TKR Schpooko's Recovery

It feels so much better once the staples are out! Let us know how it goes.
 
Post Op Follow Up went great. The car ride was not to bad it was 45 minutes so by the time I got the OS's office I was ready to get out. They took a xray, three pics total and then I saw the OS. He literally said I am doing great.

Good bend, great straightening and wound looked great also. I got my meds adjusted and then the PA took out the staples. Lots of pinching but I took 2 tramadol beforehand and it made it bearable and it went by quickly. Only a few ouchies.

I now have on a few steristrips and when they fall off tonight I can take a shower tomorrow.

Tomorrow I have the home health aide and we will start with cane duty. The doctor said that is fine. And I have to see him in two weeks. I also asked about taking my son on college open house day. He said that was okay but since the ride is long to get out of the car once an hour and to use a wheelchair for the tour of the school.

The ride back starting getting a bit uncomfortable after now sitting in the car for another 45 minutes and I was really glad to get out of the car. So now we are icing and elevating and taking it easy after eating a light dinner.

Well, all in all, it was a good report and the OS was very pleased and so was I. That is my update from today first outing after surgery. Take care all,
 
@Jamie I asked the OS about Scar Shield he has no problem with it but I cannot start that until two weeks from now. Is this okay?
 
Great report! How good does it feel to get those darn staples out?
 
Fantastic. They were starting to pinch and the bandage was peeling off and being a pain the butt. It really was a relief. Let's see how sleep goes. I see congrats are in order LOL :loll:
 
LOL. I’m a little slow lately. You mean congrats on my “visit” today. I thought you meant for your staple removal. We both had something removed today LOLOL
 
Post Op Day 16. Well, I am very sore today from yesterday's excursion. Yesterday was the first time I was out since surgery and with the car ride, the doctor visit, and we stopped to pick up something to eat to bring home I was sooooooooo tired. But today I feel sore. Not in pain sore but like I did a long aerobics class sore.
You see what the first outing can do.

No cane duty today. I called the home health aide and asked her to come Friday only. I could not do any small exercise today and I am icing as I write.

It feels great to have those darn staples out. Moving is so much easier and bending is so much easier too!

Maybe someone can answer my question. I have a bunch of guinea pigs (my beautiful girls who I miss terribly) and at the hospital they told me I could not play with them for two weeks. I forgot to ask yesterday but when can I start to play with them. My husband has been taking care of them since I went into the hospital because we have a finished basement and that is their area. So I want my husband to start to bring one up a day so I can play and get to know them again. They also have not been out of the cage at all. My husband is too afraid to take them out all together and such.... Well if any knows the answer please let me know.

I will make a call to the OS's office to ask this question to them since they were the ones who said about the two weeks.

My hubby goes back to work next week so I will have to get used to being alone during the day. I will keep doing what I am doing now with I and E, and walking in the house. But during the day I will have to walk steps alone (5 total) to let the dogs out. I am a bit scared but I going to have to start sometime. I will also have to start cooking small dinners or make somethings on Sunday with the help of my husband and have that for the week. Any suggestions appreciated?

We are going to have to get life back to some normalcy so we will have to work things out. Thanks for listening and any suggestions are appreciated :cheers::yes!::yay::spin:
 
I think that all depends on what kind of playing you do with the girls and if they are apt to jump up on your leg. You definitely don’t want any quick jerks for that leg at this point.
 
Thanks @KarriB They can not jump on my leg and I would hold them on my lap.. but they were worried in the hospital about toxoplasmosis or some sort of disease like that. With my knee still in a bandage that was the concern. I had my staples out but I am not sure about holding them etc...

Thanks for the info. Schpooko
 
My dog stayed with friends until week 3-4. I just didn’t want to take a chance of anything happening.
 
@Jamie I asked the OS about Scar Shield he has no problem with it but I cannot start that until two weeks from now. Is this okay?
Since you have your bandage off, I can't imagine why he wanted you to wait another 2 weeks. The whole point of using the Scar Shield is to get it on the wound as quickly as possible so it can keep bacterial and inflammation at a minimum as the wound begins to heal. I will understand if you want to abide by your doctor's directions. But the results of your use of the product may be lessened as a lot of healing takes place in these early weeks after surgery. Start the test as soon as you are comfortable doing it and let me know what day that is. Be sure and take a "before" photo just prior to your first application.
 
Hello, Post Op Day 20 Just a little update. Everything is going so fast. I just said to my husband that I can't believe it was almost three weeks ago that I went in for surgery. I am doing well. Still waking at night, once a night, take a tramadol and go back to sleep. I get a little stiff in the bed.

I am now walking with a cane and sometimes I feel like I am just taking it with me because its the right thing to do. I have a small kitchen so tomorrow I am going to cook some chicken soup and have the home health aide. And everyone knows the rest... Elevate, rest and ice.

Also I like sitting with my leg down as opposed to having them up. I just feels better. My leg swells but not much and sometimes I still have the pain in the back of the knee. But that is getting less and less. I does feel good with ice on the back of the knee though.

I want the home health aide to take me out tomorrow for a bit of a walk so I can start building up strength and to learn walk more. I also want her to help me conquer the basement stairs so I can take care of my guinea pigs. I am still waiting for the doctor to give me the okay regarding playing with them. I miss them sooooo much. I am calling again tomorrow.

I want to find out if any of you got a flu shot after surgery. I forgot to get one before which I should have done but I would like to get one now. I got the flu once and it is NOOOO fun. I was sick for like three weeks. I don't need that now.

My husband goes back to work tomorrow. It's been a godsend to have him here during the first weeks of this recovery. He took really good care of me. I still need him to cook once in a while til I get the strength to stand and cook more.

I also will do a little bit of outpatient therapy next week. Maybe two days a week. I have a recumbent bike, down in the basement, and I want to learn to start riding it. I could not do it before because of the accident I had with the right knee.

Well, that's my update. I hope all of you are doing well and coming along in your recoveries. It is a journey and a tiring one at that...

Schpooko
 
That's a great update!
Is your home health aid also your pt?
I got so busy pre op that I forgot my flu shot too. Anxious to hear the replies you get.
:flwrysmile:Way to go, Schpooko!
 
@schpooko, I got my flu shot in late September but I was almost 6 months post-op. Not sure about your situation, maybe @Josephine has some thoughts about this. Have you asked your OS or PCP?

When I was just past 3 weeks, I started pt. One of the activities I did was gentle pedaling on a stationary bike. No tension and just slow easy turns to get the knee loosened up and as an early gauge of pain level related to stiffness. I would think using your own bike at home shouldn’t be a problem as long as you take it easy and listen to your knee. If you do too much, your knee will let you know. If /when that happens, rest your knee and back off a bit the next time you try.

Keep up positive outlooks and just remember you will have occasional days that just seem like you got pushed back several steps. Don’t let them get you down.
 
Back
Top Bottom