Guest viewing is limited

THR Sandpiper sails over to the other side

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would've en go so far as to say that there is an empty hole there, where before is was an area of intense pain.
 
Hi sandpiper, I just dropped by to see how you where doing. I was told by a nurse that people that have a new hip have low blood presser. She didn't know why but its true for me and you. Sounds like you are doing good. Do remember not to overdue it. As you start feeling better you try your wings and over doing can happen very easy. Do keep us informed on how you are doing so we can help you. Take care and remember you still need to rest, ice, elevation and pain meds as needed. If something weaker works, please take it. Elevation is a little tricky with hip but it does help. Tashia
 
So... My hippie twin...i hear you're working on your new swing....and NOT your Golf swing! Lol good for you!!!
sandpiper
I'm hoping it comes back better than before... Confidence is key to a good swing. After all I've been through, I think my confidence is pretty good! How is your swing??? :friends:
 
Hi sandpiper So glad you on the recovery side and doing really well. Keep up the good work, it only gets better. Let us know how you progress. Take care!
 
nmay51 well.... I don't know if you could call it a "swing" Maybe a "shift" for now. Lol but I'm not worried! Everything is going so well so far!! I came home ( to my mom's ) today and I feel pretty good. Just following the mantra...ice, elevate, rest, medicate!!;-)
 
Well my hip pain has kicked in with a vengeance. I did so well at the hospital?! I walk all over the floor, did all the exercises... Now a short trip home, and the pain is ugly :hissy:

I got discharged around 1:00. Got two percocets at 12:30. We dropped off the prescriptions and stopped at my sister's house. I walked in, and walked out when the prescriptions were ready. I came home and took a nap. I even slept on my left side, but when I woke up... UGH!!! I couldn't move without over the top pain.. The script was for 60 day supply when taken every 3 hours one at a time. Script of for (Roxicet 5 / 325). The directions in the notes given to me said if pain was between 1-5 take on every 3 hours... If pain is 6-10 take 2. Tonight, I'm took 2.

I switched laundry from washer to dryer... ,

I've been siting with my legs elevated and Ice on my hip. I did take a quick shower.

The pain is in my muscles... like I ran a marathon, my quads, glutes, hamstrings.

I know the mantra ice, meds, rest, elevation... :sad:

Any of you brilliant hippies got any ideas to share???
 
[Bonesmart.org] Sandpiper sails over to the other side
that is to say, as little as possible. Keep exercise to a minimum and walk only from bedroom to bathroom to kitchen to wherever you next during the day. The mantra works---but you HAVE to follow it: Pain meds on a schedule (set the clock if you must), LOTS of rest, elevate operated leg (toes above nose is best), and ice, ice, and ice some more. Please notice that no kind of housework is included in the mantra.

[Bonesmart.org] Sandpiper sails over to the other side
It's your official BoneSmart permission, nmay51. USE IT!!!!!


Take care and keep us posted. We care. [Bonesmart.org] Sandpiper sails over to the other side
 
General moving around is plenty of activity sandpiper.. You are doing so well... Good for you gal :)
 
nmay51 sorry you are having a hard time! I was glad someone came to help! The girls are wonderful here! Follow the advice! I'm making my way back and forth to the bathroom and to the kitchen and doing the exercises but that's it. No shower yet . My Dr. Said wait 2 more days. Definitely no laundry! I have two jobs to get back to and when I go back I know I'll be thrown in full swing so I'm taking this slow and doing it right! I can't afford to rush this recovery. The old saying goes..." Haste makes waste". At least that's my theory. But don't listen to me I'm no expert here for sure! Listen to the moderators! They know what to do!!!
I'll be thinking of you!!! Take it easy my friend!
 
Poppet, bottomshollow I have a question. I was told to take the dressing off my incision tomorrow. The nurse changed it right before I left the hospital yesterday. The tape was soooo strong on the bandage that she actually torn skin right off removing it . There is a strip of completely raw skin there. What can I put on that? It's not at the incision it's above it but I don't want to get anything in the incision itself. I don't have stitches or staples. I'm glued together. Lol ( wonder if they use crazy glue?? lol)That hurts more than anything else! Ha! And I'm wondering what would be safe to use to get the new bandage off with? I'm sure I'll have the same problem getting the bandage off.
 
Good morning! I get it now... Do as little as possible!! I have Ice on my hip and I'm planning on resting all day long. Thanks for the clear advice. I will follow your directions.

Thanks for helping,
Nancy
 
nmay51. How are you? Any better? I'm glad you are resting! Just think of what your body has been thru!! When you thin of it it's sctuslly amazing that we bounce back as quickly as we do!!! I bet you will feel much better with some rest! No swinging those hips! Lol the good looking single guys will just have to wait in anticipation for that!!! Lol
Take care and keep me posted how you are feeling!
 
sandpiper
You are too funny!!! I'm feeling Better today. Rest is the key. I totally agree at the thought of what our bodies have been through. It deserves some rest. Actually, the thought of swinging my hips makes me nauseas. The pain associated with that kind of movement... Yikes! The entire male population Will have to wait until I'm healed for that performance. Today is a better day a d I hope they keep on moving in this right direction.

How are you doing? I don't think you posted an update yet today. How are you doing? Are you doing your exercises?? Taking your meds on time.
 
nmay51 I am so happy that you are feeling a bit better. It's hard just sitting back and doing nothing! I know because I used to be very active! This drives me crazy but I do know that rushing myself isn't the answer either. I need to be jumping up and down at the grandkids baseball games and out on the dance floor! Lol don't worry....we'll get there!

I'm doing ok. Have a headache I can't seem to shake and I'm a bit sore today but I believe that's due to swelling. Nothing I can't tolerate.
Make sure you get some good sleep tonight! This time last week we were saying only 3 more sleeps til show time. Now we are almost a week post-op! Can you believe it???!
 
tashia thank you so much for your help. The idea of elevation is a bit confusing to me as the hospital would only allow my head to be raised but not my legs at all. In our BS library I found several pics of a leg being raised level with the nose. Which is better?
 
[Bonesmart.org] Sandpiper sails over to the other side
sandpiper, toes above nose is the best position for the most help with swelling because it gets your feet above heart level. So this means not having your upper body upright but laid part way back or flat if you prefer, then propping legs up with pillows so your toes are above your nose, but you are not breaking the 90 degree rule. Hope this makes sense.
 
Hi sandpiper. Glad to hear you seem to be doing well!!! I am 9 days post op and feel like I turned a corner yesterday & today. Energy level is coming back - probably 21.5% of normal but better than 5-7% it has been. Appetite a little better. Are you on 90 degree restrictions? I am not.
 
Shadow09 yes i am on 90 degree rule. Sounds like you are doing amazingly well!!!! That's sooo great!!! And only 9 days post-op! What an inspiration! I too have little appetite which drives my mim nuts! I'm staying with her this week and she wants to feed me non stop! Yikes! I know I need nourishment but I just can't eat ALL day long! Lol otherwise all is well. If that's my biggest complaint I guess I should shut up!!! Lol
bottomshollow tx!!! That explains it!! I guess in the hospital they wanted me w/out pillows because they had my head up! Tx for your help!!!
 
Sandpiper,
Glad you doing well :)
I was looking at videos post op of THR on you tube & they give you SAFE ideas for easier time during your healing.
One of which I use with my PT's okay is using a big towel rolled up & taped to hold it together( surgical tape)
I put this behind my knee of bad leg while laying down, this helps with swolleness & also my leg lift exercise. Ask your pt about using this method. It may work for you. BUT get physical therapist permission first! :umm:
Hope you continue to do well :yay: Ttys keep taking you time!!!
 
I have a question for anyone who's tried to ay on their side after the 4 th week.
Not he operated side. I did try with pillow between my legs then got worried I might harm my healing process.
I didn't read many stories on this subject in forum or library. I'd appreciate any feed back on this matter :thankyou:
Hope all are doing well with their recovery :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom