Guest viewing is limited

THR Sandpiper sails over to the other side

Status
Not open for further replies.
adobo, I roll onto my non-surgical side a couple of times a night, I can sleep very comfortably for an hour or so that way, and it feels so good. Always have a pillow between your legs and you should be fine. I think it also helps with the swelling, after all, your hip is higher when laying on your other side.
 
adobo I had restrictions for 3 months with both my hips. You will have been told if/when you are allowed on your side. Once I was allowed on my side it was a little uncomfortable for a while but it passes.
 
Elosarabrab. I wad told to lie on my back for now. I was even given a foam wedge to place between my knees when sleeping just so I don't cross my ankles or point my toes inward. They told me the Dr. would let me know when he'd be lifting any restrictions but definitely no changes at least til my post- op on July 17. My surgery was July 1 Funny how different they all are with instructions
 
sandpiper The differences crop up time and again. Some surgeons seem ultra cautious and want restrictions for 3 months like mine, others a few weeks. We all recover eventually so the few months restrictions in exchange for working pain free hips is a fair price to pay.
 
Elosarabrab i agree. Rather safe than sorry! Someone on here a while ago posted something about sleeping on their belly! I can't picture that anytime soon.
 
sandpiper I saw that too. I am with you on that one. I can't do that yet. I cant remember the last time I could. I think I will have to get rid of some of the excess weight before I attempt it. I think it would be like one of those natural disasters with the beached whales :rotfl: I cant do ROFL myself either I wouldn't be able to get up.
 
Elosarabrab. You are hysterical!!! I'm at my mom's so I have to use my I-phone to ck BS. For some reason the smilies don't work from my cell. I miss those! They are so cute! Love the one you used rolling around laughing!!
 
Elosarabrab i agree. Rather safe than sorry! Someone on here a while ago posted something about sleeping on their belly! I can't picture that anytime soon.

Do any of you do PT that requires you to lie on your belly? My PT includes two exercises on my belly - straight leg lifts - these are killers - particularly until the muscles start firing correctly. Often whomever is helping me will help me with all of these. The other is a knee flex. Once I get there - being in my belly feels pretty good. Getting there can me a bit of a pain using a pillow between my legs. :groan: sleeping is on my back with at least surgical leg on 2 pillows. I wake up a couple times a night with a need to bend my hip at a more acute angle. I have zero restrictions. They recommend avoiding crossing midline if possible but no abduction pillows etc.
 
Poppet, bottomshollow I have a question. I was told to take the dressing off my incision tomorrow. The nurse changed it right before I left the hospital yesterday. The tape was soooo strong on the bandage that she actually torn skin right off removing it . There is a strip of completely raw skin there. What can I put on that? It's not at the incision it's above it but I don't want to get anything in the incision itself. I don't have stitches or staples. I'm glued together. Lol ( wonder if they use crazy glue?? lol)That hurts more than anything else! Ha! And I'm wondering what would be safe to use to get the new bandage off with? I'm sure I'll have the same problem getting the bandage off.


How is your skin healing?

Nancy
 
nmay51. It's doing better today since I've kept Neosporin and a bandage on it! Funny... The actual incision feels fine, it's just where they ripped the bandage off!!! The incision is great. Only about 3 inches long and looks good already! How are you feeling? Any better???
 
I'm so glad for you!!! :SUNsmile: I know how irritating those can be. I'm feeling better as long as I follow the mantra... Meds, rest, ice, elevation, exercises. I think that's it. I'm at my sister's house laying in her bed watching the family play in the pool. It's too hot outside for me to rest outside. Im not a very good patient but I know the worst of its over. It is what it is... :shrug:

How long will you be at your Mom's?

Nancy
 
Thank you all for responses on safe side! :)
I wont be seeing my doctor until august 8 th & last time I did speak/see him was june 17th to get staples out.
He told me I could bend & walk without walker & just use cane :yikes: this was my reaction!
PT says NO WAY!! Surgeons always say these things but have no way of knowing how your body feels.
Telling me I can lift restrictions after only 2 weeks( at he time) to me was insane! Of course I did not listen!!!
PT said they try to get you up & about asap so new hip starts working but, SAFETY FIRST!
Anyway this tues will be 5 weeks since surgery will try laying on my good hip side w/ pillow a few minutes at a time.
I guess what my doctor meant was do as my tolerance level will allow :gaah:
Of course I will Not bend past knees or stop using my grabber or dressing stick. Those things are miracle workers!!! :yes!:
 
adobo
Good for you! Safety first. I agree!!! I walk a little frequently, using my walker. I was told not to use my quad cane any longer. I'll buy a cane as I progress. No need yet as my walker is part of my anatomy :ok: I don't go back to the doctor until my 3 week check up. By then I'm hoping to be using a cane. The only restriction physically, that I was given was " do not bend you injured leg back and twist my toes out. That could cause dislocation. Other than that... I'm good to go as tolerated. I've been sleeping on my good side since I was in the hospital. Pillow always between my legs. There are so many differences!!!

Keep up the good work!!! :yahoo:

Nancy
 
Tyvm nmay51 :)
I just started using single cane short distances at first, cause after walker & crutch you may feel a little unstable & wobbly.
I walk to bathroom & kitchen with cane.
Glad you can sleep on your side :yes!:
Having more than one option to sleep is wonderful... Lol
Keep up the good work & happy healing! :dancy:
 
nmay51 my PT came today and had me walking around the dinning room table without my walker or cane. I have to say it was ok. It didn't cause me pain. I was a bit leary but it was ok.
 
sandpiper Yay, it's all over for you ! Well done and here's to a speedy recovery and much cyber healing hugs from across the pond :kittykiss:
 
sandpiper. Wow and WOOHOO FOR YOU! That's a big step. Congratulations hippie friend!!! :dancy: :dancy: Yet another milestone in your recovery and rehab. I hope you high fived yourself!!! And to think, less than a week ago you were fighting the pain of being broken. :goodpost:

Nancy
 
Excellent sandpiper.. Wonderful progress.. Do remember though...
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Sandpiper sails over to the other side
    image.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 146
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Back
Top Bottom