THR Second new shiny new hip in and working good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
chisels1, that is a worry when something like happens. I read on here if you do bend your leg a little too much and are wondering if it cause a problem you will feel a lot of pain to the point of not being able to walk. A few weeks ago when I got into my car, the soles of my shoes were wet and when I put my foot on the floor mat my foot slid in a direction I wasn't planning. I also got a severe pain right into my hip but I was able to walk okay and the pain went away right away too.
 
I was looking to see if the pain would subside after I left the office and went home but it was bad. I took 2 dilaudid and it helped and got some ice but the pain is around the back which makes it difficult to get ice there. I will call the Doctor's office tomorrow and will see what happens.
 
chisels1 it should be okay since you had x-rays. It is the hip you just had replaced? If so, I know that's scary but there's probably a lot of swelling going on, ice should help you just need to try to get it to the right spot so it will help....I hope your pain is better tomorrow.
 
Sandybeach, I think I'll be alright, I was just feeling so good and walking very well and then leaving rehab I twist something and now I'm probably a week behind maybe more. I was looking to see if anyone here experienced something close to see what they did. Ice I can't get it to my backside but I have been getting close and as I type this I'm feeling better but don't dare get up. Sandy how are you doing, things going as you expected?
 
Well folks, I'm home. Has anyone turned the wrong way getting in or out of a car and injured their hip?...snip snip... Anyone else twist or do something to aggravate the hip joint?​
chisels1 I'm glad you're home! And sorry you hurt yourself, but since the xrays were good, the implant itself is not the problem. What else besides dilaudid were you given to take home, for pain? percocet or oxycontin maybe? I was still taking nearly my max does of percocet at your stage of the game. I didn't start tapering till somewhere in the third week.
I haven't (yet) twisted funny getting in or out of the car, but I have caused moderately long-lasting pain by: walking on pavement, sitting too long in the wrong chair/s, feeding a cat (back), lifting (back), "don't know what I did" (pain in the butt LOL). I think these things happen, and many on here don't even know what it was they did to cause the pain. I hope yours is better soon!

hey sandybeach how are ya? Still hot up there?
 
Hi chisels1 - Yes, I've done twisty odd things. My first hip, 3 years ago, I hadn't been home many days and decided, middle of the night, to use the cane instead of the walker - and 3 steps out of bed the cane shot out and I almost fell, landed on my op leg which went at some crazy angle - all very frightening.
This time my worst actions were putting lotion on my back, twisting, and something audibly went THWUNK and I could feel something move :shocked: - very scary. At my OS appointment several days later, doc asked me if I could replicate what had happened, and..... no thwunk. He thought I'd perhaps broken some of the interior stitches which were disintegrating anyway, or broken up some scar tissue.
But it's VERY scary. My rule is, if it hurts 24 hours later, I am the squeaky wheel on the phone to the OS' office.
 
And, chisels1 - my worst complaint post-op this time has been a muscle spasm across one side of my rear end, just... fyi.
sandybeach - how are you? I haven't had time other than to check out my own alerts, and I come here to check on you, and here I am chatting with your friends..... But, here, I'm making carrot cake, and I thought I'd offer you a piece....:)
 
Way better today, slept through the night, ice and dilaudid has helped. The Doctor said it probably internal tissue or the stitches . I'm doing very little until the PT gets here, then I will let him know.
 
Chisels I've done awkward moves and the pain shoots through my leg. Went to see surgeon today and he said my xray was fine but im going to physio as my leg muscles think my hip is still gubbed. Hope your better. X
 
Our legs are so tender for a long time after surgery. One wrong move and it could put us in pain for a while. chisels1 you aren't even 2 weeks out yet so you need to baby that leg. I'm glad to hear that you're doing better today. Keep that ice near by. I think I iced my hips most of the time for the first 3 weeks and even on week 4 I kept ice nearby.
 
Knob Hip, the hip sticks out like a knob on a tree but it gradually goes down. My PT guy said we will do basics like the last time but because of the incident I had and the extra soreness, we will take it slow. Ice is so soothing, I think I've used it more this time but today I'm feeling good, using the walker even though the cane could be used. I'm very tired slept soundly til my boss woke me up. I thought I was dreaming didn't know what day it was and when I answered the phone I was in La La Land. Stairs will be a no no for now. I was doing stairs at rehab so well but I have to let what I did calm down and heal. The extra dilaudid is helping but it comes with a price. I will reduce the dose in a couple days.
 
sandybeach chisels1 I'm still icing and I'm in my 6th week. Granted, not all day every day, which I did for 3 solid weeks, but still, ice every now and then.

chisels1 did you have anterior? Your "knob hip" sounds just like my "goose egg" over my anterior incision, which started getting smaller in the 4th week. It's almost flat now-- yipee!
 
sandybeach chisels1 I'm still icing and I'm in my 6th week. Granted, not all day every day, which I did for 3 solid weeks, but still, ice every now and then.

chisels1 did you have anterior? Your "knob hip" sounds just like my "goose egg" over my anterior incision, which started getting smaller in the 4th week. It's almost flat now-- yipee!


Zauberflote, I had the posterior approach and have a 14cm scar on both sides, so I guess wearing a speedo is out, Lol It should go down like the right side did.
 
So pleased chisels1, that it is all settling down.

One thing to remember is that when your surgeon performs the THR they move our legs etc into positions we could never get ourselves into it.. rest, elevate, ice and prescribed meds.. and time :)
 
chisels1, I had my first hip replacement same day as yours....after a full day of work, I drive home sitting on ice and I usually ice for a period of time in the evening. I have good days & bad days...but mostly good. In August, I hope to be able to say "I have scheduled #2 hip as well"! Take care.
 
chisels1, I had my first hip replacement same day as yours....after a full day of work, I drive home sitting on ice and I usually ice for a period of time in the evening. I have good days & bad days...but mostly good. In August, I hope to be able to say "I have scheduled #2 hip as well"! Take care.


Do you still take pain meds? Also, good luck on the next hip.
 
Hi chisels1, I do not take any meds for my operated side. Most nites I sleep thru the nite. I did overdo it one weekend doing too much yard work & I needed a percoset that nite. I take diclofenac for my left side...right now it does give me some relief...hope that relief lasts until my OS visit in August.
 
Hey sandybeach how are you, you're not posting so much these days but I guess you're getting on with your life which is a good thing. Are you back at work full time yet? I saw that you were working 6 hour days, which are long days to get back into and how die the 8 hour shift work out? I've been answering a few work emails from work, it keeps me out of mischief and up to date with what's happening in the office but I won't even try and go back for at least 2-3 weeks. Take care xx
 
chisels1, I had my first hip replacement same day as yours....after a full day of work, I drive home sitting on ice and I usually ice for a period of time in the evening. I have good days & bad days...but mostly good. In August, I hope to be able to say "I have scheduled #2 hip as well"! Take care.


Recovery update, the knee of my left leg and newest hip hurts at times and I have iced it and take one 2mg Dilaudid. I don't recall that with my right hip. I also have seen my blood pressure slightly low and I've been somewhat depressed lately. We have AC in the house and because its been damp, gloomy and muggy we run the AC. The sun has not been around steady for a few weeks. I will see my PT tomorrow and will have a blood draw. Has anyone experienced any issues such as these and are they worth taking note or can it change daily?
 
Good idea @chisels to get your bloods done, you may be low in iron.

I know it must be hard not to judge hip two against hip one.. I have read where several members have mentioned it, and I would imagine that this alone would make one feel a bit depressed.

I know when I saw my surgeon last September, he sat me down and told me that "recovery from the second hip surgery can often be a very different experience from the first one. He said that LLD is something that he pays particular attention to for example"

I recall my knee hurt for quite some time, you are still early weeks mate. I am sure it is a matter of time.. one day at a time :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom