Guest viewing is limited

MUA RTKR Done!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree.....no right or wrong...just what works for you and OS have different approaches....my OS does not approve of narcotics and he was trained in England and Australia and most on bonesmart advocate them...whatever works for you

Vinny
 
I think in the US its a matter of getting people back to work as quickly as possible. That mind set of recovery needing to be limited so people can get back to their lives as fast as possible. I think that can be seeded with mis-perceptions, but also is highly dependent on the individual. Our nerves are wonderful feedback structures, and our body has a great self healing response. A balance must therefore be struck.

I had a knee injury when I was in college. Back then the philosophy was to immobilize instead of surgery on younger patients. And after almost 6 months in various forms of casts, PT was not fun. Today, that is not feasible or practical, in the US we are to much of a hurry up and get back up an rolling mindset. My recovery has always kept to one common theme, "moving forward", so regardless of good PT or minor set backs, I rested and recovered during the set backs, but kept what I could do going, often that was stretching.

I have had the benefit of having both a good PT and a bad PT. The good PT encouraged me to move forward, but always watch out for any pain, that would indicate we are doing to much. intermixed with that was the use of daily motion that was less stressful that kept the knee moving and offered cardiovascular and stamina benefits. On the flip side, the bad PT pushed until I hurt something, and because I had spent 6 weeks with a good PT I didn't anticipate it at all. My complaint lead to me being on PT on my own at the same regularity. Fortunately I learned enough from my good PT to do it right, and work for benefit rather than pain. Not that there isn't some discomfort sometimes, but its like the discomfort of a mild stretch, not th sharp pain of a MWU.

The need for us to both care and protect ourselves as we recover and the need to restore and recover what we have lost or long for are always there. I appreciate the comments and the freedom to discuss and share and understand. Without thoughtful and good discussion views and options would not be available to those who needed it. Know they self is the best knowledge to have I guess.
 
Don't understand the last phrase in your post though I'm sure it's probably predictive texting at fault again! Was it "so WERE many other people"? But don't ever be afraid to voice your opinion. At least you were respectful doing so! So thank you for that!
Im pretty sure you understood what I was saying, and no I was not texting. There are some people who make mistakes in their posts, perhaps English is their 2nd language, no need to correct them, this is not school, it is a board where people go in hopes to find some support...@Legin I purposely did not use any caps :)

I have PT again today, the knee is not sore after the PT session yesterday..I ended up taking off the tape before bed, I couldn't sleep with it on...I start a busy week with dog walks and overnights this weekend and all next week so wish me luck! Hope everyone is having a good day! Life is Good!!!
 
Hope you have fun with the dog walkies!! Life is indeed good, even though I'm achy today I know I'm on the road to a more active life, so YAY!!!!
 
@specieca Love the dog walks...we walk in bushlands with our mob. Lots of tree roots and rutted tracks....kinda good PT plus the mental teheapy...can't beat it. Today the flock of black cockatoos were wheeling n screeching overhead. Just fantastic
 
Maggie..wish we had open areas like you do but sadly we do not..we do have a lot of dog parks and a few dog beaches but I'm not very fond of them...I just about have a heart attack when I see a pup running freely off leash with their parents..
 
I am in the UK I wonder if part of the difference is in UK most knees are done on NHS and they are cash strapped whereas in U.S. Most is done via insurance that covers the cost of aftercare like physio
I was in private hospital but referred via NHS choices and so was under that philosophy of care and was referred for physio via NHS however the hydrotheraphy care I had to pay for but was well worth it



20/01/2015
 
Am I the only one who does not have a dog? I guess no doggie could ever replace Rockaways Lady Abigail..my little Abbie

Vinny
 
WERE We're? who cares about predictive texting
I do when it makes it difficult for me to read a post quickly!
Im pretty sure you understood what I was saying, and no I was not texting. This is not school, it is a board where people go in hopes to find some support
Actually it took me two or three reads to get it which was an inconvenience given the number of posts I have to read and reply to in one day. I don't have the luxury of browsing around like you do! :wink:

and many people are of the opinion that there is a difference in philosophy with US and UK medical practices
Actually that's not true. We have our share of eager beavers here both in surgeons and in physiotherapists. We had one member a few months ago whose physio was so aggressive she managed to tear his quads tendon off his patella! Screwed up his new knee completely!
PT: the seriously grave consequences of doing too much of it
 
I am in the UK I wonder if part of the difference is in UK most knees are done on NHS and they are cash strapped
But they recover just as successfully in the UK and I know I have read somewhere that the incidence of MUAs is lower in the UK than in the USA.

I believe that people in the UK have just as much pressure to return to work as they do in the US. We all need some income.
 
Went to PT today..90 ROM still..therapist said to concentrate on trying to strengthen the quads and hamstrings. My knee is not over my toes when I stand, it rolls towards my other leg. Will make appt with OS to address my concerns.
 
It's a good idea to seek advice if you're worried about your knee.
 
@Spencieca thanks for all your posts. You have been a valuable resource for me in my healing. I look forward to reading your posts. Hang in there. Some days are easier than others. I loved your post about cycling around for the first time. I can so relate, I screamed out loud the first time the peddle went around. Just wanted to send you some kind words of encouragement. Keep posting reading your posts is one of my daily highlights. I have a dog, and finally being able to walk her and to throw her tennis ball at the park is amazing. The past few years I have not been able to walk her, without pain for the next few days. As soon as this left knee heals I will start planning to do the other knee. Blessings to you.
 
Thank you for the kind words Sandy...I will continue to post if it is helpful to others..if not no worries! Good job on you getting around on the bike!
 
As I was told knee replace is a roller coaster with lots curves,loops

Hang in there. Great post. We all like a big happy family.

In all honesty I could not have made it this far if I had not read posts,follow the staff advice. And did some of the techniques people have posted.

It's hard. Especially when home care/hospital staff olny can do so much for short time excerise wise.
Or questions we ask on here and we get a answer pretty fast.

And with doc office we don't always get help we need. Or can't just call for general questions. As to here we all have some one who has is or may have the problem we dealing with. And they can give solution and we can look at posts and try other ones.

Thanks for sharing you post. I say they are uplifting and encouraging post .
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Been a couple of days since I have posted in here...The knee is doing OK but nothing great..my ROM is still only at 90, with the help of the PT or the hubby, only 75-80 on my own..I am back to work walking pups and that is fun, unless there are stairs involved, then it's painful. At my PT session on Monday we went out side and walked up and down the stairs..I can go up OK but cannot go down without severe lateral pain and using my hip, not my knee.. this is where frustration gets the best of me..I am trying to be patient until I see the OS on the 19th. Hoping he will take xrays to make sure all is OK..it feels as though there is something getting caught in the joint on the outside of the knee, that ripping feeling when trying to get ROM..Life is Good and will go on!
 
But they recover just as successfully in the UK and I know I have read somewhere that the incidence of MUAs is lower in the UK than in the USA.

I believe that people in the UK have just as much pressure to return to work as they do in the US. We all need some income.
I agree totally with you but I meant in USA insurance pays for physio and a lot of it but in UK we don't automatically get physio only if hospital or doctor refers good case is someone now doing leg class with me is 12 months post op never offered physio and only got some after constantly pressurising her doctor


20/01/2015
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom