Guest viewing is limited

MUA Rubber band feeling'

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have what we call a thumper, or a device meant to rub over your back that has 3 ball on it that turn in a circular motion. In the early days to help with the stiffness, I would run that up and down the upper part of my leg, p/t mentioned using a rolling pin, but I found this electric device easier to hang on to and seemed soothe the muscles. It's a suggestion, this can be bought at Walmart, or other stores like it, it is made by home medics. If others think this is a wrong route to go, speak up, I used it and thought it worked well.
 
@gazelle7777. Was the banding so severe that it impacted your walking. Most of the times I feel like my knee is strangled. How many months did it take?
 
I'm looking to purchase a stationary bike to help with my recovery. Don't want an El cheapo but also don't want to spend hundreds. Any suggestion on the type of bike best suited for tkr therapy would be appreciated.
 
I don't know the best bike.. But I got this and aside from the uncomfortable for me seat ( I got a gel cover which helped a lot). I got it for long term not just for now.. I am adapting to it nicely. Adjustable tension
Pro Indoor Cycling Bike by Sunny Health and Fitness

Caveat it does throw your weight forward when the seat is high. This could be hard on your arms.. I went with ratings. I wanted stability.. It is more stable than the bike in the gym!
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002CVU2HG/?tag=ate362da-20
 
I have a BodyFit (by Sports Authority) recumbent exercise bike. It probably cost around $200 new but got on Craigslist for $40. It has a bunch of programmable tension settings, but right now I'm just using it on the lowest tension. It is a little low to the ground so it took me to week 4 to be able to get down to the seat and back up again, but it is stable so no worries about tipping it over.
[Bonesmart.org] Rubber band feeling'
 
Last edited by a moderator:
New years eve a very odd thing happened to my severe banding clamp that I've been worrying about here and to my Dr. I went to get up after being in the same recliner watching a movie for two hours. The clamp feeling was covering my entire knee and I literally could only bend my knee a few inches. It all like shifted to this position. I went right to bed to stretch out, took my meds and sleep ing pills. In the morning was back to the normal banding feeling but leg felt like full of cement. Thoughts?
 
That sounds more like a cramp to me. Let me tag @Josephine and we'll see what she thinks.
 
It definitely was not a cramp. I've been getting those all along. I think sitting in the one position for over two hours shifted whatever my banding problem is to an area that caused my issue when I got up. I have a horrible feeling that I have a lot of adhesions inside my knee.
 
What you described isn't the feeling you will get with adhesions (which are actually not very common). With adhesions your motion is very limited and it feels like your bending hits a hard stop. That feeling doesn't resolve until the adhesions are broken up. Since you were sitting with limited motion for quite a while, it's more likely you had muscles that tightened up from the inactivity or the position you were in. Once you changed positions and took pain medications to relax the soft tissue, things returned to "normal."
 
OK thanks Josephine makes sense when you explained how adhesions would feel vs what I've been feeling. I didn't know that adhesions would bring my movement to a hard stop
 
Are you still adhering to the exercise regimen you listed last month? I understand from repeated posts you still have a banding feeling that shifts.
But what are you doing? Still that amount of exercise? Less? More? That has not been updated.

I still have moving twinges and some tightness relieved by stretching and the bike.. But its not my whole life and it does not impede me. But I haven't done nearly the formal exercises you are doing.. Just walking biking and a little gym now cause I feel my knee is ready.
 
I got a nice recumbent bike for about $200 at Walmart. I think it was an exer...something. I ride it everyday 5-10 miles.
 
Yes, I'm still going to PT three times a week and I have talked to him about being to aggressive. Actually when I leave his office my banding feeling is at its best. I have backed off on my home excercise. I was doing a substantial amount of home excercise twice daily. Now I do some stretching and the excercise but spread it across the whole day. I bought an excercise bike which should arrive this week. I know at PT my knee really feels good after 10 mins. My home excercise I try to keep limited to prevent swelling.

Now every night when I roll over I get major muscle cramps in both my knees, stronger though in my replacement knee.
 
Swelling from aggressive therapy comes the day later or night later. Of course at PT it feels better after 10 minutes as they have techniques to alleviate the swelling and the movement disperses fluid..

That is a lot of PT that you are still doing .. I am just doing my normal stuff.. I am a couple of weeks ahead of you. I am doing bike each morning to loosen up. Then whatever needs to be done or wants to be done like hiking or snowshoeing. I am still a little stiff but its very ignorable.

I was in that PT grip too went cause it felt good. Next day not so good. But they were lightening my wallet and wanted me to come for many months to come. That I was stiff next day was their proof I needed them.

Nope.

So given your story I am not surprised you are still plagued by internal swelling.. I think you should limit your PT to eliminate swelling.. How are you convinced it is not the PT that contributes to that?

I think you will like your bike. I like mine very much
 
I just wonder how you'd feel if you didn't go to PT for a week or so. That tight feeling persists with PT, curious if it would persist without PT.
 
@Pontoon. are u still in pt because u haven't reached 120 rom? I'm trying to decide next week when I'm at 8 weeks post op if I should get insurance approval for more pt sessions since I'm only 110 rom at 7 weeks? My husband thinks I should stop only when I get to 120 because he doesn't believe I will get there on own.


Sent from my iPad using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
Swelling from aggressive therapy comes the day later or night later. Of course at PT it feels better after 10 minutes as they have techniques to alleviate the swelling and the movement disperses fluid..

That is a lot of PT that you are still doing .. I am just doing my normal stuff.. I am a couple of weeks ahead of you. I am doing bike each morning to loosen up. Then whatever needs to be done or wants to be done like hiking or snowshoeing. I am still a little stiff but its very ignorable.

I was in that PT grip too went cause it felt good. Next day not so good. But they were lightening my wallet and wanted me to come for many months to come. That I was stiff next day was their proof I needed them.

Nope.

So given your story I am not surprised you are still plagued by internal swelling.. I think you should limit your PT to eliminate swelling.. How are you convinced it is not the PT that contributes to that?

I think you will like your bike. I like mine very much


Little red. I'm going to discuss the idea of dropping or at least reducing the number of times I go to PT with my Dr on Friday. With the new year i start all over again with my Dec and OOP. So not looking forward to giving money to him 3 days a week. My extension is at zero and last checked I'm at 110 extension w/0 assistance and 120. My scar is still extremely tight at the bottom so once that loosens up my extension will be far better. I will let u know how I make out Friday
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom