Bilateral TKR Scheduled February 2016

I showered the day after surgery===there is a bandage that covers the incision which is waterproof. At home, I used press and seal to cover the incision!! I had oxycontin twice a day and Percoset every four hours. Perhaps you need something like percoset or Lortab added to your routine.
 
I'm so sorry to hear about all the problems you are facing in the rehab. I hope you start to feel better soon. Is the tramadol something you have to ask for? It might be since you said it seems to be random times you get it. Ask your nurse how you can get it.
 
Stay strong! I agree that a regular course of meds helped me a lot to manage pain without significant ups and downs. I, too, was pretty loopy during the first 8 weeks post op, but I was able to progress slowly through exercises and rest because pain was managed.
You are in my thoughts - I hope things keep getting easier for you.
 
Yesterday was a breeze. I could go to the commode twice, lift my legs myself, was in good spirits. Not moving as much as the pt thought I should be, but amazing myself.:dancy:

Then night came. I decided to have meds 4 hours apart to get more sleep, however that only works if you have more meds so you can sleep. No sleep. :flabber: Very odd "people of the night" attending to me concluded with my husband coming back at 4 am. He will now be spending nights more than days. The people of the day are very much nicer and different than the people of the night here. I wonder if that isn't true everywhere.

So today, I have a lot of pain in the legs, can't move them, can't stand up. Went back to the bedpan. The OT wasn't happy that I am not up and walking, cleaning and dressing. I thought it was good that I was still breathing.
 
@KayeKaye, what is keeping you from moving them today? Pain? Or you can't move them? IF it is the pain, then you need to revisit your pain meds.
 
@KayeKaye - I'm glad you had a better day yesterday. It shows your legs can work. I think they're not working today because of the bad night you had and the lack of pin control.

Please don't alter the drug regime. It's very important that you get on to a regular regime of medications, as they are prescribed, and insist that this regime is followed , day and night, without fail. Insist that you are woken in the night so that you have a dose on time. Since your husband is going to be with you, ask him to keep track of when your meds are due, and to ring for a nurse about 15 minutes before that time. He could even bring an alarm clock and set it for the time.
The whole idea of taking the meds on time is so that you have a constant level of pain medication in your system. If you miss a dose, you're then playing catch-up, which isn't good at all.

You may have to go further up the chain of command and be very insistent, to ensure that your correct drug regime is followed.

Do try to get up out of bed today - going back to the bedpan is not good. You need to be mobilizing.

What happened to moving to a different rehab place? The one you're in now is totally inappropriate and isn't doing you any good at all.

I agree with the OT. You should be doing those things. Where is the PT today, to help you with mobilization?
 
Just had the PT. I stood and sat on the commode. Didn't do as much as she wanted to do because I had no control over my limbs. She did movements and massages. She took about an hour. I don't want to just sleep either. But I can't make my legs obey me. They want to just do nothing. I feel like I am doing too much too soon. I don't know what to do or expect. Lots of pain in the right calf. I am doing some ankle pumps when I remember. folding some towels under the ankles. I try to move my legs to the edge of the bed, but can't.

Yes I will stay on 3 hour pain meds. Doesn't do any good to try to change.

The thought of transferring to another place is overwhelming. I am ok'd here for 10 days if improving.
 
Lots of pain in the right calf.
That worries me. You have been lying in bed most of the time and it could be a deep vein thrombosis (DVT). Please get it checked out by a competent doctor as soon as possible.

I don't want to just sleep either. But I can't make my legs obey me. They want to just do nothing. I feel like I am doing too much too soon. I don't know what to do or expect.
You are not doing too much too soon. Your legs need to get moving. The nerve blocks you had should be well worn off by now, so there's no reason why your legs can't move. Have you contacted your surgeon and asked about the lack of mobility in your legs?

By now, you should be able to get yourself out of bed and walk to the bathroom, using a walker.
Has the PT shown you how? Can you ask for intensive PT to get you mobile?

I'm wondering about your drug regime. It's unusual to be on a three-hourly schedule. Please will you tell us exactly what is prescribed - the name of each drug, the dose and the frequency. I'll ask @Josephine to comment on them.
 
yes the Pt has shown me to use the walker but my legs just won't move by themselves. I can move them about 1/4" at the most with a lot of pain. Just standing is really painful. I don't know if the pain is normal or if I am just a big baby about it. I cry so much I am ready to pass out. I have lived with a lot of pain for a long time, I would be surprised if this was the case.

I am worried about deep vein thrombosis. I keep mentioning it to the nurses here and am met with a blank stare. I will call the doctor in the morning.

The pain nurse just stopped by and she wasn't fully aware of my schedule. I will get a complete schedule tomorrow. Nothing happens at night here. My pain meds are
2 Oxycotin 5 mg every 3 hours
Tramadoyl not scheduled but used every once in while
Some stool softener
 
This place is for the birds. At the least your husband should insist you are seen by a doctor.
are you doing ankle pumps?
 
What a nightmare! Are you still trying to go elsewhere?
 
The meds schedule, this what it says. But what happens is really all mixed up. @Josephine

Tylenol 500 mg tablet 1-2 tablets by mouth 4 timex a day as needed
not getting these, don't know why, will ask

Colace 100 mg capsule 1 capsule by mouth 2 times a day. for bowel movements
Sometimes getting both of these at once

Lovenox 0.4 syringe 40 mb every 24 hours, Stopping Wednesday 24, 2016 replaced w/aspirin by mouth. Blood thinner.
Getting this every morining

Oxycodone 5 mg tablet 1-2 tablets by mouth every 3 hours as needed. Alternate with Tramadol. Pain
senna/sennosides Senokot 8.6 mg tab 2 tabs a day. Stool softeners
Getting this but not on schedule, made a note now to check off

tramadol Ultrami 50 mg tab 1-2 tabs by mouth every 4 hours as needed. Do not exceed 8 tabs a day. Pain
These come and go with different amounts

Zofran ODT 4 mg rapid dissolve 1 tab by mouth every 4 hours as needed. Nausea
after PT I am nauseous from the pain and get these. Don't know if that is necessary.

Discontinued Medications: Tylenol 500 mg tablet 1-2 tablets by mouth
Don't know why this is discontinued, will find out.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
What a nightmare! Are you still trying to go elsewhere?
Don't know. I am approved by my health insurance for 10 days, so I would lose a bit in the transfer. If I could just walk I could go home, my husband is staying home with me. Maybe get a home PT a couple times.
 
You NEED to leave this place. They are incompetent and you are suffering in your recovery. You should be up and out of that bed. Those "as needed" meds mean you have to ask for them! If you are in so much pain that you cannot move your legs, then ASK for them - better yet - DEMAND them. I really think you either need to move immediately or call your surgeon ASAP and let them know you cannot move. I don't mean to be harsh, but I am scared for you. Really scared. This is NOT the way your recovery should be. You are in my prayers for your safety and healing.
 
Please also contact your doctor - not being able to just move your leg seems very wrong even if pain meds are erratic


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Tonight I sat up and lowered my feet to the floor. Sat like that for an hour. Put my shoes on which seems to help. Did ankle pumps just moving the back and forth front to back little tiny steps. Wanted to stand but didn't. Then my husband came and gently massaged my sore calf. Now I am icing. It's funny- from 5 to bedtime, there is nothing to do, and I am more awake. I will continue to sit and do what I can.
 
Please, please, call your own surgeon! Something is not right, either with you legs, your medication or this rehab place. Your surgeon really needs to know that things aren't progressing as you and he had hoped.
You need someone who knows what he's doing to look at you.
 
You NEED to leave this place. They are incompetent and you are suffering in your recovery. You should be up and out of that bed. Those "as needed" meds mean you have to ask for them! If you are in so much pain that you cannot move your legs, then ASK for them - better yet - DEMAND them. I really think you either need to move immediately or call your surgeon ASAP and let them know you cannot move. I don't mean to be harsh, but I am scared for you. Really scared. This is NOT the way your recovery should be. You are in my prayers for your safety and healing.
Thank you! I never knew as needed meant I ask. I am watching the symptoms of blood clots, so far no heat, no redness. Just a deep muscle ache.
 
This early in your recovery your pain meds should be given on schedule. My rehab brought them to me on schedule, I never needed to ask. But if you need to set your phone for an hour or half hour before you need them and ask. You MUST take meds on schedule or else you're chasing the pain and that can take a while to get under control.
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom