THR Second new shiny new hip in and working good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good idea @chisels to get your bloods done, you may be low in iron.

I know it must be hard not to judge hip two against hip one.. I have read where several members have mentioned it, and I would imagine that this alone would make one feel a bit depressed.

I know when I saw my surgeon last September, he sat me down and told me that "recovery from the second hip surgery can often be a very different experience from the first one. He said that LLD is something that he pays particular attention to for example"

I recall my knee hurt for quite some time, you are still early weeks mate. I am sure it is a matter of time.. one day at a time :)


Poppet, you make me feel pretty good. You are right I have been comparing between the two. My first was virtually pain free. I didn't even take a Dilaudid past week 2 of recovery. The knee hurts not all the time but later in the day. I ice it and use tylenol, because I'm scared of narcotics, yet my PT tell me don't quit it cold turkey. I'm a very impatient, patient.
 
Aren't we all chisels1, patience is a hard lesson to learn when our body is control.. Don't deprive yourself of the meds if you feel you need them... Pain is pain and it comes in many different forms.
 
chisels1, Hi...maybe this hip was more of a challenge for the OS and had more manipulation than the first...my shin, knee and thigh were very senstive to the touch for weeks after surgery.....i was put on iron because of low blood counts after surgery...if they put u on iron...know that they r very constipating....so keep up with the prunes!! No sun certainly makes a difference in your mood...Take care & learn patience for yourself!
 
O.K. all you hippies, I have been getting charlie horses in the hamstring area from my butt to almost the back of my knee. I have been doing my PT twice daily and walking my driveway a couple times a day. This is not anything like my right hip healed but overall the hip and feeling is stronger.
 
chisels1 overall it sounds like you're doing pretty good. My two hips were/are still different. My second hip was worse and because of that it was and still is weaker. Sorry to hear of the depression but the weather can definitely do that. I hope you can get some sunny weather and you can get out there and enjoy it. Depression and days of feeling blue are all part of the replacements also. The surgery, drugs and just not feeling well along with not being able to the things you used to do are all depressing but remember in time you will do everything again. I have been so focused on what I can't do that I have to start thinking of what I can and most of it is without pain.
 
Littlejem I am back to work full time now. I have worked 3 weeks full time. That has gone by fast. I had some computer problems a few weeks ago here at home so I was off this site for a while. I will have to come visit your site to get caught up with how you're doing. It's a lot to get caught up with all the threads. I think I was on here for a couple hours last night and still have lots to read. The conversations have been flying. I have been reading about the Elmore Oil, I requested my free sample. That might be something chisels1 might want to get to help with knee pain.
 
Wow sandybeach working full time now, you must be feeling really good!! After so much time off I'll bet it feels strange to be back at work, I know you did like me and went back in between surgeries but if I remember right it wasn't full time? It must be wonderful to get back to normal life again with hopefully no pain to hold you back? :)
I know what you mean about catching up with threads, especially if you're working, it's bad enough when you're at home all day!!
 
Littlejem it is nice to get back to work but I still get very tired by the end of the day. Two surgeries takes a lot out of you. You will probably see that too or maybe you do now. Those afternoon naps are heavenly.
 
Littlejem it is nice to get back to work but I still get very tired by the end of the day. Two surgeries takes a lot out of you. You will probably see that too or maybe you do now. Those afternoon naps are heavenly.


I can't believe how tired I get. I stay up late past midnight. I don't sleep long maybe 5 hours then I'm up. I feel great ready to do something. Taking a shower knocks you out, taking a short walk, I do some engraving maybe 2 hours in my shop, then have lunch or supper and I dose off from 20 minutes to 2 hours. Not sure if I'll go back to work in the same time frame as my right hip surgery.
 
chisels1 after the second surgery I went back to work at 7 weeks and then it was 4 hours for one week. The second week I worked 6 hours and after that I was full time. If you can stay on medical leave longer I would recommend it. You had two surgeries, you're like me, the body has been through a lot and the more rest you can get now I believe the easier your recovery will continue to be.
 
Some days I can sleep the clock round and others I really just don't need it, it's all very strange!!
 
Liveringer I am doing really pretty good. We have had a pretty full weekend and I've been able to keep up. I even am doing some laundry now and bringing it up stairs....I usually hang our laundry on the line, so I have been carrying it outside, hanging it out and bringing it back in. I feel that the progress to my recovery is I haven't been pushing myself. I do what I feel I'm strong enough to do. I am lucky because it's just me and my husband and I can get away with doing what I feel like doing. I am back to full time work now. Last week I even had our two oldest granddaughters at our house for two days. For those two days after working all day I had them to care for and that went really well too. Littlejem I know what you mean, I feel pretty good some days but then I get to days when I just want to be on the couch. I am surprised that I haven't ran into some tired time this weekend but I try to sleep in on weekends and catch up on sleep. The tired time has got to be about your body working hard to get you healed up again.
 
sandybeach how is being back at work going, are you still feeling tired some days or do you think you are more back to normal? I'm about 2 months behind you and I know you shouldn't compare but it is nice to hear that someone, not too far in front of you, is doing so well. The emotional and physical strains that our bodies have been through is incredible and you do need to know that there is light at the end of the tunnel, I think this helps with the recovery. So it's such good news for you and for me that you are doing so well and I hope that life just gets better and better for you x
 
This starts week 6 post LTHR and I'm probably a week so far behind what my RTHR was in terms of feeling, being tired and getting back to work. Some times I'm so tired and I can't get motivated to do even the smallest things. I did some yard work the other day. I had all kinds of energy then it all went down hill in a hurry. I went to work 2 days last week for a maybe 10 total hours. Today I'm going in but I have no clue what to expect, plus I have a 35 minute drive each way and that can be fatiguing normally. I have some goals for next year, #1 get back to gardening and #2 play some golf again. I hope all of you have some future goals to look forward to as a way to stay uplifted.
 
chisels1 Did I ever tell you just how much like my brother you look, you could be his doppelganger, although you look like a slightly younger version!!! Of course we are surgery buds from our last op and I was a week before you in the first op, so really close when it comes to timings. Up to now, I have been back into work 4 mornings this time and will try to do 4 days this week although only 5/6 hours per day, I'm lucky that my boss is ok for me to do what I feel I'm up to. I must admit to feeling less tired this last week and not having to sleep but I suppose that could all change after a few longer days back in work!! I decided to not go in today as it's my last day 'officially' signed off sick, I could have had another 6 weeks but as I say my boss is flexible. So we went to have a look around a lovely little old cotswold stone church that we'd seen many times but never stopped to look at and then had lunch at the pub, with Henry of course, ah well all good things and all that, back to work tomorrow!!
 
Littlejem, well I guess its nice to know I have a handsome, fun loving twin somewhere else in the world. Having a boss who gives you flex time is a good thing mentally, it actually helps with healing. Its all about attitude and work can have a huge effect. Going back slowly is best, today I went in for 6.5 hours but it was just me and the owner working on some projects that we are behind on. We are closed Monday to customers.
 
Littlejem, chisels1 Liveringer anniemg Sorry for becoming lax here on the forum. I am doing quite well. Back to work has taken a lot out of me and then life in general too. After having a year of doing nothing and then going back to life almost normal again has been a fun change for me and very busy. I have been back to work full time now for over a month. At work we are into our busy time and I am right now involved in a 12 day schedule of no time off. But yes, life does go back to normal Littlejem and your's will too before long especially once you get back to work full time. I have family reunions, a wedding and now I'm even in the planning of a week long road trip....all of these I would have dreaded and either not done or had a very hard with just a few short months ago. One thing I'm having trouble with now is my right foot. It has been hurting really bad and swells up at night. I will have to go to a foot doctor and see what I need to do with that now. I feels like I've pulled something in it and by walking I keep injuring it. But my yard and flower gardens look so much better this year. Chisels1 I know what you're saying about the long drive into work and that being tiring. I get tapes of books and listen to them, makes my drive time seem like less. Liveringer how have you been? I hope you're doing okay and busy with your tournaments....and winning.
 
sandybeach, I have fallen behind in my reading on BoneSmart, and I'm so happy to learn that you are back at work and doing so well! I'm doing well, too. Tomorrow is three weeks from surgery, and I've been cleared to drive. I drove to the clubhouse today, and will do a little more tomorrow. Next week, my husband and I plan to go to a nearby SANDYBEACH at dawn to walk and watch the sun come up. I will think of you when I hit that SANDYBEACH!
 
BeckyR, Sandybeach, Littlejem, anniemg, On August 10th Me and the Mrs. head for Rockland, Maine. for a long weekend. My Son Tim is in the Coast Guard and is stationed there on the USCGC Abbie Burgess. His brothers are also planning to be there and we have booked 3 rooms at a local Hotel that takes care of the Military. Pool, Jacuzzi and Lobster is waiting for us. I plan on doing some walking and relaxing, the boys will get a tour of the ship and see their brother in his element for the first time. Rockland, Camden, Rockport are all coastal towns that you can't help but love. I was just hoping that this surgery would go well so I could do this and its been long awaited.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom