Bilateral TKR Scheduled February 2016

This early in your recovery your pain meds should be given on schedule. My rehab brought them to me on schedule, I never needed to ask.
After my BTKR, the nurses made sure that my meds were there on time, every time. You should not have to ask for your pain meds----it is in your orders, or it should be.

It is vitally important that you take those pain meds so that the pain never shows up.
You still need to get that calf checked as soon as possible.
I agree---get that looked at---it will also help to ease your mind, as well.
 
I put a call into my surgeon today about the calf pain, haven't heard back from him. They watched the leg last night, but haven't had it scanned yet (can't remember that word right now). There is no swelling, redness or heat from it.

That blue band might be what it is. I will talk to them more about that. Call my surgeon again today.

But here are the knees in their glory. Very neat job, no bleeding or oozing of any kind. He said these will just fall off and the other sutures inside will dissolve.
 
The pain meds seem a little screwy to me with so many kinds. :scratch:The tylenol might have been discontinued if your oxycodone also has tylenol in it.

In the hospital my pain meds were "as needed" but the nurse told me how often I could have them. In fact she wrote on the white board in the room what time I could have the next dose. Since I always needed them by then, I just rang for them as it was coming up on the time. That way I kept the pain from getting really bad.
 
Yep, my nurses did the same thing. After giving my pain meds they posted the next time I would be getting my meds. I didn't need to set my phone, it was there in black and white.
 
Please know that you won't always have heat or fever or redness with a blood clot. That persistent calf pain is quite enough to warrant having it checked out. Please do not delay with this!
 
Please know that you won't always have heat or fever or redness with a blood clot. That persistent calf pain is quite enough to warrant having it checked out. Please do not delay with this!
It is days since you first complained about this calf pain. Do not wait for a reply. Keep calling your surgeon until you get a reply. He needs to know today about all the problems you are having. You are going to have to be very insistent, to get the correct treatment that you should have.

I agree, too, that your medication schedule is odd. It needs to be reviewed.
 
Ok had the ultra sound scan for the dvt and, they found nothing. So that is good. Getting a new doctor designated with out network and then maybe some progress. The doctor from Mayo was very relieved, he has seen the scan as well. He has been so great, and keeps telling me to not be so hard on myself, don't push and don't let any PT push me either, he actually said to tell the them to "Back off" if they overdid anything.
 
Keeping ahead of the pain is the game. 2 oxycodone every 3 hours is my schedule. It sometimes knocks me out and other times it's fine. I went down to 1 pill today but that didn't work so I called for the 2nd pill within an hour. Most of the time is spent with people coming in and out of my room, and sleeping. The food is getting the best of me too, all starches and breads and gravies.
 
I took two 5mg of oxycodone every four hours the first 2-3 weeks. It may knock you for a loop, but right now it is about letting your body heal itself. Your body needs to rest in order to heal, so please don't try to be a hero and take less meds than prescribed. In time you'll need less, but this is very early in your recovery and with a bilateral your body needs even more rest. Around week 4 I needed less in the way of pain medication. Just listen to your body, don't fight it. Sleep as much as needed, as much as possible. Your OS sounds like a good one, don't let anyone push or hurt you.
 
@KarriB thank you! I need to sleep more. I was forgetting about the need for extra sleep. It's interesting that PT and care plans don't include that. Have to be mindful of that. PT was exciting today, I walked more than I thought I ever could. Had a great day. Then came back and fell asleep before I could even cover up, woke up with cold feet and felt lazy and guilty. Couldn't have been a better post to read. I feel accomplished on both fronts, walking and sleeping! Thank you!
 
Great news KayeKaye, you are getting better! That much Oxy will definitely make you sleep a lot but as long as you are up and moving too, it's good to sleep. As you need less pain meds, you'll start being awake more.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
The regimen is in the articles, so check my math but I think it's 3 hours rest for every hour activity in the 1st few weeks. Then a good nights sleep, if you can get it. Sleeping through the night is a challenge for many.
 
Yes, walking for those short bits is good for your knees. I'm glad you're experience is improving.
 
The regimen is in the articles, so check my math but I think it's 3 hours rest for every hour activity in the 1st few weeks. Then a good nights sleep, if you can get it. Sleeping through the night is a challenge for many.
Ahh, it certainly feels right. I get so much accomplished, then I turn into a wet noodle and fall asleep. I feel like a cat. My arms are like jelly from all the out of the ordinary use lugging this body around. But it's getting better.
 
Sounds like a typical day to me. :)
I remember my day being:
get up, eat a little breakfast
lie down and gear up for a shower
shower and put on shorts and a tshirt (I had summer tkrs)
lie down and ice and elevate
pain meds would usually induce a nice mid mid morning nap :zzz:
and so forth...
(some heel slides and a little walking around the house were worked in there somewhere) :)
 
I am having a care conference tomorrow at 1 pm to assess what we do next. Honestly if I could get up my (14) steps at home I would be fine there.
I can go the bathroom now walking with walker.
Dressing myself pretty good with the help of my husband laying things out.
Meds are pretty much under control, don't know what I need or should have to take home yet.
I stood 5 minutes unassisted while playing solitaire.
Being in bed is just torture for my posture. Sitting in the wheelchair at the hospital table with my laptop is much preferred by me. But I don't think my legs are elevated enough.
 
I'm so sorry you had to go through all that. I also had bilateral on December 8. I'm not sure why but they told me that I would have to ask for pain medicine But they wrote it on the board and I use my iPhone and set the alarm. It laid right on my chest. I was on Dialudid pill every 4 hours & toradol IV every 6. The Oxycotin every 12 and oxycodone every 4 is what I was on the first day. Had to change me because it made me so sick and so loopy was not even able to get out of the bed sick from it. I was glad they change my medication but it took a little bit for it to get into my system. I was then able to do therapy the other three days in the hospital. My last day I was taught how to go upstairs using my walker and with help from my husband. We have five steps coming into the house and it was a challenge. Then I had home therapy for three weeks. The home therapy was only some very minimal heal slides, they never hurt me but one time and that was the last time. You have to speak up for yourself. I'm so happy to hear that you're feeling better and doing better. Nighttime is the worst for sure. I slept in my recliner which is a lift chair for nine weeks and my husband in his recliner on the other side of me. I have been driving for three weeks now and still going to physical therapy. How much longer do you have in rehab? Never skip your pain medicine. You are in my prayers


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom