TKR Schpooko's Recovery

Thanks I won't if I have to ice elevate and rest until the minute we leave I am going and will take it easy there too. I can get a wheelchair and that will not be taxing on the knee at all. Good Luck tomorrow Post when you can
 
Make sure the wheelchair is the kind you can elevate your leg on. Feet on the floor, or down on those foot pedals can be painful and cause swelling still at a month out.
 
Hi, Day 11 Post Op. Has anyone had this situation and if so, can you please advise what to do? My son came home with strep throat yesterday. I am only 11 days post op and he went this a.m. to the doctor to confirm. He is now on antibiotic and I have a call out to the OS, who comes in after 1, today. I am deathly afraid of any infection. Schools are a hot bed of germs. :tantrum2::holysheep::gaah:

If you have encounter this situation or Josephine if you please can give me any advise I would greatly appreciate it.

Otherwise doing good, no PT today because of son home with illness and staying on top of meds and swelling with ice as much as I can. Thanks all
 
When I had my preopertive training class, they advised to avoid sick people for 2 weeks. But alway remain vigilant with hand washing, if unable, have antibacterial gel at bedside.
 
Thank you. I do have that by my bedside. So I will continue to use it often. I do have a call out to the dr. who said they will call after 1 o'clock so I hope they call in an antibiotic to play it safe.
 
Day 12 Post Op Hello Everyone. Well, the Dr. did not want to call in an antibiotic to be preventive. His advice was to stay away from my son for 24 hours. So I have been confined to rest, elevating, and icing in the bedroom. I have been doing some walking back and forth around the room to get some walking in but this afternoon I will be showering and getting released LOL! from the bedroom to do some walking. I do have a dull ache behind the knee in one spot when the knee is extended out. Not when I stand but when I am sitting. Legs out. Any suggestions. I do ice behind the knee. Still taking all my meds but I need the Dr. to increase the dose I take in the a.m. just out of bed.

See the OS on Tuesday to get the staples out which I am totally looking forward to and I will mention to hm the pain in the back of the knee. I do get a pain in the front but I had my bursa sac removed because of damage done during the fall I had back in June so I expect pain in that area. Any ideas to the pain in the back would be appreciated.

Well, healing vibes to all Schpooko
 
You will feel so much better when those staples are out! Pain in the back of the knee is a common complaint. Are you icing it, also? That helps.
 
Just keep icing the back of the knee also. You’re so early in recovery that aches and pains in/around the knee are typical.
 
@Jamie Hi, I was just going to write to you when the door bell rang and it was Fed Ex with my Active Shield Present. So I did receive it. I have not yet read any of the instructions and such so I will do that. I do not get my staples or my bandage off til 10/16 late day... I am really looking forward to that. So I will get back to you after that time and let you know what is happening.

Schpooko
Can you please tell me what type of bandage you have? Is it just plain gauze that is changed every few days or a "sealed" bandage like AquaCel that is left on for a specified period of time? If it's the latter, we'll have to wait until it's removed on the 16th to start your Scar Shield test. Please take a look at the instructions before then and let me know if you have any questions. There should be some material in the package about the active ingredient in Scar Shield, Hypochlorous Solution (HOCL), or you can print it off here:

https://bonesmart.org/hypochlorous-hocl-solution/?source=woundcareathome

Please feel free to share this with your medical team.
 
@Jamie Hi, still have bandage on till tomorrow. It comes off then and then I get the staples out. I will show this to the doctor and ask if I can use it. Thanks Schpooko
 
@schpooko -Hi, today I’m 13 days post-op and I too have pain behind my knee and in the back of my calf. My PT has been doing manual massage on it and showed my husband how to do it and it has helped some. When I ice, it’s primarily behind my knee. My PT thought it was probably bone pain. I get my staples out tomorrow too and I’m sure this too will help.
 
Getting those staples out is a huge relief! Good luck tomorrow.
 
Post Op Day 14... Hey everyone my 43 staples come out today. Leaving in a little while to go to OS. Will ask him if I can change my meds to 2 tramadol every 6 hours so I can try to get some sleep at night instead of waking to take the meds. And I do need them at night. That seems to be where I get my most pain. Also will talk to him about the pulling pain in back of knee. Otherwise doing ok and home health aide said I can start using a cane which if the doctor says ok (my husband made that rule he is so worried about falling) I will start tomorrow around the house.

Next week my hubby goes back to work so I told him I would use the walker while he is gone during the day. And the home health aide will start working with me on the 15 stairs I have to conquer to get down the basement.

If the doctor gives me a script today for outpatient PT I will take it. I am not sure I am going to use it because I have done pretty good at home doing the exercises from the aide and walking. I don't want to mess anything up with PT so I don't know if I will do it or not. I can say I will not start PT until at least one month post Op .

I had good bend yesterday of 94 and I have always been able to keep my leg straight against the surface with no fingers underneath. So that is my update I'll post more later when I come home from doctor or tomorrow depending on how tired I am.

This will be the first time I will be outside since surgery. It will feel good.
 
Loved reading your post! Good news.
Goodbye to those nasty little staples. Let us now how your appointment goes.
 
It feels wonderful to get outside and enjoy some fresh air. Our spirits need some TLC too!

Reading your posts makes me smile. You are doing so well!
 
Hey schpooko! I’m doing unremarkable! And that’s a good thing. Just posted a bunch of stuff on my recovery thread.
Are the stitches gone yet?

And I agree with you about @SusieShoes recovery thread! Your thread encouraged me too susieshoes.
 
Aw, you gals. :hugzz: You made my day. I found other Smarties' threads so helpful to me, I wrote one too, hoping to help others. Now your threads will inspire those who follow you!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom