MUA Rubber band feeling'

Status
Not open for further replies.
I also just started getting muscle cramps when I roll over at night in both knees. Very odd, doesn't really hurt. I do a few pumps and goes away. I'm hoping this is a good sign
 
Pontoon I haven't had muscle cramps in my knees( I almost forgot the m in cramps!) for a while. I was dehydrated after surgery and made extra effort to drink water. I hate charley horses! A couple of nights I was able to stretch out before they came on hard.
I walked an hour at the gym today. That was way more than I had walked before at speed( 3 mph). I felt a banding around the knee toward the end.. So I went and got on a recumbent bike and the band worked out.

Then cause I am an idiot and went to Walmart for gym clothes and walked there for an hour.. I now better go find my ice, elevate and knit. My knee cap is a little warm. Lately it has not been warm at all
Because otherwise that band will be back .. I don't like it.. To me its a signal to Back Off..

Pontoon remember you own that knee. Your OS can suggest but it is not his or her knee.
 
@Pontoon. are u still in pt because u haven't reached 120 rom? I'm trying to decide next week when I'm at 8 weeks post op if I should get insurance approval for more pt sessions since I'm only 110 rom at 7 weeks? My husband thinks I should stop only when I get to 120 because he doesn't believe I will get there on own.

I had a late start in PT due to a hematoma in my leg that occurred during surgery. It was a good three weeks before I could put any weight on my operative knee.

Sent from my iPad using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Pontoon I haven't had muscle cramps in my knees( I almost forgot the m in cramps!) for a while. I was dehydrated after surgery and made extra effort to drink water. I hate charley horses! A couple of nights I was able to stretch out before they came on hard.
I walked an hour at the gym today. That was way more than I had walked before at speed( 3 mph). I felt a banding around the knee toward the end.. So I went and got on a recumbent bike and the band worked out.

Then cause I am an idiot and went to Walmart for gym clothes and walked there for an hour.. I now better go find my ice, elevate and knit. My knee cap is a little warm. Lately it has not been warm at all
Because otherwise that band will be back .. I don't like it.. To me its a signal to Back Off..

Pontoon remember you own that knee. Your OS can suggest but it is not his or her knee.

I think I might have described the feeling incorrectly. Wasn't a cramp like a charlie horse, more like a muscle spasm. And in both knees for whatever reason
 
@Pontoon
All the soft tissues in and around your knee, thigh, and below you knee joint were handled, moved around and disturbed during your surgery. They're all going to be irritable for some time yet and you will get odd aches and pains all over your leg. The haematoma you had will have disturbed things as well.
Your "good" leg is working harder than usual too, compensating for your operated leg.

How much PT are you doing and how much other exercise are you getting? It might be a good idea to stop all the exercise except for what you really need to do in your daily life, and see if that helps.

I'm going to ask @Josephine to advise you. If she asks you a lot of questions, do try to answer every one of them as fully as possible, so that she has all the information she needs, to advise you appropriately.
 
I had my 12 week checkup with my OS. He said all is well. Flexion is 110 and passively 120. Extension is good. He tried to reassure me that my banding will go away in time. Next appointment is in two months unless I develop pain infection fever or loss of ROM I'm still scared to death about having this banding for the rest of my life, which I know I could not handle. I'm now trying to get adjusted to an antidepressant to help me thru this depression. I'm almost 60 years old and have never suffered from depression. It is not fun. OS agreed I could stop going to my PT as long as I do some home pt.
 
I feel banding a little today.. But I am not paying attention to it.. Will carry on with bike riding.. It happens.. It goes and comes and each week a little less..
Remember you are way more than a knee. At your ROM you ought to be able to get out.. What are you doing socially out of the house? Diverting attention to other things may help your depression as much as meds.
And did you get your bike??:biking::upright:
 
I had my 12 week checkup with my OS. He said all is well. Flexion is 110 and passively 120. Extension is good. He tried to reassure me that my banding will go away in time. Next appointment is in two months unless I develop pain infection fever or loss of ROM I'm still scared to death about having this banding for the rest of my life, which I know I could not handle. I'm now trying to get adjusted to an antidepressant to help me thru this depression.
I'm glad your checkup went well. with a ROM of 110, and a potential ROM of 120, you don't need to go to PT any more. You won't lose the ROM you already have and you don't need to do any exercise, apart from the activities of daily living, to improve it.

Do believe your surgeon, that you will not have this tight band for ever. We've all tried to reassure you about that, too. Believe us - we've experienced it.

A short course of anti-depressant coudl be very helpful to you right now. I hope you soon start to feel better. :friends:
 
I feel banding a little today.. But I am not paying attention to it.. Will carry on with bike riding.. It happens.. It goes and comes and each week a little less..
Remember you are way more than a knee. At your ROM you ought to be able to get out.. What are you doing socially out of the house? Diverting attention to other things may help your depression as much as meds.
And did you get your bike??:biking::upright:


We've recently moved to Florida so not a lot of friends around yet and family lives back in CT. We did take a ride today to see another couple that lives and hour away. I work from home, so no human contact there. My husband has been great thru this whole ordeal, as much as he can be.

My bike arrives on Tuesday of next week. Can't wait to start a routine.

We have a pontoon boat, so on weekends we generally are out on the boat.

My banding digs into areas of the knee that causes me to walk incorrectly at times and throws off my hip. I also have the heavy cement feeling that makes it difficult as well. I do as much walking as I'm able to do.

Thanks for responding little red, you've been a great help.
 
Pontoon I hate to add to the bike budget. But we are coming to Florida for five weeks to canoe and to bike
Florida has an amazing bike trail array.
I think you will find biking easier on your knee than walking. I get the banding feeling after a while on the treadmill and then I run over to the bike which really really helps.

Take a look at the opportunites for biking whether you choose upright, trike or recumbent . I think in a few weeks you will say "Banding? What banding?"

https://floridahikes.com/biking
 
Pontoon I hate to add to the bike budget. But we are coming to Florida for five weeks to canoe and to bike
Florida has an amazing bike trail array.
I think you will find biking easier on your knee than walking. I get the banding feeling after a while on the treadmill and then I run over to the bike which really really helps.

Take a look at the opportunites for biking whether you choose upright, trike or recumbent . I think in a few weeks you will say "Banding? What banding?"

https://floridahikes.com/biking

Thanks

I actually bought a stationary bike, I'm definitely not ready for any trail riding

I hope you right about.not feeling any banding in a few weeks. I really need to get my life back.
 
This morning upon getting up I'm now having pain in my shin when I walk.
Any ideas?
 
Hey there, how are you feeling now? I get allsorts of pains in allsorts of places. I just get rid of one then another pops up somewhere else. Feel like I can`t win at the moment!
 
The only discomfort I have going on right now is the severe rubber band clamp around the knee that throws off my walking. Just doesn't want to get better
 
It will get better. Just give it time. remember that this recovery takes a full year and you are less than 3 months into it.
What you have now is not what you will end up with.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Back
Top Bottom