Guest viewing is limited

MUA RTKR Done!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't have PT on Monday, the therapist called in sick...I worked in the yard and took a pup on a short walk...today I worked in the yard, went shopping, and did score keeping for basketball....My knee is NOT a happy camper right now and I have PT tomorrow with a NOT nice therapist...I am having pain on the inside of the knee right above the shin bone and the outside of the knee is still very painful from the IT band issues...It doesn't feel like it is going to let me bend it any further..not sure I will be 100 tomorrow, we shall see...today I did use the soccer ball to roll on the floor to get some ROM and tried to ride my stationary bike here at home, but I couldn't get it all the way around...will see how tomorrow goes...I am excited that the hubby and I are going up to Santa Barbara to see family and their new baby.NOT looking forward to the 4 hour car ride...We shall wait and see! Hope everyone is having a good week so far! Remember, WE GOT THIS! Life is Good!!!!
 
Well ome thing I can read your report easy if in a rush caps do attract eye. Great you are getting away just keeo eye on knee. I know hubbers will

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Legin, my dad and his wife are going to be up in Santa Barbara also and my dad hasn't seen me since the day after the surgery...So Im sure I will have plenty of people "keeping an eye" on me..can't wait!
 
Enjoy Santa Barbara! Hopefully the knee will surprise you with an easy trip :)
 
made it to PT yesterday and I was right, Groot was not in the sharing mood...I only got to 90 and that was with a LOT of help..I couldn't go around on the bike forward either...the knee is a bit stiff and swollen so I have been icing it..I made the 4 hour car ride up with only 1 stop for the restroom..now I am here with the family and having a great time...I have PT on Monday again so we shall see what Groot has in store for me then! Have a great weekend everyone!
 
Groot was not in the ROM mood again today...we got to 90 and then 95 but only after being on the wall with a weight on and my other foot pushing it down...It did NOT hurt, it just wouldn't move...feeling a bit frustrated but will just keep on keeping on..have appt with OS on the 19th...asked if he did a 2nd MUA on his patients and he said that he had only done 1 and it was done with a scope and the outcome was not favorable...well needless to say that didn't give me a very good feeling! He got the knee to 123 with the first MUA so I know it can do it..I feels as if there is cement in there now...still have very sharp pain on the lateral part of the knee, same place I had my pain BEFORE my TKR, docs all said it was due to arthritis but now I know that CANT be the case because I have no arthritis over there any longer! So its all a mystery to me...
 
Thanks Angel, but I had the procedure on April 6th..lol....now Im just whining ....
 
Give your ROM some time. You may just have a little more scar tissue. Keep stretching and it will get there. You can do my gimp walk and tear some more out of there, but it hurts doing it.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Spencie....maybe it's time you try letting your knee rest and really cut back on the activity for a week or so. You know, you may not see swelling, but it is obviously there or your ROM would not have decreased. I agree with you that it's going to come eventually. But you may find it comes sooner if you let things settle. I know you don't feel like you're doing a lot, but an MUA can set you back in your recovery and you actually are pretty active considering the pain you're having.
 
Not sure if its whining or you are angry. Angry you have done all procedures as advised, done all PT and all proper recovery process of elevation etc. So now its the wall of WHY, and what next. It's still not that long, the body is a wierd thing after a motorbike accident I couldnt bend knee at all for 10 weeks. Then one day I rushed to the loo and as i was there It dawned on me I walked properly. You have put the poor wee knee under a lot of pressure recently just take a break for a wee while.
Sorry if I have spoken out of turn but you know me I often dont engage brain before putting mouth into gear.
Take care

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Since I stopped doing PT my ROM has increased seemingly through no effort of my part. And weirdly, every once in a while I'll get an odd tingling sensation (kinda painful) then a release like something is giving way, and voila' more ROM. I think it's scar tissue releasing; just seems to do better without me jamming on it all the time.
 
Since I stopped doing PT my ROM has increased seemingly through no effort of my part. And weirdly, every once in a while I'll get an odd tingling sensation (kinda painful) then a release like something is giving way, and voila' more ROM. I think it's scar tissue releasing; just seems to do better without me jamming on it all the time.


Please be careful. It take time. Pt is rough and does help if they or ourselves don't over do it. As I was told tingling and pain is normal. On here they said its cause of nerves healing.
 
My OS told me it is a cycle of forward steps, some damage to remove scar tissue, a period of rest and healing and then forward steps again. Eventually the cycle shortens as the reduction in scar tissue decreases enough and the ROM gradually increases.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Legin: First of all you can speak out of turn ANY time on my feed :)

I appreciate what everyone has said, thank you...I do not feel that I am over doing it everyday, I know I do sometimes, but not all the time..I have Always been an active person, with or without pain..I live with pain everyday..I have AIDS and have been infected for over 20 years now...the disease has done plenty of damage to my body, mostly the nervous system. I have Fibromyalgia as well as intermittent neuropathy. When I made my decision to have the surgery I was hoping I would get more mobility with less pain. I cannot take a week or 2 off any more, I have a job to do and a life to live. I know that this is an issue for many of us here and we still have to go back to work, back to kids, back to school, back to our lives..Im only 47 and do not want to live a sedatary life. My story is no different than any other person in here, it just has different circumstances..I for one have the same thought process as my OS and my PT team...I believe in moving the leg everyday, bending the knee to counter act the scar tissue forming, getting on with my every day activities...I apologize if I have stepped on any toes around here but this is how I look at things....Im going to just keep on keeping on most likely just keep my trap shut for a while and deal with things.....
 
Spencie....you haven't stepped on any toes. You are the one who knows your body better than anyone and you will do what you feel is best. No one thinks you must live a sedentary lifestyle. That is never what we recommend here on BoneSmart! Sometimes we will suggest that people scale back therapy and formal exercises temporarily to let a knee or hip rest and regroup. Even with that, it is important to move your knee throughout the day to keep it loose.

As you know with your medical issues, it is never a good thing to have your body inflamed and in pain. That just brings on more problems. I hope you can find that balance between rest and activity that allows you to reduce your pain levels.
 
I can see your motivation and I commend you for it. I am 54 but want my life back also. So I push myself. But you can push to your limits, as long as you know where they are. Your condition does not rule you. You obviously are not one to give up to things that try to take control from you. That to is commendable. I think thinking forward is a good approach. But also remember biological systems to require a degree of stressing to strengthen. Know your limits so you don't injure them and get you off your goal. I never thought I could get 7 degree ROM without a PT pushing on my knee. Well I did it myself. I used slow repetitive stretch with pauses to massage. On this

[Bonesmart.org] RTKR Done!


My PT told me to make serious progress I needed to do more on my off PT days. So I used one of these for 10-15 minutes. Every 5 minutes I changed the seat position to either really close so it made my knees bend a lot or way back to make them extend to flat.

[Bonesmart.org] RTKR Done!


I am making suggestions that might help you on your off PT time. The key is you control the activity and limits.

I think you may have some periods you will have to rest and ice if you over do it. But my PT advised to rest from the exercises that caused the need to ice, while continuing with the ones that are okay. So for me, strait leg curls are on the side burner for 4 days, but everything else is fair game

Hope this helps


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
One of the hardest things for people to accept is that they don't control the healing timeline and that everyone is different. Even two knees healing on the same person are different. (I'm currently finding it hard to be patient but know I must be as I heal from a broken wrist. From the tkr I know bones heal over time and not to set myself back by doing too much too soon.)

Do the best you can to ease off, especially since you are working. I know after my tkrs I found that if I slowly increased my activity I made gains without hurting myself. I am much more active than I used to be--it just took a while.
I think fibro can slow you down a bit in recovering--but you can get there and be much more active--again, you've got to give it time, though.
 
U know I am at 3 and sometimes 1 or 2 depends on how long I can handle leg out straight.
I used a wood chair that had a back. And set in couch and my toes touches the back while it was bent starlight.
This is helping me. But at the pt they have the bike and I was never able to do it. So i adjust seat and amount of resistance.
They also have the leg press which helps me to. But she said don't extend leg to much. Don't want ya to tear progress.
Also I did this. Laid on end of bed and let leg hang. I admit it is not comfey. But it does work away from pt.

Good luck.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom