Guest viewing is limited

TKR Second time around. Knee #2

Hello @Loulou67
You'll notice that I have merged your two threads together again, as it's best if members in recovery only have one thread. We find it much easier for everyone.
 
My goal before I see her next Friday is to be able to lift my leg unaided, which I feel will be a challenge, but I’ll do my best to get it done.
This can take some of us a couple of weeks to accomplish, so don’t try too hard, or stress about it. It will happen when your leg is ready.
 
Probably too much info here but I’ve struggled a little bit today because I’m having to spend the majority of the day upstairs so that I’m close to the bathroom because the laxatives are defo kicking in…… hopefully I’ll have a better day tomorrow!
 
I iced and elevated the whole time I was sitting or lying down for the first couple of months. This helped to keep the pain and swelling down. With the lesser swelling, my ROM was better. If I went more than an hour or so without icing, my knee puffed right up. This increased my pain and reduced my ROM.

As long as you have a thin cloth between you and the ice source, you can't over ice. I firmly believe in icing! It kept me off the strong pain meds longer.
 
Probably too much info here but I’ve struggled a little bit today because I’m having to spend the majority of the day upstairs so that I’m close to the bathroom because the laxatives are defo kicking in…… hopefully I’ll have a better day tomorrow!
Please don’t worry about addressing topics like that here. We’re all very familiar with these issues.

You mention “laxatives” and I hope you were just using that as a general term. Following surgery you should be taking non-stimulant stool softeners and not an actual laxative. In the UK, these would be products like DulcoEase, Movicol, or Laxido. These products do not artificially stimulate your system which can lead to dependence issues if taken more than a day or two. Instead they work by drawing more water into your bowels to soften the stool and ease constipation that comes when you are on pain medications.

Please don’t be worried about reaching a “goal” set by yourself or your therapist. All recoveries are unique to an individual and your body will reach that point when it has healed enough to do so. Definitely do exercises to keep your knee moving. Gentle bends and stretches that push just to the point of pain are best. Push harder and you risk inflammation that can actually slow your recovery. These first few weeks are for healing.

Icing for 20 minutes is not doing the job. You’ll need to ice for at least 45 minutes at a time to get the needed pain relief you’re seeking.

Please go back up to post #4 in your thread. Post numbers are on the top right of each comment block. Reread the recovery guidelines that Layla left for you. These short articles provide a lot of valuable information for your recovery.
 
Hello I hope you’re feeling better. I couldn’t lift my left leg independently for almost two weeks post op. There was too much swelling and the quads were inactivated. I used a leg lifter to help me get the leg on and off the bed.
My instructions post op were to just rest, ice and recover while making sure to keep moving regularly through the day.
I probably iced about 5-6 hours out of 24, and 3 of those times were at night. I couldn’t eat much at all for about 11 days, but drank loads and the bathroom trips kept me active with my frame.
It gets better, and I never forced anything, and any heel slides were done off the side of the bed with a plastic bag under the left foot just gently to encourage a little movement, and only sometimes. I often rested my heels on a rolled towel to encourage the relaxed extension, but really for the first few weeks I simply recovered and my transfers on/off bed/chair and walking were my PT.
 
Day 5 post op
Only managed 5 hours sleep last night….. very restless. Had to ice the knee in the early hours and take painkillers.

Big win for me though is that I’ve managed to shower and dry myself, unaided, without totally soaking the bathroom!!!
Hair washed and dried and now back in bed icing and elevating as I’m shattered.
Will try and have a little nap while the OH has gone shopping and then this afternoon I get a visit from my beautiful granddaughter who is 5 months old today :loveshwr:

Happy healing fellow bonesmarties x
 
I remember very well the exhaustion and sense of achievement after having a shower.
I must admit I didn't do it every day in the first 2-3 weeks!
Enjoy your grand- daughter's visit!
 
She certainly cheered me up this afternoon :loveshwr:
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Second time around.  Knee #2
    IMG_8675.webp
    88 KB · Views: 42
Day 6 post op
5 hours sleep….. very restless…. Left thigh very achy again so while icing my right knee I have a heat pad on my left thigh!
Feel nauseous this morning…… I have a call with my Dr at 10.15am to hopefully get more medication as I have already used all my cyclozine given on discharge.
I took 2232 steps yesterday , which is the highest count post op.
I plan to stay in bed till after my GP call and then get up and dressed .
Feel a bit down today, which I was expecting, so Netflix it is ……. Happy healing!
 
What a gorgeous baby. Baby cuddles are the best.
You’re doing so well. Hope you get the meds sorted quickly.
 
On, my goodness, she is adorable! I'm sure you gave and got plenty of hugs!
 
Aww, your baby granddaughter is so precious! I can see how she brightened your day.

I am sorry you're feeling, restless, nauseous and unsettled. Hopefully speaking with your doctor today and establishing a plan going forward has you feeling more comfortable. :fingersx: Please let us know.
All best wishes!
@Loulou67
 
Thanks @Layla , I feel better having spoken with my Dr today and tomorrow I’ll get to see exactly how many staples are in this leg when they redress it x
 
Is it likely to cause any damage sleeping on my side this early??
I’ve come to bed for a snooze before dinner and I’ve managed to get myself in to a really comfy position, on my side, operative leg down??
Couldn’t do it all night but can I cause damage napping for an hour like this??
 
My surgeon said not to worry about sleeping position and any position that was comfortable was absolutely fine.
It isn't like hips where I think some positions are not allowed early on.
I was able to sleep on my side fairly early on ( can't remember exactly when).
I used to lie on my side with my operated leg resting on the opened cool water jacket of my Cryocuff.
 

Staff online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom