Bilateral THR SeaSiren's sweet new hips!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The more we can all relax into whatever state we are in the better off we will be. Mental attitude is huge...you can remind me in two weeks that I am saying this, SeaSiren...lol. Seriously focus on what you can do, how far you have come, and how well your body is dealing with really major surgery. You deserve a big pat on the back for all your progress. Make sure you acknowledge it!
 
Sounds like you are doing ok SeaSiren lets face it you had twice what we've had and to me it really sounds like a good report. I know it can be frustrating when you think you should be doing better but I know we've all felt that and so you're not alone there. I think that maybe the work schedule was a 'little' optimistic but you'll get there honest, just maybe not as quickly as you'd like! Slow and steady are the key words and you will get there when your body is ready. Hoping the in-law situation gets sorted quickly for your poor husband, my mum was disabled so thankfully with her alzheimer's she didn't stray as she couldn't leave her house on her own, which was a small blessing. When they get to the point of wandering off you unfortunately have to do something to protect them and my thoughts and best wishes come to you all in dealing with a very tricky situation. x
 
Did anyone see this?? Pippy the Pig has Hip Replacement In NY!! At least sweet Pippy has 3 good legs to stand on! :happydance: How the heck does he ice & elevate????
[Bonesmart.org] SeaSiren's sweet new hips!
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] SeaSiren's sweet new hips!
    pippy.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 338
SeaSiren well you reached one milestone before me-- you posted your 4 week update! You sound like you're doing very well. Careful with that behind the wheel stuff!
I too have totally unpredictable mood swings, usually crying out of frustration with some little thing. And my memory? Short term=shot. Long term=very unreliable. I forgot the names of a group of people I worked with once a week for about 6 weeks before surgery. Saw them again 2 weeks ago and total brain cell washout-- faces yes, names nope! I'm having more trouble with nouns than I did before, too. I sincerely hope this goes away!!!!
Will post later today I hope :)
 
SeaSiren Bilateral Sister - First, I'll address the pig, since I can't quite ignore that picture! Is it for real? A pig getting a THR?? OMG, was it just like a human's prosthesis? How interesting and bizarre, too. I wonder why he had it, was it from OA? Poor pig, I can sympatize with him.

You're 4 week report is great! You're doing really well. Congratulations :) It's amazing that you have the stamina to work a couple of hours a day. Can you keep ice on the bursitis spots that hurt when you sit? I used to do that in work as much as I could, and it helped.
I would just caution you to please, not rush the driving, especially if you're having groin pain in the pedal foot. "Beware of groin pain" is my mantra. Try not to do anything to aggravate it, and don't ignore it. I ignored mine, and look what happened to me. So take it as a sign that the tissues there are inflammed, and ice it as much as you can, and try to really go easy on that leg. It's smart of you to take your pain meds if you need them, as pain interferes with the healing process by producing stress hormones. Speaking of which.....too bad you're getting stressed about work now. Poor girl, you're so freshly post-op, I wish you could just rest and watch those beautiful birds all day long. But since that's not possible, just try to do what's physically possible, and spread the work out if you can. Maybe rest in between little bits of work.
You come first SeaSiren . You had double major surgery, be good to yourself as much as you can and let your body heal. You're doing great! Keep up the good recovery. I'm sending you all good thoughts and wishes. Take care.:friends:
 
Yes ByGosh it was jumping off the bed that got it into this trouble...............but why would you have a pig on the bed anyway, are they house trained or are you likely to get piggy droppings all over your bed :eeeuw:
 
Littlejem do you have these pigs as pets in the UK? her were very popular here maybe 10-15 years ago. People treat them like indoor cats or dogs. Little pigs are cute, but these ones can get obese really fast-- and then what do we do??

One of the most popular attractions at the Virginia State Fair (and fairs all over I expect) are the Racing Pigs. You have to see the races to get it, is is silly funny.:heehee: Oh my I just found a youtube of a 2008 race at my state fair, had forgotten that one of the Vietnamese pigs is named "Won Hung Too Lo":heehee:
 
Littlejem zauberflöte SeaSiren - Pigs in bed??! Gee, sounds like a children's book we used to read "Pigs Ahoy". It was very funny.
But anyway, pigs are very intelligent animals, and quite easy to train - smarter than dogs, I understand. They make good pets, except for the fat factor and the huge size that they become. Although, I do believe they have mini pigs now. I've read some stories about people buying supposed mini pigs as cute little adorable piglet pets, only to have them NOT be mini, but regular, and end up at 300-400 pound porkers! Then what do you do, after you'd had it for a year, you love it, it loves you, it's been on the bed, even, and it turns into a giant? Can't sell it for bacon -- too heartless, can't keep it in the yard, zoning codes may not let you. Oh dear, the dilemma of the big pet pig...
And how will they keep this THR pig's hoofs clean? I'll bet he can be trained to wipe them when he comes in. Or maybe he needs some type of pig shoe to protect them - but not a pigskin loafer! :rotfl: He might recognize it....

Okay, enough about the piggie. How are you doing today SeaSiren? I hope things are falling into place for your Mother and Father-in-law, so your hubby isn't too stressed out by it. It's such a difficult time for the children, when the parents need more care than they can manage at home, but refuse to or cannot recognize it.

How are you doing with the hips? Mine were so stiff, I walked leaning forward, with my backside sort of up in the air in the back, like a monkey. I remember being so upset for the first couple of weeks, because I thought I'd never walk normally again. I thought I'd always have a monkey-butt walk! I even cried about it! Those were the days when I cried over everything, it was all so stressful to me. I just had no idea it would be so difficult, and was very upset about it all. All part of the post-op blues, I guess.
I hope you're feeling better now, and that you're managing to do a little work without too much pain. Soon you can get your cortisone shot, and that'll improve things a lot for you. Keep icing in the meantime, at least it numbs things.
Take care, hon. Keep us posted. You're doing great so early in your recovery! :friends:
 
Well ByGosh... it's not as much monkey walk I have. More of a penquin waddle! :rolleyes:. OK friends, forgive me in advance for this little rant, but it helps writing and getting it out! :cry:

Sadly I had a little 'incident' on Wednesday - actually a few that sent me backwards in the recovery physically & mentally! :boohoo:
When I woke up I just knew it was to be an 'off' day. Hubby took me to PT - was doing OK, but getting tired... wanted to really push myself a bit though - trying to get more strength so I can finally drive! After about 40 minutes of stretches, peddling the bike and some exercises, my PT had me on hands and knees on the table swaying from one knee to the other to strengthen hips when suddenly my right leg went out and my hand slipped and 'plunk' off the table I went! :yikes:. Yeah it hurt! And I started balling and sobbing and just couldn't compose myself so Tony had to scoot me out of there fast! Was a combo of the pain and some embarrassment I think! He took me to get a sandwich and I couldn't stop weeping in the restaurant! And... those flood-gates continued all day - sooo not like me! Was so confusing.

OK by late afternoon I calmed down a bit then Tony had to stay with his Dad Wednesday night so helped me upstairs and left. Well wouldn't you know I had a devil of a time taking those blasted compression stockings off... finally gave a good yank on the same leg I collapsed on and - boom on the floor in agony! More boo-hooing :sad: and just laid there for 1/2 and hour till I could get myself in the bed! Good gawd I know I strained, tore, injured something... anyway I'm back on walker/crutches, icing and added some motrin to the cocktail. To add insult to injury - one of my better clients emailed and is 'moving in a new direction'... so I lost a nice account today - more :boohoo:. OK that's enough - I feel better all ready! (well maybe...)
 
SeaSiren aw sistah.... what a DAY! Injuries aside, anybody would have had a weepy day after all that adrenaline on top of only being 4 weeks out. Not to mention post-op blues. It was all perfectly natural, I would say. Exhausted, stressed, geared up to do PT, big accident with plenty of pain and fear, adrenaline all over the place, and then the adrenaline crash. Of course you cried!! I really am asking, what was the PT's reaction? I hope they wanted to call 911? I hope they took responsibility?

Would you consider calling the OS, or even going to ER now that it's the weekend? You might get better meds than just motrin? Whatever you did, you want to take really good care of it.

I'm furious on your behalf, actually. I do not see myself doing that exercise after 40 minutes of other exercises. I'm not even sure could do it fresh, without pain. And I only had one hip done, so I have a stronger one to balance me.

:gaah: :hairpulling:That's me.... I am SO sorry this happened. And the client of course, rotten rotten. Are you any better today? Moodwise anyway?

The driving strength will come when it comes. I'm learning that. I do well as a recluse, that is in my favor, but still, driving will come when it comes. Come back and let us hug you, ok??? {{{{ SeaSiren }}}
 
I gratefully accept your virtual hug sweet zauberflöte :friends:
As for my PT... she was horrified and called/emailed multiple times. Truly wasn't her fault - I was ok with the exercise at the time... my hip just wasn't! Who new? That's interesting about your adrenaline theory and my 'water-works'... makes sense. It was like the last straw let loose :cry:

I probably should have this injury checked out... hurts like a son of a gun. Going to baby myself all weekend and will see how it is on Monday... already cancelled PT on Monday:sorry:

Tony has helped a ton with my mood - he's a funny guy and short of standing on his head to make me smile... he has a good way of putting things into perspective! He even reminded me of my own philosophy 'everything happens for a reason'... he shocked me by saying he is so happy and relieved this client is bowing out!... I tend to lean towards work-aholism... and take on too many projects (my own doing - I'm a graphic artist/web designer) and wants me to slow down and enjoy life a bit more. He's right - I'm ok with it especially since I can barely keep up with any work now anyway!

zauberflöte I should probably put the following right on your recovery thread... and probably will! I hope you realize what a gem you are to ALL of us here! A favorite sorority sister who checks in on all her 'peeps' with giggles, advice, concern, compassion and tremendous empathy... we all adore & thank you for being YOU!!! :angel: xoxo
 
Oh dear SeaSiren I'm so sorry that happened to you! What a terrible story! No wonder you cried, you poor thing. Where does it hurt? Does it hurt to bear weight in the hip area, or someplace else?
You really need to have it checked, honey, as soon as you can. Maybe even tag someone here tonight, a moderator, or admin, and describe it to them. Or call the on-call OS, or go to the ER.
Is it bruised? How unfortunate! And it happened on Wed? How has it been since then - it's now Friday? Is it worse, or better? Did you consider calling the OS or going to have it checked, hon?
It was not your fault, you know. The PT had you doing too much. That exercise doesn't sound anywhere near appropriate for your stage of recovery, with two hips, yet. But regardless, the thing to do now, is be very, very careful, keep still, keep it elevated and iced, and stay off of it. Take your meds for pain and let the OS know or have it looked at as soon as you can.
Poor SeaSiren, I hope it's all ok....:sigh: We gonna be worrying about you!
 
Good golly sea siren what a time you have had...I hope you have gotten checked out or at least called your OS office to alert them that you fell off a table. Please keep us posted...
As for the deck we are taking the easiest way possible. I am knocking off the loose paint and painting over everything else. When we do the floor we will probably power wash it with just water to get rid of spider webs, dirt and some loose paint. I will then roller it an my husband gets to crawl round doing the edges. He is also stuck with the Ladder work on the outside rails. I will provide iced tea and encouragement!
 
SeaSiren... enough already, falling off things, onto the floor... Seriously though, hope you went straight into rest, elevate, ice and meds mantra :)

We had one member some time ago that we threatened to wrap in bubble wrap to keep her safe.. Don't make me come over there and wrap you up :)
 
I think poppet has given you really good advice and she has her bubble wrap at the ready if you don't listen!! :) I actually do think its the PT fault, on all fours on a table, for goodness sake I wouldn't want to do that even if I was perfectly all right, it sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. You poor, poor baby it's no wonder you had a crying session I figure even the hardest of people would have been overwhelmed with what you had to go through that day, a real corker!! I so, so hope everything is calming down and more importantly that you are feeling ok, it would have been a heck of a shock and I want you to be feeling a whole lot better. Take care, baby yourself and have some choice words ready for the PT if they ever ask you to do THAT exercise again!!
 
SeaSiren it's 9:15am in Virginia-- how are you doing today? Shall I tell you about my 26 yr old son who called me at 7:30 this morning and I was asleep? He wanted to know if what his throat looked like was tonsillitis .... like he doesn't have a perfectly good girlfriend at his side... (I'm 100 miles away...) "Mom, we're going to this wedding today, should I just leave it, it started when I went to the dentist [don;t know when that was....] and go to Patient First tomorrow?":doh:

:heehee: Did you laugh??:heehee:
 
Ha! Yes I did giggle at that one zauberflöte! :heehee: Just gotta accept you'll always be 'Mommy... and Mom knows what's best!' Our 25 yr old son just left Virginia this morn!! - was in training at Norfolk shipyard and loved VA! I had hoped to drive down to Logan in Boston w/Tony to pick him up but my grrrrr sore injury screamed no traveling for YOU today!!! sigh... I know... ice... elevate... and.........
Poppet that's a hoot!!! Bubble wrap - brilliant idea honey!!! :egypdance:

Thanks nmscienceteacher for your 'painting recipe'! Our deck/rails - at least right now, are natural pressure treated... I would like to use paint... hubby's thinking power wash then deck stain - he might have to win this one as I'm pretty useless at this point!

Thanks all for helping me thru this latest mess up... Littlejem that day certainly was a 'corker'! (love that :)) ByGosh yes, I'm seriously considering having this looked at - possibly today as I'm really struggling getting around and any weight on the right leg now puts me through the roof...yeoowww. :hairpulling: I wish I could figure out what is going on... frankly I'm not sure anything other than rest, ice, elevate will help??? I'll keep you all posted. Going to have to go back to some percoset today to get by I think.
 
seaSiren, I really think you NEED to get checked out. If you have just bruised a bit you should be starting to feel better...and you are describing pain that puts you through the roof. PLEASE PLEASE call your surgeon and tell them what happened and ask what to do. Trust me, they take too much pride in their work to be bothered by a call when something like this has happened. Were you on a low therapy table or a high one when you fell? And by the way...PT should have been standing by when you were doing an exercise that involves balance like that...especially since you are a bilateral and therefore have more to return about body mechanics than those of us who only had one hip done. PLEASE CALL YOUR SURGEON FOR ADVICE. And then let us know how you are so I don't have to get on a plane cross country and hunt you down to make sure you are okay.
By the way the crying reaction isn't all that uncommon...your body has stored up lots of stress and muscle memory around the trauma of injury and the trauma of surgery. When an area gets triggered like that it can unleash a crying jag like that. I had a couple of days like that with my knee when a relatively minor bump in the area made me start crying and I couldn't stop for quite a while. One time an eighth grader swung around to call to a friend and slammed me with her backpack without meaning to...I think it took me a half hour to stop crying...scared the **** out of my 6th grade class. All my kids were very, very good that day...word went through school like wildfire and they all knew I had been bumped and were worried about me. A bit embarrassing for me...lol.
 
Our 25 yr old son just left Virginia this morn!! - was in training at Norfolk shipyard and loved VA!
SeaSiren first, do please listen to nmscienceteacher and call OS now for advice. Really :) Second, your son was just a few miles and a little water from me!!! I hope he had some time to drive to the mountains too-- it's a great place to live for sure !

your body has stored up lots of stress and muscle memory around the trauma of injury and the trauma of surgery.
nmscienceteacher well that explains why I may cry if I even so much as gently twist an ankle and it doesn't even hurt! Many sprains there. My head too, but I can't think of a major head injury:scratch: And if I actually do hurt myself badly on some body part-- no crying! Thank you for the very sensible explanation :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom