Guest viewing is limited

THR Sandpiper sails over to the other side

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good advice LeeApril26, I remember when I came out of ICU and HDU and started walking.. I became giddy every time I looked down..
 
adobo,Poppet thank!! Yes i think I'm doing ok! Slept a ton last night and they never came in with pain meds. I had mentioned that I wanted them round the clock but they said I was sleeping so soundly they didn't bother waking me. Just got up to use the bathroom and the pain was about the same as yesterday so it was ok but I will insist on pain meds today especially prior to PT. Otherwise all is well. BP stil a little low. 88/55 and hemoglobin a bit low but no one seems at all worried so I'm not either!! SO THERE! Ha! Ha! Worry is their job not mine! Lol

nmay51. So... My hippie twin...i hear you're working on your new swing....and NOT your
Golf swing! Lol good for you!!!
 
Sounds good.. Don't let the PT go overboard.. Remember you are in control and quite within your rights to say no, I don't want to do that.

We have had several members with over enthusiastic PT's in hospital and suffered the 'old one step, two step' thing :)
 
Good job sandpiper And you are spot-on Poppet ... I had low BP and low blood count too... I scared the bejebers out of the nursing staff by passing out and falling off my chair after my first walk on day one post surgery...:shocked: I had done so well on my first walk that they asked would I like to sit up in my chair for a while. I thought I felt good and said sure! They had left me for about 30 sec before it all started going pear shaped!!

Luckily I felt the world starting to spin and yelled at them to come catch me - my room was right next to the nurses station. They got to me just in time to lower me (not gracefully) to the floor. Picture a disconnected catheter bag flung across the room, my feet pointing out the room door and the bottom of a hospital gown up under my armpits :giggle: by the time we made sure no damage was done!

Once dignity was restored, they slid a stack of inflatable mattresses under me, and inflated them one by one til I was high enough to be transferred to my bed....talk about a magic carpet ride!! LOL
 
Meggzie. OMG!!!! You poor thing!!! Gezzzz. What a terrible experience you had! Thank goodness they got to you!
How are you feeling nowadays? I wonder how long I will have the muscle soreness. Not that it's terrible. It really isn't. It's more " weird" than painful. If I had been working out at the gym I'd love the feeling. I always liked the " hurts so good " feeling of a little sore muscles the day after a really good work out. This i KNOW is soreness from muscles being cut and moved. So I have a more creepy feeling about it but I have to NOT think about that part! Ha! Blood pressure is still a bit low today and they took more blood for hemoglobin ck so we shall see. I go home either tomorrow,July 4th, or Friday.

Thanks for cking in with me!!! You guys are great!!
 
Hey sandpiper. I'm going really well in the recovery from my RTHR. That was a minor glitch - and honestly I laugh about it now....what a sight!! Random passersby probably havent had a good night's sleep since!!!

I'm just a touch over 5 weeks out now and saw my OS today for a checkup. He's very pleased with how I'm going, no more restrictions, I'm back to driving and just paracetamol and an anti inflammatory for pain. (ETA: I still get a bit muscle sore if I do a bit much - it's like you said - a bit like pushing it at the gym. But I'm getting better at not doing too much.)

I really wish I'd found this awesome community earlier in my rehab (just joined in the last couple days) because then I wouldnt have had to learn some things the hard way. Like not doing too much, like letting people do things for you, like.....the list is a bit endless!

Even tho we think we're tuff, we're certainly not bulletproof. So, if I have any advice to give it's to put pride in the top drawer, rely on others when you can, take your meds (all of them, on time, every time), rest, rest, rest, rest..........:sleep:
 
Meggzie. Great advice!!! Hey is that you riding your horse? I wish I could send you a pic of our thoroughbred. She's so pretty. I don't know how to do it tho. Whenever I have tried i just end up with a link that goes nowhere!! Lol
 
sandpiper, they don't actually cut muscles, but the are retracted and pushed apart, so they tend to object..

How long will they be sore, well I would love a dollar for every time a member has asked that.. I always answer, it is up to your muscles really. One day you wake up and suddenly realize you don't hurt as much.

That was an experience Meggzie.. Glad you are progressing well - check out my signature, that will give you an idea of my early recovery.
 
Sandpiper, glad to read that all is well. You know what is going through my mind right now? Why the heck did i wait for so long. If they need to do the other hip then i am going to do it right away. No more bone on bone pain. Peace be with you
 
Yep sandpiper, that's the pony and me at our last comp before I stopped riding. I'd love to see your TB! I havemt tried to post photos before, bit I bet there's a link somewhere on the site that tells you how :)
 
sandpiper I am pleased everything is going so well for you. The low blood pressure is a common thing for us hippies it sorts itself out on its own pretty quickly. I gave the PT a scare on my first day cos she said all the colour drained out of my face. They sat me down quickly and I was Ok.
Even tho we think we're tuff, we're certainly not bulletproof. So, if I have any advice to give it's to put pride in the top drawer, rely on others when you can, take your meds (all of them, on time, every time), rest, rest, rest, rest..........:sleep:
Wise words.
Sorry you had a bad experience it must have been scary at the time but you can laugh about it now.
 
sandpiper, I'm glad you had a good nights sleep finally, that's sometimes hard to do in the hospital with all the lights and noise. Be sure to get your pain meds before PT.
 
Glad you are doing well sandpiper!!! I am having an awesome day. I took Josephine's advice - back to taking pain meds as prescribed. :blush: and feeling good. Shower on my own. Still need help putting Ted hose on. I do have a shower chair which is really convenient! Sons are coming today. Very excited. Not planning on doing much & they have some plans of their own but it will be great to have them near. Happy 4th & hope you get home soon!
 
Shadow09, how wonderful to have your boys nearby!! I don't know where you live in the US but I'm hoping you have nice 4th of July weather!
Warhorse. How are you coming along these days? Are you feeling ok?
Elosarabrab, good thing you didn't fall out of your chair like Meggzie! My gosh!!!
randy62 so glad you are doing so well too! That is such great news!!!! We July hippies are starting the month off with a bang!
 
Warhorse, and just what "things" are we supposed to be considering? Inquiring minds want to know (just means we're nosy and curious)!
 
bottomshollow, I really did not mean anything in particular. Just meant everything that goes, and comes along with being 3 weeks post-op, still need pain meds, swelling is still there, but not quite as bad, still dealing with constipation, etc.. "Things"... just not all healed up and better, but I seem to be on track.
 
Warhorse. It's a process isn't it? But all in all is your pain better
than prior to surgery? I noticed the difference as soon as I woke up in recovery. Also you are a guy...I think men have a harder
time being down and out because of that old double standard. You guys always have to be so tough. We women probably get more sympathy! Lol
 
sandpiper, yes I also noticed the bone on bone pain was gone immediately. The pain from the surgery keeps getting less all the time too. It is wonderful how much better things are after surgery.

The boredom, from not being able to do things you normally do, just seems to make time go so slow. In actuality, when I think about it, my recovery has come a long way in the 23 days since my surgery. I can do more things on my own, I quit using the walker, the cane is mainly just a safety item for balance.

As you said yourself, it is a process, and healing just takes time.

I wish you well with your own recovery, it will amaze you how much better you will feel.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom