 minute walk means 10 minutes one way and 10 minutes back. Plan ahead to avoid over exerting yourself.

Begin light household tasks as tolerated. This may include gathering a small amount of laundry, placing a few items into or removing them from the washing machine, but avoid handling a full load. You can also begin light dusting or tidying. Simple meal preparation for yourself is appropriate, but avoid cooking full meals for others or standing for prolonged periods at this point.
 
learned yesterday that I’m not yet ready for vacuuming the house!!
I didn't do that for many months. That was one bonus of surgery as far as I was concerned!
I discovered that I could live with much more mess than I thought. A combination of getting others to do housework and massively lowering my standards to prioritise my recovery was my plan.
 
Sounds like you're doing really well, Loulou. Thanks for the detailed update and your encouragement for other members. I looked for these types of posts to roughly gauge when I may, or may not, be doing things post op.
Happy One Month Anniversary! I hope you have a nice weekend. :SUNsmile:
@Loulou67
 
I bought a Roomba vac to do my floors until I could use the upright vac. It was very helpful in keeping the surface dirt and cat hair under control. Any little thing to help us through this recovery is a blessing!
 
So…… last night was the worst ever!!
I had a good day…… had a walk, used my pedals am and pm….. did some work on the back of my knee……
Had takeaway Chinese for tea and a bottle of Budweiser….. first alcohol in 5 weeks now I’m off my medication.
Went to bed at 9pm because I was shattered, then the itching began….. my whole body itched …. Felt like I had a little bit of a rash…. Got up at 1am in sheer desperation and managed to find 1 anti histamine, which I took and the only way I got relief was to put my ice packs on my body to stop the itching.
Managed to get 3 hours broken sleep….. rash has gone, showered this morning and took a slow walk to the store to buy a pack of anti histamines….. has anyone else experienced this???
 
Oh my goodness, something definitely did not agree with your body. I hope you can figure out what it was and keep away from it in the future. I'm glad your knee didn't misbehave after your active day. That was a whole lot of activity for at only 1 month out. Be sure to watch for your knee's reactions to the things you do.
 
I am sorry you had a rough night, Loulou. As far as the physical pain, you may have overdone it with the activity yesterday if you were more active than normal. It doesn't take much in early recovery to push us over the edge. So consider that and see if you feel it applies.

As far as the itching goes, my first thought was an allergic reaction to the Chinese take-out. MSG is often an offender as well as soy and shellfish for some. If the food you ate is the same food you've eaten many times, you can still develop an allergy at any time. In doing a quick search, you may be interested in doing one yourself, the beer can increase the allergic reaction due to a few possible ingredients.
May have been a bad combo? May be a new food allergy, your body reacting differently to a familiar food? May be none of the above and remain a mystery. Thankfully it's gone and hopefully you can get some extra rest today, to make up for the rough night you had. Glad you're feeling better and hope today is a good one! :)
@Loulou67
 
I get crazy itching from time to time, and when I can’t bear it take antihistamine. Can’t work out what it is. I sympathise hugely.
 
I am sorry you had a rough night, Loulou. As far as the physical pain, you may have overdone it with the activity yesterday if you were more active than normal. It doesn't take much in early recovery to push us over the edge. So consider that and see if you feel it applies.

As far as the itching goes, my first thought was an allergic reaction to the Chinese take-out. MSG is often an offender as well as soy and shellfish for some. If the food you ate is the same food you've eaten many times, you can still develop an allergy at any time. In doing a quick search, you may be interested in doing one yourself, the beer can increase the allergic reaction due to a few possible ingredients.
May have been a bad combo? May be a new food allergy, your body reacting differently to a familiar food? May be none of the above and remain a mystery. Thankfully it's gone and hopefully you can get some extra rest today, to make up for the rough night you had. Glad you're feeling better and hope today is a good one! :)
@Loulou67
Agree with @ Layla. An allergic reaction to the Chinese meal seems the likeliest explanation to me. Have you ever had something similar before?
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Back
Top Bottom