Bilateral TKR Scheduled February 2016

Ok post op question, did people stay in their hospital gowns or did you dress in your own clothes? Did you have an IV and catheter that needed access?
After my BTKR surgery, I had some shorts on and a T-shirt---I did have a catheter for a couple of days---I did not like the idea at first, but I have to admit that it was a big help in the early going! The IV came out a couple days after the surgery and I went from a PMP to oral pain meds.

Later on, I wore loose sweat pants, but in the hospital, I just wore a pair of gym shorts so that all of the folks could easily look at my knees, (there were seemingly endless parades of folks that came in...)
 
The best of luck to you---thoughts and prayer for you on your BIG DAY!!

When it is all done and you are fully recovered, you will be very glad that you had the BTKR done---and you will feel great!

Please post back when you feel up to it from the "Other Side" and let us know how things went and how you are doing.
 
I recall the day before my TKR thinking "I don't really need a new knee, maybe I can get a few more years out of this one". All that to say, the nervousness set in and I had a case or buyer's remorse before the big day. The day of surgery I was cool, calm and committed. Almost 8 months later - I am really glad I did it. I am able to do things today that I haven't done in years.

Good Luck!:friends:
 
Thank you all so much. It's very encouraging to have those who have "been there done that" share. Pre op day almost behind me, have to still shower with antiseptic. The campus is at least 4 large downtown buildings connected with subways. Had to wander all over to check in various departments. My husband pushed me in a wheelchair and he is really hurting his hip now. :(
Then get up by 4 and surgery at 6 am tomorrow. So nervous.
 
So I received my exercises they want me to do. I am wondering what you all think. I have read some of these are of no use. @Josephine I have read your story and how little exercise you did. What do think of these:

For circulation and blood clot prevention

1. Ankle pumps 10 times on each foot every waking hour

2. Quadriceps sets 5 to 10 times every waking hour (Tighten muscle on top of thighs, pressing knee downward, hold 5 seconds.)

3. Quadriceps with over-pressure 3 times a day (Sit with foot suspended on chair, flatten knee tighten muscle on front of thigh. Place hand above knee incision grently press down hold 15 seconds, Repeat 10 times)

4. Active knee range of motion. 3 times a day (Sit in chair, bend knee as far as possible hold 5 seconds, straighten knee out as far as possible, hold 5 seconds. Repeat 10 times)

5. Knee bending stretch. 3 times a day. (Sit in chair, bend knee, plant foot on floor, slide forward to increase bend, hold 30 seconds, Repeat 5 times)

6. Straight leg raises. 3 times a day (lying down, tighten muscles on the top o thigh keep knee straight then tilt leg 12 inches, hold 5 seconds. slowly return to starting position. Repeat 10 times.)

Thank you!
 
You will be in my prayers for a successful surgery and peaceful recovery. The ankle pumps are to avoid a blood clot - do them. (I also had the Quad Sets, Leg Lifts, and Glute Squeezes for circulation.) You should do the heel slides that are detailed on this site. Good luck tomorrow. I look forward to seeing your post in the recovery section!
 
Love the graphics @KayeKaye Wishing you the best and a speedy recovery. I like some of the others had bilateral on Dec 8th. I also would do it again. My OS said I would question "WHY" but give it 3 to 4 weeks and you will be glad you had it done. The first few weeks of not being able to bend the knees to sit on toilet and stand but....remember it will get better each day. Ice was my (and still is after therapy) My best friend. I had plenty of family support and my husband was awesome. He has been for 46 years. I was discharged the day before out Anniversary. This site is wonderful and I'm so glad I found it before surgery. Prayers
 
They made me remove all nail polish and remove my jewelry. I also took clothes like shorts and t shirt, But I wore the hospital gown since it was easier to sit on toilet easier. I peed on so many socks LOL just trying to sit down. They actually gave me 2 news ones to wear home. I used them at home also. I was just comfortable in them & easier getting to the bathroom on time. I didn't have to worry about pulling anything down and I could try and concentrate on walking legs out trying to get to toilet since the knees don't bend,
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I did ankle pumps often because they felt good to me and they help reduce blood clots.

I also did quad sets often while laying in bed because it was another thing that felt good to me for some reason.

If you can do some of the prescribed exercises without too much pain then great. Just don't do too many.

The recommendation here is for the first couple weeks you should mostly be doing gentle heel slides and gentle knee flexion and extension stretches and only do a few of them each day. You need some time to rest and heal. Getting up for a short walk occasionally is good and getting up to go to the bathroom qualifies for that.

Good luck with the surgery.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
As far as the bathroom, the PA told me if I didn't think I could make it to the toilet in time, to use a pad. I never did, since I tried to get up every hour and walk, I would just go before I was desparate!
 
@KayeKaye, you should be almost on the other side by now. All the best and prayers for a quick recovery. We are here for post op encouragement and support. Let us know how you are doing when you can. Be sure to take your meds by the clock and rest. Don't let PT force your knees beyond discomfort. Follow the BS mantra! :sleep:
 
@KayeKaye, my comments in bold

1. Ankle pumps x10 every hour - these are just anti-clot exercises, nothing to do with the knee. I agree with these but do them more often if you like. I rarely counted, just did 'some' every so often!
2. Quadriceps x10 sets 5 - okay but only do them once a day and only every other day
3. Quadriceps with over-pressure x10 3 times a day - NO pressure, you'll only cause yourself additional pain and swelling
6. Straight leg raises x10 3 times a day - ouch! far too much, do 5 once a day and rest at the weekend


4. Active knee range of motion, in chair, bend knee hold 5 seconds, straighten knee out as far as possible, hold 5 seconds. x10 3 times a day
5. Knee bending stretch - sit in chair, bend knee, plant foot on floor, slide forward to increase bend, hold 30 seconds x5 3 times a day
these two are both flexion exercises but you only need to do one and as before, do them once a day and none at the weekend. Also read this Heel slides and how to do them.

You see, it's not the exercising that gets you your ROM, it's time. Time to heal, time for swelling and pain to settle and time to heal. One thing that seems to be missing from all the PT's protocols is that all your ROM is there right from the start, just waiting for all that to happen so it can show itself. In the general run of things, it doesn't need to be fought for, worked hard for or worried about. It will happen. Exercise as in strength training is counter-productive and does more harm than good. Normal mobility and stretches are the key to success. I'm glad you've read my recovery threads as I'd like everyone to accept that as the way to go.

They made me remove all nail polish
@freeriderNC did they explain why? :wink:
 
Good luck. Will look forward to reading your news on the other side!:thumb:
 
Thanks all! It is now 4 days out and I am in rehab in my neighborhood. I am using a bed pad, can't make it to the toilet. Standing is very difficult. Mayo was very progressive, no exercises that hurt. They want the leg straight out in bed, with a towel folded up under the ankle to relieve pressure to the heel bone. That gives the knee a slight sway downwards. They were insistent this be done to be able to bend my knee in the future, "or you may NEVER be able to bend them again." They don't want ANY incline of any kind on the knee. Just odd.
 
They told me this in the research hospital in Boston as well. I just kicked the towel out of the way, asked for pillows and elevated my leg anyway. I told them this was the only way I could get comfortable. What are they going to do?
 
Thanks all! It is now 4 days out and I am in rehab in my neighborhood. I am using a bed pad, can't make it to the toilet. Standing is very difficult. Mayo was very progressive, no exercises that hurt. They want the leg straight out in bed, with a towel folded up under the ankle to relieve pressure to the heel bone. That gives the knee a slight sway downwards. They were insistent this be done to be able to bend my knee in the future, "or you may NEVER be able to bend them again." They don't want ANY incline of any kind on the knee. Just odd.
Welcome to recovery at last! Your thread got so long that I was beginning to think you'd never get to surgery! :heehee:

How much longer will you be in rehab? You will need to be able to get yourself out of bed and to the bathroom - which should be one of the main things to focus on now - and to get back into bed. You'll need to focus on standing and walking (with a walker or crutches) and be able to negotiate a few stairs. Once you can do those, you're ready to go home. The exercises are less important and you can always continue those at home.

It's really not necessary - and probably most uncomfortable - to keep your leg out straight with that roll under your ankle all the time. It's just to help with extension (straightening) and has nothing to do with being able to bend your knee (flexion).

You do know that the threat about "Never be able to bend again" is absolute rubbish, don't you? Your knee will be able to bend just fine, once the swelling that stops it bending has gone down somewhat.

Elevation is almost universally accepted as a way of decreasing swelling, so it seems very odd that they don't want you to do it. Do they allow you to ice?

I'm going to give you the BoneSmart mantras and recovery reading list. Some of the recommendations run counter to what is advised in your rehab centre, but they are tried and true. You can always try them once you get home.

First are the BoneSmart mantras ....
-rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist (PT) - to do it to you. Exercise only gently
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
- be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lie down!

Next is a FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) thread.

And here are some very crucial articles
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Activity progression for TKRs

Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling

Home physio (PT) and activity progress: suggestions
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

And then some wise words from members who have shared their experiences ...
Where are you in recovery?? (TKR)
Five “P’s” of knee recovery
TKR: work “smarter” and not “harder”
Recovering a knee - from one who knows!
It's never too late to get more ROM!
It's worth the wait for ROM

Best wishes. :flwrysmile:
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom