Guest viewing is limited

THR Sandpiper sails over to the other side

Status
Not open for further replies.
nmay51 I just noticed Mickey in your avatar. Disney fan? I am going to change my avatar again and thinking of something beachy - we love the Caribbean or something Disney - since I am a huge Disney fan - trip planned in December!
 
Shadow09 My avatar in new compliments of bottomshollow. She created it for me. Mickey is in my avatar. I'm a Disney fan and I don't have a choice because my daughter and son in law are "freaks" about Disney. I go with the flow or I'm left behind. :giggle:

I haven't been able to walk around Disney in a couple of years, but we live close by and the kids will push me around downtown Disney on occasion. That's all over now. The next time I hit Disney property it will be under my own steam!

I'm taking the family (son, daughter and her husband) on a Disney Cruise 10/5/13. I think that makes my Disney Fan Card properly punched, right?? It's hard not to be a Disney Fan, it's the happiest place on earth!!! I get an added bonus because when my family from New England come to Disney for vacation, I get the geographical benefit of spending time with them too.

You'll love Disney in December, Christmas celebrations, the weather is great and you'll be walking pain free!!!

Nancy
 
Shadow09 Ithink I remember you mentioning that your trip was a big family trip with lots of little grandbabies! I personally couldn't think of a better motivation than a trip with my family and especially grandbabies, to get me up and moving than that! You've got some serious motivation there. If the motivation is slacking, maybe get the kids to take photos of the grandkids in various Disney gear for some pictures, or mark off a calendar with plans you make with the family. My kids have me on countdown.... 88 days left until our cruise :happydance: Of course that's till the cruise, we still have to shop for the cruise... :)

Nancy
 
Oh sandpiper, Rhythm is lovely. Such a soft eye, and she looks like she knows she got a great deal when you rescued her!
You and nmay51 are cracking me up! Its fantastic that you two are doing so well, and that you have each other (and the rest of us, of course)! :SUNsmile:
 
sandpiper Your horse, Rhythm, is unbelievable. So pretty! And healthy looking. What a beautiful animal.
You ladies are sure having fun over on your thread post-op! So glad you're doing well sandpiper and nmay51 !
Twin hip princesses, is that what you call yourselves? With tiaras and Prince Charming? Good for you two. The worst is over, so now it's just taking it easy and recovering. Ice, rest, take the meds if you need them and everything else will come along.
The Disney trips sound like a real bonus to look forward to. It's great you have something with the family all lined up. Give you a goal and an inspiration.
Keep getting better. You're doing great! :)
 
ByGosh. It's funny how the conversation on here strays from the reason we are all here to begin with! Laughter is a good thing tho! Lucky for me my hippie twin has a great sense of humor! :friends: there is such a connection with everyone one here. You get to be yourself! ( yes... Unfortunately I am this cooky in real life too! Lol)
How are you managing? I can't imagine have both done at the same time! :yikes:
 
ByGosh. Thanks! Rhythm is a beauty! And to think we picked her up as a rescue
horse. She's an amazing girl. My daughter trained her and she's turned out to be the sweetest thing! My 6 yr old grandaughter
Gets on her!
 
Hi all, have a question :)
I have been getting by great with hardly any pain, just a spasm here & there & sore stiff incision area but today all of a sudden I had a stabbing pain in my groin/ inner thigh area. Went away as quickly as it appeared! Some say I'm overdoing PT exercises? I was told to expect pain from tissues & tendons healing but wow... One sharp pain had me thinking I need more surgery(hypochondriac) ya think! Don't mind constant soreness. Its the quick sharp pain that scares me!!! If it comes back will call doctor. Just wanted to know if anyone here knows what 'm talking about. Then maybe I can put my mind at ease & sleep
Tonight :gaah: Thank You as always for your help :thankyou:
 
adobo. Hi!i had some instances like that. One with a sharp pain in the groin and a second with sharp pain in the knee. I too was worried but was assured that its the tendons and muscles healing and not to worry at all. I was worried about dislocation with the hip and wondered if the sharp pain meant anything. I was told that if i dislocated the hip there would be NO way I'd take another step afterwards. My home care nurse and the nurse from orthopedic surgeons office both gave me similar answers so my thought is that you are fine but I am no expert!!!! Why not tag Josephine and ask her just to be sure. To tag her you click into this box where you type your message... And type in @ then her name like this...Josephine. Let me know how you make out but don't get yourself too worried!
 
Before I answer, I have some questions to ask you:
1. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine. And don't compare this with the bone-on-bone pain you had before surgery!
[Bonesmart.org] Sandpiper sails over to the other side
)

2. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?
3. how often are you icing your hip and for how long?
4. how high are you elevating your leg, how often and for how long?
5. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and
6. what kind of PT are you doing? How much and how often?
 
sandpiper,
Ty so much for responding :) I wasnt afraid of dislocation yikes ! :gaah:
Cause I was told I would know if that happened... Like my cat I would hit the ceiling on all fours!!! Lol
Its a new pain & I think I tugged/pulled on tendons or something. Cause pain does go away when I lie down & am not walking.
Just hurts when I lift bad leg to walk, not every step. Just here & there... I am in 5 th week ( tues) so got nervous feeling new pain!
But I will ask Josephine just in case. Again tyvm for responding and I hope you are doing well in your recovery, I know you 8 days into
Recovery & your posts sound terrific! Ke u the good work & happy healing :yay:
 
Josephine
I havent iced my leg at all. All swelling was gone 2nd week.
I did do pt exercises two times today & cooked lunch. Stood by stove 10 minutes.
Just taking 2-3x a day generic oxy 5-325 & iron pills,1 800 mg motrin in morning.
Lay down/sit in bed most of day & night as I cant sit in chair more than 1hr I get stiff & lower back hurts.
I do walk back & forth to kitchen & bathroom many times a day. Haven't been to pt since last Tues.. Going back next Monday.
My groin started w/ sharp pain then nothing. When I went to walk into kitchen it came back only when I lift my bad leg every few steps. But goes away when I stay off my feet.
I started using cane but may go back to crutch.
My doctor did tell me last meeting June 21st that I may feel pain in different areas
While healing. I just got worried cause it was a NEW pain to me. :gaah: I'm a worrier! Ty for any information you can give. :)
 
Josephine
Sorry my PT exercises are,
20 leg slides
20 pedals( reps)
15 leg lifts with towel behind my knee
10 leg abductors
10 leg lifts while holding table
30 reps of bridge
 
I did do pt exercises two times a day
20 leg slides
20 pedals (reps)
15 leg lifts with towel behind my knee
10 leg abductors
10 leg lifts while holding table
30 reps of bridge
Well, there's your reason - you are only 5 weeks out and already going like gangbusters! You know, hips really don't need all this - they have a way of sorting themselves out with some sensible exercises and walking. Walking is far and away the best exercise, btw, but no mile hikes!

I suggest you cut back on these like so and once a day
10 leg slides
10 pedals (reps)
5 leg lifts with towel behind my knee
5 leg abductors
10 leg lifts while holding table
30 reps of bridge
I cant sit in chair more than 1hr I get stiff & lower back hurts. When I went to walk into kitchen it came back only when I lift my bad leg every few steps
Then you need to ice the area as well as this tells me you may not have visible swelling but you do have internal swelling. Swelling = pain. Get ice on it.
 
adobo, that happened to me today during my exercises. I let those particular exercises stop for the day and went on to some that didn't repeat the pain. As I settled down, the pain wasn't repeated. It was certainly sharp and got my attention. The exercise that I was doing was while laying on my back and opening and closing my legs at 5 second in and out intervals. On my exercise sheet their called "Abduction and adduction". In my mind, after all the things that have been done to our hips recently... I'm not surprised they complain loudly when we ask more of them. A little peace of mind goes a long way:SUNsmile: ... maybe a call to the doc to get his opinion??? Keep me posted, please.

Nancy
 
Josephine
Tyvm for advice will ice it right away!
This sharp pain only comes when I lift leg,
I will follow instructions & if pain is still there & as sharp in next 2 days I will contact surgeon.
Thank you so very much for taking time to help me :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom