TKR Schpooko's Recovery

Yay! So happy you are feeling better! :loveshwr: I also will have a 2 hour ride home, so I will be curious how it goes for you :what:. Sending gentle hugs of encouragement, that it goes well.
 
Thanks Beachy... I will follow you very closely on the 11th. Wishing you great vibes and healing thoughts...:wave::flwrysmile::yay:

AnnieB great profile pic. I will let you guys know how I made out when I get home later. I will get meds beforehand and soon I will eat some lunch. (P.S. They have Great Food here):egypdance::wowspring::dancy::dancy::dancy:
 
My hospital had great food, too!
 
Hi, Sorry I did not get a chance to get back to everyone last night but that ride home was not so bad. My husband had to brake hard once during the ride for a suicidal squirrel. You know you just do things out of habit and so when he stepped on the brake my natural reaction was to do that too! Ouch!

We did stop at about the half way point because I was going to have something to drink. But I had a bellyache instead so I needed to get home asap. You know you cannot stop anywhere because of the toilet seat situation. (I did have the commode in the back seat LOL! :rotfl:) Before we left the hospital, I told the nurse I did not need the Colace but she was so worried about constipation. I did not take the Colace and even told her that I needed immodium for the way home. She would not give me this and she almost had a cow. Going on and on about blocking me up so when we did stop I took an immodium, made it home, (my poor husband had to rush to put the toilet together too because of my problem). So except for this problem the drive was not too bad.

By the time we got home and then my husband had to run and get pain meds (which they did not give me enough of) it was real late... The On Call Dr. at the hospital give me 20 oxy and 20 tramadol to take one of each every four hours for pain, right. He said get new scripts when I see Dr. for follow-up. I do not see the Dr. for follow-up til 10/16. This is such BS. Can't this guy count. So I have to take care of that today too!

I was very cranky after all of the this. But I did sleep better being in my own bed and found myself at one point during the middle of the night being on my left side. So I did sleep and feel very tired today.

Tomorrow a home health aide is coming and PT so we will see what that brings. Well, enough complaining and I have to get these people to get there stuff together so I can recover and stop worrying about everything. I have a call out to the OS-PA So let's see what happens there.

Sorry this got long but I needed to vent.

:thankyou:

Schpooko
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Glad you got home safely! You had the exact opposite of me! I needed colace and Miralax after a week of no movement.

Set the boundaries early with the PT, less is best with a TKR.
 
OMG! Your gut sounds like mine! Thanks for the tip...I’m taking Imodium to hospital in case I need it for ride home which will be about 1 hour. I’m on a specialized diet and don’t think I can follow it in hospital. I don’t need a poop fairy. I have a poop 747 flying over me LOL.

Get some rest!
 
So glad to hear you're home and happy in your own bed and surroundings. :roseshwr: Suicidal squirrels notwithstanding, of course. Why do they do that? But you made it and can proceed with your long, leisurely recovery.

Hope your call to the doctor straightens out your pain control meds so you have enough!
 
Hi, All.. Start of PO Day 4... I don't really have it set up yet to go on the computer at all times so when I get the laptop I post. Well I will be calling the OPA and tell her I need more meds. Last night was interesting to say the least. I do not know where all this water is coming from but I was up 5X to pee. I am going to call the case manager today also to let her know that PT did not call yesterday and somebody needs to get things rolling. I did walk a lot yesterday (little walks from kitchen to bathroom and into living room). They say you should get up at least once an hour and I am not wearing compressing stockings just taking baby aspirin twice a day so I definitely want to keep up with my small tracts in the house.

I am taking toradol and if Josephine can give me some insight I would love to know if this med makes you pee more? Is it from the swelling? Any advice would be appreciated. I am going to speak with the staff at the OS's office with info in hand so at least I feel like I know what I am talking about. Because sometimes I am not sure they feel like they know what they are talking about.

I am able sleep for awhile on my side and last night I awoke to be asleep on my stomach... I did quickly switch back but it was unavoidable. But I am sleeping more than a few hours at a time.

Today I will ask hubby to help me get cleaned up a bit and get some napping in due to lack of sleep with my bladder.

I just want to wish all the October Fiesties that are now in recovery a smooth and easy recovery. I could not get access to my computer to wish you all individually but I will be following your recoveries online when you post.

As to all the October Fiesties that have yet to go - hang in there. Your time will be here shortly and you too will be on your way to a whole different way of life. New Knees!!!!! The inside of my leg feels great I just need the outside to calm down and start enjoying the ride.

I will post more later :yawn::sleeep::wave:
 
I’ll tag @Josephine for you.

And the fact that PT has not called is a blessing, you really don’t need it at this early point.

I will not be dealing with PT after I get home after surgery next time, I can do fine, and most likely better, without them.
 
Thank you Jockette and point well taken. I will wait til next week....
 
I too had to pee more than a few times a night at first. :bored: It was terribly annoying, and making it easy for me to get to the bathroom was the main reason Mr. Shoes and I switched sides of the bed. I just figured it was a combo of swelling, and restlessness (people who are asleep might not feel they should get up and pee, whereas people who are awake do), and possibly my meds.

The need to pee a lot goes away after a while. Bear with it. After about six weeks I was back on my own side of the bed. However, don’t be surprised if your OS wants to test you for a UTI. That’s another common cause of frequent peeing.

Good for you side-sleeping so early! For us side-sleepers, nothing else feels as good or works as well. :sleeep:

As for PT... do you feel you need it right now? Some gentle bending and stretching (your knee will let you know when it wants to be bent and stretched), and some light walking such as you’re already doing, are really all the activity a healing knee needs. Lots of resting, icing, and elevating do it the most good.
 
I also went to the bathroom a lot through the night, I think it has something to do with the IV fluids given during surgery. After surgery #2 they left the catheter in for a day which I was so thankful for! I agree, don’t worry too I have about PT right now, just keep walking on the hour and turning your ankles. For the first week I just did easy stretches, leg lifts (which I couldn’t do) and short walks.
 
Hi schpooko! Except for the waterfall all night it sounds like you’re doing pretty good. Is pain being managed yet?

I think you’re amazing being a few days out and encouraging all the Fiesties! Here’s to you :flwrysmile:
 
Thanks everyone. The peeing situation started pretty much right away. The hospital rooms were so dry, I had dry mouth constantly and everything for the first days was IV. But now I am home and I am just concerned that I have a peeing issue. I don't need this. As far as meds, I have a call out the to OSPA and if I don't get her soon I the PT home person will call too and if that don't help I will get someone myself from the OS's office.

You know with all the stuff you have to do you just want things to go smoothly and have peace of mind. We are not doing any PT today, he is just coming for an evaluation and check my dressing etc... If I take my pain meds as directed I have very little pain but the problem is they did not give me enough - I never want to hear the words AS NEEDED again :blackcloud:
 
@schpooko i found due to my nerve block my bladder took 3 days to wake up...then I peed so much over the next 2 days before it settled to normal.
 
They say you should get up at least once an hour and I am not wearing compressing stockings just taking baby aspirin twice a day so I definitely want to keep up with my small tracts in the house.
Don't fret about that. I'd say once an hour is a bit much - every couple of hours would be plenty.
I am taking toradol and if Josephine can give me some insight I would love to know if this med makes you pee more?
I don't see anything listed in the side effects to that. So I'd say no.
Is it from the swelling?
Could be but is more likely, as Karri said, it's more to do with the amount of IV fluids you got in hospital!


I'd really like to offer you some structured advice but in order to do that, I also need to ask you some questions. Are you willing for me to do that?
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom