Guest viewing is limited

THR Second new shiny new hip in and working good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
@sandpiper Thanks for the holiday greetings. Have a Merry Christmas. If we get coal I hope there is a diamond inside! It's been a challenging year for all of us, so hopefully Santa will be kind.
 
@sandybeach Wishing you a very Happy Christmas and very best wishes for the New Year.
 
Beautifully said @sandybeach ! I also value greatly the friendships, support and advice this year! Have a very happy and healthy 2014 all my fellow hippies! Cheers!
 
[Bonesmart.org] Second new shiny new hip in and working good.
Hope you and yours have had a wonderful Christmas holiday with lots of family fellowship and sharing of gifts and lots of good food to eat.


I’ll be looking for you at the BoneSmart annual New Year’s Party. It’s been a very eventful year for most of us---and will be a very eventful year coming up for others of us looking forward to surgery in the new year.


Remember to bring food and drink to share---and pictures are always appreciated and loads of fun to share.


SEE YOU AT THE PARTY!!!!!
[Bonesmart.org] Second new shiny new hip in and working good.
bottomshollow
 
sandy beach..congratulations..your experience with superpath on both hips in inspiring. Your yoga body strength was likely a major help in the recovery...I feel a little scared being old and out of shape from being dormant for a long time of not moving due to the knee and hip pain even standing. It is time to do it. Did the dr. have to cut though any of the muscles. thanks sunnyQ
 
@sunnyQ .....LOL I do not have a yoga body. I have never done yoga in my life until now. I'm doing it now for the strengthening that it will give me. I am getting better but I was so badly out of shape before my surgery because of limitations. I had gained weight that I am now struggling with trying to take off. My hip pain came on really quickly even though, now looking back, I believe it was there for years. The major pain came on quickly and stayed. I battled with it for about a year before I came to terms with what the doctors had been telling me, that I needed hip replacement surgery. Those are hard words to hear no matter what your age is. But surgery has improved so much from even a few years ago. You need to find the doctor that you feel confident with. I went to Twin Cities Orthopedics and left totally confused and scared. I didn't want them touching me. The doctor I saw, looked at my X-rays pointed out that they both needed to be replaced, gave me some pain killers and told me to come back in 6 weeks. He was more involved training his intern and talking to others than me. I went home, got on the internet and started to take my medical care into my own hands. I searched for a couple weeks. Reading and watching videos on all the common hip replacement surgeries, the videos might not have been a good idea but I wanted to know what I was getting myself into and at this point I knew I couldn't live with all the pain I was in. I needed something done. Then I found this new procedure called SuperPATH. It is the less invasive procedure available today is what the site said. I decided that I needed to check this out more. I didn't want surgery but I knew I needed it so less invasive sounded good to me. The more I read and researched the more I liked it and then I found out that only a handful of doctors know the procedure. I got onto the doctors sight and found out that we have one of those doctors here in Minnesota. I did think about it and researched more and everything brought me back to SuperPATH. So I made the phone call. That was scary, making that call to schedule an appointment with a surgeon for a surgery you don't want to have. It made it all real. But from the moment I met Dr Olson I knew he was the surgeon for me. He was very interested in me. He answered all my questions. He told me all about the surgery, how he performs it. What I would expect afterwards. He said if I had any questions to give him a call. I did have a question and called him. He returned my call, not an office person or an assistant. The actually surgery, they don't cut through any muscles or tendons. I had no bruising at all. My incision was glued shut and then taped so no staples or stitches to be removed. I was up walking within hours of the surgery. I went home the next day after therapy and I was able to climb stairs. There are no restrictions. I was able to sit normally and comfortably in a chair. No toilet raisers or learning how to get into a car to keep from the breaking the 90 degree rule that other surgeries require. If I dropped something, I picked it up. There is a recovery time. You should only do the things that don't hurt and that is what you're told, if it hurts don't do it, wait until you're healed more.
 
you are an answer to prayers...this email was so comforting... I alsohave been looking at procedures on U tube. I thought the hana table and anterior was for me and did see a really well respected surgeon for this method. After more research, I found his method does not preserve the capsule and the hip is dislocated during surgery and on me this could increase risk to the femur due to my age of 70. Also Both of my knees are not good and the left one...same side as the left hip is very bad and needs surgery later. That knee is painful and another risk for me could be additional damage to the ankle and knee as a result of hana table type surgery. Another surgeon told me Anterior is great for recovery but some people bleed more so he has gone back to his procedure. I have found that many surgeons have spent yrs perfecting what method they do and have looked at superpath and anterior but he requires not just relearning but doing many patients with a new method is uncomfortable. Superpath I also found on the internet and watched U tube. I have now spoken with his office. On the internet there is reports of the legs not being same length after and a minor limp can occur. I did ask them abt this and they said if that happens it is just a small lift to put inside shoe. I am not sure how I feel abt that. Did you feel and length difference. I have read and re read everything you have said and feel so happy to hear from you. Did you have coumindin blood thinner. Did you have at home therapy? again thank you. SunnyQ I am seeing a surgeon today and then Dr. Olsen is next..
 
@sunnyQ I didn't have any leg length difference. I thought maybe between surgeries I would feel it because some people do. Sometimes you will feel a difference in length because after surgery your legs are the same length but you have become used to walking wrong and your pelvis is off. Therapy will help that. I didn't do any in-home therapy but I did go have therapy at my local hospital. Again be careful of therapy, make sure they don't do anything that will hurt you. If it hurts, don't do it. You will need to ask the surgeon about the leg length difference, only he can tell you if that is a possibility. When do you see Dr. Olson? I'm going to be seeing him a couple weeks. I have had some schedule conflicts and had to cancel my first appointment. Now with my new found life, I'm so busy that I need to calendar everything. I don't have a lot of free time during the week.
 
what hospital did you go to? How long did you go to therapy? I am leaving now for Eagan to Summit Ortho to see the surgeon that did my friend. She is over 10 yrs younger and has been a roller skater for abt 20 yrs and had the best piriformus ( spelled wrong he had ever worked with) Her recovery was excellent and also had her knee done which was a lot harder therapy. He does cut but the cut in length wise split of muscle not cut across. I do have to leave now and will keep in touch as I know more. The superpath seems ideal in many ways, but it is so new and there is no data of how long it will last.. and it is three pieces which has pluses and minuses to that. How fortunate I was the day I was trying to dig around on the computer to have found you and the others and the whole site. I am not a computer smart person. The fact you live here and had surgery here means a lot. Have to go. sunnyQ
 
My one year anniversaries for my hips were February 26th and then for my newest, April 12th so I thought I would give an update. I'm doing all the things that I used to do now with my 2 new hips. My life now is normal. This past year has been a year of healing. I took it slow and steady and I didn't have any set backs. Now that my 1 year is up for both hips I decided it's time to get active and lose some of the weight I gained due to inactivity and I joined a yoga class. I can sit on the floor and get back up again, I can even sit yoga style with my legs crossed on the floor. I am planning on spending this upcoming summer being very active. I love to garden and go up to the lake. All the things I used to do, I can do now pain free.

I want to thank this site and all those who gave me support when I desperately needed it. I feel I got on here at a time when so many wonderful people were going through the same thing. We had good times on this site. I couldn't stay away from the conversations, some of them on the "porch". They didn't all pertain to aches and pains but fun topics too. If anyone had an issue everyone came to the rescue with problem solving antidotes. I met friends here that I will always treasure. It still is mind blowing to me that we can connect like this, people from all parts of the world going through the same painful experiences.

I come back now and then to see what is going on but now I'm a visitor, not a big part of this community like before. Most of the people from back then have moved on. I see that they post occasionally and offer advice, I do the same. It looks like this new neighborhood is taking pretty good care of each other. This time next year they will be posting their 1 year recovery reports as they are passing through too.
 
Congrats on your anniversaries! Great news..thanks so much ..it so helps to know that life gets back to normal! X


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
[Bonesmart.org] Second new shiny new hip in and working good.
@sandybeach, it's good to hear from you and wonderful that everything is now back to normal and you're able to get back to all the things you love doing that were not possible before THR. It's always an inspiration for all of us here on the forum to hear a member's success story.

Take care and keep us updated. We care.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom