Bilateral THR SeaSiren's sweet new hips!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh Happy Indepence Day to you too Liveringer!! You must be melting today like we are Karen!
Here's what my OS said yesterday... the good news is - no fracture or anything that needs surgery! :) Bad news is I severely injured my hip flexor or illopsoas muscle/tendon (see pict). :boohoo: This is what wraps around the entire hip that keeps all in place. That's why I kept feeling my hip 'clunk' around and can't lift my thigh from a sitting position at all - even when walking I have to shuffle!... my new hip is unstable because of the injury - has little support right now. And hurts like heck... So apparently there are tears and bruising that could take up to 4 months to heal... booooooo! Especially as I'm still recovering from the hip replacements. Otherwise he's very pleased with the recovery... So back to PT for some different types of therapy to heal this issue! He also wouldn't give my sore bursitis the steroid shots yesterday... will impede healing the injury... sigh... it tis what it tis :whistle:
Ok off to a little cookout -- happy 4th!
[Bonesmart.org] SeaSiren's sweet new hips!
 
[Bonesmart.org] SeaSiren's sweet new hips!
SeaSiren, that you have had this setback. It just shows how important it is to keep PT very slow and easy during the early months of recovery. We all need to remember that even though we're feeling pretty frisky---our bodies are still healing from very MAJOR surgery and need a lot of TLC for quite a long time.


The younger we are the more we tend to suffer from wanting TOO MUCH, TOO SOON and wind up regretting it. So PLEASE---take very good care of yourself. Look for all the PATIENCE you can muster to allow your hip the TIME it needs to heal properly. And when the waiting starts to get you down a bit, come to us and vent, vent, vent!!!!

Keep us posted, sweetie. We really do care. [Bonesmart.org] SeaSiren's sweet new hips!
 
SeaSiren Just saw this about your fall. A very scary experience and things can happen so fast! But I know this patience thing is not easy. I need the constant reminders. :puppysmooze:
 
SeaSiren, Oh ****!:groan: Sorry about that BAD news! Did your OS give you some new meds for the pain? I know it's hard, but resting & icing is the best medicine. Don't think about the 4 months....put that out of the equation. Patience....I don't have any...the kids killed that in me! Hard to tell someone else to be patient when you're not...Take care of yourself.
 
SeaSiren anniemg what great support you guys will be able to give each other when you can meet in person. I hope you can do that soon. What did your OS say about your hip pain and the popping out feeling?
 
SeaSiren, didn't read the last page of your thread before making that last post. Sorry about the longer healing time but I do so agree about taking things slow and easy. Recovery and your muscle strength returning does take time. I am now 3 months from my last surgery and every few weeks I see improvement. I do not push myself. Maybe I need to more than I do but I have not had any set backs yet and very little swelling. I measure my progress by how easy it is to go up steps now or how easy I can climb into our truck than before.
 
Thanks for the empathy, wisdom & pep talk ladies... bottomshollow, anniemg, Upstater & sandybeach! :yes: Patience is a verrrry hard thing to manage!! I know... (and hear you Annie!)

Anyway as much as this totally stinks... it's just the Universe telling me to slowww down - Sandybeach you are like the ultimate poster child!! So glad you're having such a good recovery... :egypdance:.

The doc got me a tad concerned with the 'up to 4 months to heal' comment (that's the whole summer and beyond!!! yikes!!) - but if I'm a very good girl I know it'll be much less!! He has me on Meloxicam for anti-inflammatories plus the ice, elevation, rest... and I'm going to get 'Iontophoresis' at PT- anyone have that?? I guess it's medicine that electrodes deliver to injured areas through the skin. Going to try that on the bursitis too. Oh and I'll be more diligent using my TENS and with the Elmore Oil... it really helps!

So I did have a nice afternoon with family for a 4th of July BBQ... but even a couple of hours out has me ready for bed!! I'll probably have to get caught up on everyone's threads/news tomorrow... :sleep:
 
Aww! SeaSiren, It is so disappointing when we have a setback.. It is hard to take and accept.. however, come here and vent whenever you want.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] SeaSiren's sweet new hips!
    image.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 174
SeaSiren I know you are disappointed in your setback but I know that by the way you post that you will succeed. You come across with a very positive attitude and I admire you for that. Your positive attitude will be your key to a full recovery which I know you will accomplish. Happy that you had a great 4th cookout with your family. Take care a sleep tight!
 
Oh ARGGHH SeaSiren hippysis what a bummer. But the good news is great news :) Take care of your hip, and of you, and go easy on everything. Great for me to say, I know. We're here, vent away when you get screaming bored. May I recommend Monarch of the Glen as my new favorite BBC tv show-- all seasons streaming on Netflix. It's getting me through more rest than I want to be taking!
 
SeaSiren Healing is a struggle for all of us. I don't want to come across as this is an easy thing for me and not for you and I hope I don't. You had both hips done together and I feel you're very brave to have done that, I don't think I could have handled that as easy as you are and then you had your accident at PT. I hope I can encourage you and help you through your healing and let you know I do understand what you're going through. I have had my down days thinking that this isn't what I signed up for. I believe what Liveringer said about keeping a positive attitude is the key. When you have trouble with that attitude come here to vent and I hope that helps, just remember we have all been there.
 
SeaSiren Glad you were able to get to the OS office, and so happy the implant is not damaged in any way. An extra four months of possible pain really stinks, but hopefully that is really the outer end, and you will feel better lots sooner than that. That fall must have been scary, and having to wait to see the doctor even more so. Glad the TENS and Elmore oil are helping. Hope you respond to the treatments quickly.
 
SeaSiren - Aww Bilateral Hip Sis, so sorry about the tissue injury! But the good news is that at least the implant is not broken, no bones are broken, and no surgery is required to fix it. Rest, ice, and time should take care of it for you.
I had iontophoresis for shoulder tendonitis and hip bursitis pre-op. Medication is placed on pads and it's driven into the tissue by means of an electrical charge. My medication was dexamethasone - a steriod. It minimizes the systemic side effects while delivering the med to the area that needs it. It should reduce inflammation and help pain. I found that it really helped my tendonitis, as I had 11 treatments for it, and it started to help the hip bursitis, but ran out of PT visits. They told me that the usual course of treatment is 10-12 visits per area treated. I think it will work wonders on your hip bursitis. I don't know about the other injury - I imagine it would reduce the inflammation there, too.
Good luck with it. We'll both be healing together. I'm almost 5 months out, and still working on recovery, so don't feel too badly. Oh, by the way, I got a TENS machine, and it seems to be reducing the pain in my hips so that I can be on my feet more without so much pain. Yay! I'm happy for any small bit of relief. So thanks for all of the info you gave me on that! I appreciate your help with it. :)

I'm just curious if your OS xrayed you or did he do other tests when you saw him? Just for my own info - I wonder if he saw the injured tissue and the tears by imaging, like an MRI or ultrasound, or diagnosed it clinically by exam and xrays? I'm wondering in case I can ask for the same to see what's going on with me.
 
SeaSiren, Hope you are feeling better now. I can't always tell from the postings whether what I'm reading just happened or happened some time ago. You have had a hard time, but you will come through it. Sometimes, taking a shower is all you can do. That is an achievement, and a step forward. Everything takes so much more energy when we are recovering. Have a good weekend!
 
SeaSiren, It is hard to be patient, isn't it? Our minds go "vroom, vroom, vroom," but the engine won't turn over, and the body just goes "putt, putt, putt." I feel so ready, at times, mentally, to rock and roll, but my body won't comply. For now -- the body is in charge. You have been so brave, and I hope you are feeling better day by day.
 
Hi SeaSiren, need an update.. How are your two shiny new hips progressing?
 
Hi SeaSiren I hope everything's ok for you. I'm not having such a good time of it here myself. It seems the tendonitis, or whatever it is, has a tight hold and I can't seem to get any better. Let me know how you're doing. I'm thinking of you. :friends:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom