Guest viewing is limited

MUA RTKR Done!

Status
Not open for further replies.
And you are not allowed to keep your trap shut, get back in the ring. We fight together , not alone. Or I'm gonna come and drop ice cubes down your back.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Just keep on keeping on, woman! You're doing a fantastic job with this process. Mine has slowed as I work towards our move, I miss being active!! Once we're in FL I'll be in the pool every day... maybe I'll catch up to you then. :thumb:
 
Hey Laura...as for me you can always vent.....aside from the 4 PT sessions after my surgery and 4 sessions in March to see how far I could bend I have done no PT except walking and stretching...I just found walking to be the best...as a former gym rat I never thought I would say it .....your situation is a little out of the box so trial and ,hopefully,few errors and you will find the right combination......always here for you.....

Vinny
 
I too am struggling and you get so much mixed advice from different people my sons father in law is bone surgeon in Portugal and he saw me this weekend and is most concerned the leg is not straight I felt quite depressed
We do what we can and its a long journey but here we support each other and it is a place to be honest how you feel so we can all support each other x


20/01/2015
 
Yes, we are all here to support each other...I have PT today and had a couple of dog walks as well..One of my sits has stairs, so I practiced going up and down them the correct way without the pups of course, but with the pups I did it the old peg legged way, didn't want to take a chance and fall with the pups..they are only 4 or 5lbs a piece so there was no pulling or anything..I also noticed today that the lateral part of my knee was very sore while driving today..the knee or surrounding areas do not hurt if I am just hanging out or up and about with out bending it further than it naturally goes..as soon as I try to put a bit of pressure on it the lateral part of the knee has a very sharp pain, and then the inside of the knee as well...Im wondering if there is some loose tissue that is getting caught in the joint..its the same pain I had when my meniscus would get caught in the joint and tear, but I don't have a meniscus any longer...Will wait to see what PT has to say today! Hope everyone is having a great Wed....
 
Here is Groot at 11 weeks today.....

[Bonesmart.org] RTKR Done!
 
Spencieca....you may already do this, but since your photo doesn't show it, I'll mention that your knee could benefit by being elevated higher with 2-3 pillows on that footstool. It does appear a bit swollen, so ice may help you too.

Still early days in this recovery journey. You'll get there!!!
 
I do elevate it when I ice..I was just getting ready to put shoes on to head out the door for petsit and PT..but thank you for the reminder!
 
I can't see your pic, but I'm already crazy jealous of your awesome scar. Mine is so three dimensional now it shows up through my slacks.
 
I had pain in similar areas on my knee. I went to my OS and after a very detailed exam, it was ruled as a combination of scar tissue and some weak muscles getting a work out.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
My PT guy did some kinetic tape for the knee in the 2 spots where I have the most pain..he spent a good amount of time massaging those area to try to loosen them up or break some of the scar tissue...unfortunately it didn't help very much..it gave me a bit of relief, but when we tried to bend it for the ROM we could only get it to 90 again, no further...he said he could feel that it was pretty much stuck...I have PT tomorrow and the therapist I have tomorrow is really good at massaging the whole knee..Its kind of neat to see each of the therapists and their different techniques, their strengths and belief's...One of my PT is strictly an exercise person, like a personal trainer, another is hands on and very "old school" and then the last is very serene and hands on and calm..Each work their magic in their own way.....Going to ice and take some meds and lay low for the rest of the evening...
 
But also remember biological systems to require a degree of stressing to strengthen.
My PT told me to make serious progress I needed to do more on my off PT days.
Yes, but NOT WHILE YOU'RE IN RECOVERY!!!
I had pain in similar areas on my knee. I went to my OS and after a very detailed exam, it was ruled as a combination of scar tissue and some weak muscles getting a work out.
So nothing what ever to do with recent surgery then? :skep:
 
Jo..I may be stepping on some toes here but I was told the same thing as WV and I'm pretty sure so we're MANY other people. The UK is definitely different from the US but thst doesn't make 1 right and the other wrong. I come to these boards foe encouragement and information to help me make my own decision. A few times now you have made me feel as though my thoughts and beliefs are wrong because you do not agree with them.
 
Using the vibrator on the cryo cuff. Afterwards knee felt looser than before I put the cuff on.

The only exercise my PT wanted me to do on off days was the machines to keep activity on the joints, all pusher machines and a recumbent bike. None of the strengthening exercises or the ones that put strain on the muscles or joints.

No he said he saw everything in the knee he expected at this point in my recovery. He mention the nerve that goes under the knee cap like a smiley face had to be cut, thus the numb spot to the right of the knee cap. I think he was referencing the points of pain I pointed out to him. After pressing on those spots while intended and then while he moved the knee he speculated scare tissue in the area. That's when he recommended I stop any exercise that caused the pain for at least a week while icing. Then gradually restart with light use, but keep up motion so I don't loose ROM.

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I have always found this thread interesting as I am a hippie therefore much of your problems are different to mine and about most cannot give am opinion based upon experience.
However I do feel its a fundamental right for people to be able to post their experience and thoughts as long as its theirs. I totally agree there are many diff methods and doctrines re procedure and recovery and that no opinion has the accolade ever of being totally right. Everyone should have the opportunity to post without fear of being shouted down. This by its nature will increase the possibility of not posting at all. We all know that not comunicatiing fears concerns can lead to all sorts of possible negative outcomes.
We have to trust our surgeons or the whole recovery process can be fraught with worries and concerns which can get in the way of good recovery. Yes we have the right to question the surgeon no one can demand we do it, they can advise its a course of action.
Ok exercise thing, all exercise can be uncomfortable but being uncomfortable isnt a problem its a problem if it is v painful. Having teeth scraped is uncomfortable but requires no numbing I wouldnt want an extraction without numbing. Its like years ago bad back meant lie on back dont move, now its move but in the right way.
My last thought is use of capitals I personally find its like being shouted down, a case of you WILL listen to me. My personal reaction to that is to turn off and most certainly not listen.
Sorry to butt in and I hope I have managed to relay my thoughts in a fair way.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
@Spencieca I agree that there are a spectrum of ways of doing things and the one chosen is individual. The important thing is confidence in your medical team (obviously you have done your research on their bona fides), commitment to what you need to do (or are advised to do) and belief that all are working in your best interest. Undermining anyone of these fundamentals causes unnecessary angst and allows doubt to creep in, which is not good on any front.

@Legin I agree with your comments above. It takes a certain courage to bear your heart, fears and uncertainties on a public forum.

Hope this finds you both hale and hearty - Maggie x
 
It's really interesting reading the different kinds of PT, I had the same guy every time and he was all exercise, I never got a massage or tens or anything mechanical. We stretched then walked then he pushed my knee to bend. I might've stayed with it more if I'd had some other form of therapy, my facility even had a pool and I asked about hydrotherapy, he just said he preferred his regimen.
 
Jo..I may be stepping on some toes here but I was told the same thing as WV and I'm pretty sure so we're MANY other people.
Don't understand the last phrase in your post though I'm sure it's probably predictive texting at fault again! Was it "so WERE many other people"? But don't ever be afraid to voice your opinion. At least you were respectful doing so! So thank you for that!
The UK is definitely different from the US but that doesn't make 1 right and the other wrong. I come to these boards for encouragement and information to help me make my own decision. A few times now you have made me feel as though my thoughts and beliefs are wrong because you do not agree with them
You know what, I could care less where people live and my opinion is based upon an awful lot of experience and probable more years of it than many of your surgeons! My main and ONLY concern is for the well being of everyone and when I see people being advised down a road that my overall experience tells me is neither warranted nor beneficial, I am bound to speak up else I could not call myself a nurse. My only motive is caring for you and everybody else on here. If you could but view my comments in that vein, I would hope you would see that they are in your own best interests as an alternative way to approach this business rather than a put-down. I can assure you this in the only place you will get both side of these issues offered without fear or favour.
 
WERE We're? who cares about predictive texting....the point is that everyone has different experiences and recoveries as the moderator's on this site frequently point out....and many people are of the opinion that there is a difference in philosophy with US and UK medical practices.. I am one of the many other people....you will get there @Spencieca ....

Vinny
 
and many people are of the opinion that there is a difference in philosophy with US and UK medical practices.
But there's no difference in the anatomy of the knees. Knee anatomy knows no nationality.

I often ask myself this: If people in the UK recover successfully without lots of intensive PT and without developing scar tissue/adhesions, why is there such a common belief in the US that you have to do lots of intensive PT, or else the adhesions will develop?

There is no one right or wrong approach that its suitable for all. Personality may come into it, but the bones and soft tissues all take a very similar amount of time to recover from surgery.

Different surgeons learn different approaches during their training and afterwards in their practices - and that becomes the approach they recommend for their patients.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom