Bilateral TKR Scheduled February 2016

Almost 7 months

Sooo today went to see a knee surgeon that studied under my doctor at Mayo Clinic but was in town, saving me a trip down there. He was my hubbys hip surgeon and does knees as well. He gave me X-rays and when looking at them asked if my knees were "really bad"? I explained that the knee cap was dissolved but he stopped me and said that I had "stems" into the thigh bones and that the rarely do that. He showed me the X-rays and they looked about three or four inches long into the thigh bone. I was never told that happened and have never heard about it.

He didn't measure my ROM and thought they looked about 90. I thought they had gotten to about 110 or so. He said there was no point measuring ROM today with how sore and stiff I was. Interesting. But my left Achilles' tendon has been awfully sore so I haven't exercised in four days and being early morning I was very stiff. He said that they could replace the plastic disc inside the joints to give me more flexibility. But I am not running into that. (I would rather be stiff than have another operation. He then said to wait till at least the end of the year and look again. He did say that replacing those discs was relatively simple, easy and successful.

What say you? Anyone have any experience with replacing discs and how did it go?
 
I think @skigirl had a spacer exchange as did I when I had my infection surgery. I found it easier to recover from that surgery (mine as a month after the TKR) than the TKR. My soft tissue as washed/scrubbed so I was very tender, but that wouldn't occur for anyone having a spacer exchange. I really didn't need pain meds after the first week or so.
 
Thanks @KarriB . Glad yours went well. I don't have to decide till the end of the year so that's good. I will look up the person you posted about. The scars are looking so good I hate to wreck them too
 
Hi @KayeKaye
I'm sorry you're still having problems with your knees.

Is there any chance that you could post those latest X-Rays? I'd like to hear what Josephine thinks of them.
 
My scar is totally flat after the 2 surgeries. It is crooked, but that's due to the infection and washout, not the spacer exchange.
 
Your scars look beautiful. I had a spacer 2 1/2 times bigger than the original put in my revision knee but also had both implants replaced. I'm still having problems.
 
I haven't been able to find my X-rays online through my clinic yet, will try again next week.

ANKLE/LEG PROBLEM today while walking through the store holding onto the cart I heard a pop and had a searing pain on left back of leg near ankle. Drove myself to ortho urgent care, had an X-ray and the doctor said the Achilles may have started to rip. She scheduled an MRI for tomorrow and a surgeon for next week. They tried to put one of those boots on and it hurt so bad I cried so they took it off and gave me a lift for my shoe. NOT what I needed.
 
I'm sorry that happened. Treat your leg gently, and allow the tendon plenty of time to heal.
 
Definitely NOT what you needed. Glad they gave you the heel lift, shortens the tendon to take off the pressure.
At least they acted quickly to get you in for an MRI and arrange for you to see a surgeon ASAP.
:console2:
Don't forget Rest, Ice, Elevate, and Medicate on Schedule as prescribed.
 
Kaye,
I was so very sorry to hear of all the complications that you've had with your surgery and recovery. Are you saying that it looks like revision surgery may be necessary? Can't imagine having to go through all that again.
AND, of course having to deal with the Achille's tendon issue.....so sorry. :sick:
 
The MRI didn't show any problems and the Dr thinks it was just a sprain or strain of the Achilles, but it's intact. He put a boot on and I am resting it for 3 weeks. It's feeling better already. After a return visit he will schedule more PT. here's to point he is right! Thanks all for the support. The last thing I need is more foot/leg trouble.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
11 months, week 114
Been awhile since I have been here, but wanted to check in. Now bear in mind because of the pain of my knees before surgery I practically sat for three years so my recovery has been a bit slower than others. But going great. Can do almost everything I did before, I do get tired easily and have to rest when out and about too long but can go on with life as usual. I never was in the best shape as I have had foot and leg issues my whole life that prevented me from doing things like extensive hiking and such. That's why I was having foot and calf problems again. I had a foot surgery in 2005 for a snapped tendon that was cut off and sewed to the other tendon and heel construction, and that will start to hurt if I am out too long, but not related to the BTKR.

The knees now have no pain at all. They do feel tight, and have a bit of a numb area on the outer lower sides. I can go up 3 flights of stairs, with a bit of effort and my 1 flight is no problem even carrying groceries. Going down I am getting better at but do use the rails for support. You would never tell I had BTKR to see me walk, my gait and stride is pretty normal. Will be going to the doctor for a one year checkup next month!

The last time I went to the Knee surgeon in town he wasn't my doctor but had studied and worked with my doctor at the Mayo Clinic. He was surprised at the implant used and asked if I had "really really bad knees". I was never told that they were any worse than anyone else and asked why, he said the implants were very long and only used on really bad knees. So I found the xrays and wonder if anyone else had these and why they are used instead of the normal size implants. @Josephine are you familiar with these?

[Bonesmart.org] Scheduled February 2016
 
Great update!!! Wonderful you are doing so well, the numb area is normal and should go away with time.
 
I don't know what that surgeon was getting at. Those knees are in common use by lots of surgeons and has nothing to do with 'really really' bad knees!

THESE are long stemmed implants!

[Bonesmart.org] Scheduled February 2016
[Bonesmart.org] Scheduled February 2016
 
Ah. Thanks so much for showing me this. He was so sure that I had the long one. Well interesting.
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom