Bilateral TKR Scheduled February 2016

Thank you so much @freeriderNC it means so much from those who have gone through this. I had a good day in rehab yesterday. I walked 138 feet with walker, and went up 3 stairs 4 times. They were pretty easy to do too. I was surprised. I do feel confident I can make it up my 14 steps, with stops in between. Today we might try to get in the car. Would have tried it yesterday but it was too cold outside.
 
Looking at going home on Friday. I am ready. Everything is uncomfortable here, not my furniture, not my bed, etc. It is surprising that these places don't have good chairs with ottomans or recliners. I like to sit and bend my legs but then the floor is too far away, or the chair is too low to get out of. I noticed this at the hospitals as well. The furniture there is like doll furniture, low to the floor and small, low backs with nothing to lean into.
 
Sounds like you are ready to go home now, not Friday.
I agree the furniture is too low and is uncomfortable, and those low toilets in so many places. You have to wonder what they were thinking?
Happy to hear you sounding better, and complaining about the furniture, it is a good sign.
Don't forget to get into your house you only have to go up once, and you will be home. You can save going back down for the next time need to go out.
 
Be careful if it snows Friday (as predicted), rubber tips slide easily. But the steps will go fine as you get stronger. So glad you are improving and going home!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Yay! Walking, doing steps and going home! I wish you the best.

I have a friend who is healing from BTKR in stupendous fashion, 3 months out. She had 1 week staged procedures (11/19 and 11/26) to avoid keeping her under anesthesia for too long. She is so glad she did them both together, it made me wish my OS would have considered it for me. He didn't because he despises the idea of sending his patients to rehab. From the stories told on the forum, I understand why.
 
I'm glad to hear you are doing so much better. :yes!::yay:
Best wishes for your transfer home.
 
Thank you all! My husband surprised me by bringing my recliner and the platform he made to elevate it higher. It was heaven, I sat in it and fell asleep for several hours. They had to rouse me to go to therapy. I am preparing for take-off and landing at home Friday: I did seven steps up and seven steps down twice! So that's all I need for my home. It was not hard and I am so surprised. I suppose home holds more than a few surprises and I will be checking in here often.
 
KayeKaye - Just remember to hold yourself back when you get home. You'll want to do lots of things (I vacuumed the day I got home) but don't. Focus on rest, ice and elevation. Go slow to heal well. Hubby sounds like he's got your back, let him have it. He'll have you back in (better than) old form in time.
 
Great advice from everyone. Take it easy when you get home. You are still very early and need lots of rest. Let someone else prepare meals and clean up. Your job is to heal, bathing and dressing will take all the energy you have in reserve.
 
Yes I will rest, hubby has my back. I won't be vacuuming or anything else for quite a while. It's amazing how tired I am, and want to rest so much. the PT here has been very respectful of that and lets me stop what we are doing if I get tired out of breath. Let's me rest and then start up again. They cut it short too, so as not to spoil the good of what we just did.
 
I have to tell you that many of us have had arthroscopic surgeries---I am not sure if you have had one, but I had several---and I was up and literally back on my feet in no time. The BTKR---or a TKR, is, as was said in the movie "The Wizard of OZ"--- a "Horse of a Different Color." The energy drain was something that stayed with me for some time, and stamina was one of the last aspects to come back.

When I was able to drive, my first set of errands took only a 1/2 hour, and I was wiped out for the rest of the afternoon---I took a 2-hour nap!
 
So I think I will finally take a quick shower today. The surgeons nurse said it was ok to shower as long as it doesn't stay wet and dry immediately. Said it doesn't need to be covered or anything. But now that I think of it, how fast can one sit and shower when in this situation. The stitches look amazing. I hate to jinx anything. Any advice?
 
With stitches out and an ok from staff, you should be fine. After my previous surgery my skin near the incision was very sensitive to touch and water did that for a moment but then it was ok and soothing. Enjoy!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Stitches are the steri strips and dissolvable below skin. Will be aware of the skin sensations.
 
@KayeKaye, I would just let the soapy water run over the incision and not rub it. Same way - just pat it dry after. You can sit and not let the leg get so wet if you have a handheld shower head. I would always use a clean towel on my incision also. Enjoy the shower.
 
My nurse recommended just letting water run over the incision and no scrubbing, soaps or lotions. If you have a shower chair and a hand held wand, you can get great control.
 
Everyone has given you good advice. No soap, no rubbing, just let the warm water run over your incision.
 
Went home Friday morning. Got into and out of the car with just the littlest help. Using one of those "handles" that you put in the the latch loop of the door close I could get up quite easily. Highly recommend getting one.
My anxiety level is way down from the rehab place. It was so noisy, I was near an unloading truck ramp that started delivering at 5:45 am and all day long. My nerves were shot from that and getting woken up all night long. It was a beautiful place that is the cream of the crop retirement villas around here, and they were very respectful of my gentle policy. I feel like we didn't do any ROM but after reading here and reading Josephine's story I will let it go and wait for the healing. But it did surprise how much I could do without any pain, the walking, the steps, the standing unassisted, showering.

Starting home PT Monday and will have to "educate" him to our way of thought. I don't have as much space to walk around at home so that is a bit tedious. Pool therapy is my choice but I have to be sure it won't open the stitches at all so that is quite a wait.

I am experimenting with meds today. Took 2 oxy every 3 hours at the rehab, changed to every 4 hours. Now it has been 5 hours shortly here for my next one. I am so clear headed I think that I will wait to see if I need them. I might get stuck behind the pain again and have to play catch up but I won't let it get too far without taking one. Having read different stories of med free and reduced meds I am anxious to be clear headed.
 
I'm so happy that you are home now and how well you have be doing. Just remember as you start to feel better not to overdue things around the house. Little by little you will get back into doing all those things.
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom