Guest viewing is limited

MUA RTKR Done!

Status
Not open for further replies.
In scotland physio after this sort of opperation is guaranteed. The service now is self referral a triage type interview is held to determine if the treatment is needed.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Hi Laura...hope all goes well on the 19th....my OS visit is on the 18th to talk about my shoulder so if it's not one thing it's another....I have noticed that my left knee catches when sitting down if I bend past 90 degrees...seems like it will not go and then it pops and moves...not painful but a strange sensation....is that what you have when you get to 90?....how about walking on a flat surface? Any problems there? When my knee catches it is an audible pop..does that happen? I am going to review this with the OS and will post....

Vinny
 
Not all US insurances pay for PT. My insurance paid for all my PT, but my dad and BF had to pay out of pocket. Both of them stopped going to PT after 2 weeks as they could do all exercises at home and not spend dollars. All depends on your medical insurance.
 
Hope your OS gets you some relief, man this process can get frustrating, truly one step forward three steps back.
 
Hope your os gets you relief. Prayers for you.... Xxxx


FaithMitchmommy
PKR December.1,2014
TKREV MARCH.2,2015
 
@@Spencieca did you try the massage unit during your stretches. I have been doing it with mine, I stretch until I get resistance, then rub the unit in the area until it relaxes, then release and stretch some more. It takes more time and seems slower, but the results are less painful while getting improvements in ROM. My ROM is better since I was cut loose from PT also. I tend to focus on exercises that yield good results and less on those that deliver higher pain levels. Gonna reserve those for fewer reps and when i heal up more. your walking the dogs is going to do a lot more for you than you think. Bigger steps will help your knee bend more. I also spend time massaging and kneading the knee in areas I figure there's a lot of scar tissue. I also drink lots of water, somewhere I read you need lots of water to help carry away the scare tissue when it breaks down. Not sure if any of this will help you, but you never know. Going down stairs was hard for me, when I got to 110 ROM it got easier. I have a hot water exercise I do, I hang the non operative foot over the step and bend slightly at the knee on the operative. I can only do about 5-6 before it to much. but those quads take time. Sometime I so it with the cane and its less stress and i can do more.
 
Had PT today and he got it to 95 but it was pretty uncomfortable to say the least..he had me press a softball on the spot where I have the sharp pain on the lateral part of the knee and then release, then repeat. He said it was to work on desensitizing the nerves..it seemed to help a little bit but the pain never went away and the bend never got past 95. I was able to do much better on the bike though today so that was reassuring! I have a real busy schedule from now until Monday so I will be getting in plenty of exercise before my appt with OS on Tuesday. I will have 2 more PT sessions before then also and then only 1 after and that will be my last. I am ready to get on with my life and hopefully prepare my other leg for this journey!
 
Well done lass its often hard to keep going you have some determination. Other knee is going to be a doddle

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Your on the move, good job. Now remember progress is good, no matter how much.
I have a new at work stretch exercise, discovered it by accident.
1. Sit in a chair with wheels and position so knees are at 90 deg.
2. Slowly roll forward while holding the operative knee in place on the floor, don't move that foot.
3. When you get resistance or at the stretch level you want, from the resulting bend and it bends under the chair, hold for a 5 count and release.
4. repeat to your hearts content.

A modification of this is to hold for longer and massage tight spot until it relaxes
 
Had appointment with OS today...he examined the knee and kept pressing on the lateral part of the knee where j have the pain..he said he thought he had done some lateral release on the side but couldn't quite remember. Anyhow..said that the next step would to go in with a scope and clean out scar tissue but won't do that until 5 months. Sent me home with Lidocaine patches and said see you in 2 months
Also told me to use the cane again until I can get my gait right, he said that is what is causing the ankle/foot pain..PT is done Thursday..I'm not sure how I feel right now.
 
I can understand your ambivalence.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
Your OS CANT REMEMBER? Don't they have a surgery file to help him know what he did? I'm so sorry you don't have the answers you were looking forward to.


Brenda
 
Thanks Brenda..I looked at my surgerical report and it does state "a limited release was made of the soft tissue off of the proximal medial tibia in order to gain exposure". I'm assuming that is what he is talking about..he sees soo many patients every day that I don't think he can keep all of us straight..it is a Naval Medical Center and I am used to this type of care . but the difference is I'm not n in the military any longer, I'm a civilian who was farmed out to the VA due to over crowding and long waits....
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Since I scaled back on PT with only tens machine, bike and stretching plus Epsom salt soaks my IT band is finally starting to cool down. I had my surgery at Walter Reed and my PT is old school, no pain no gain but the techs really listen. I totally understand where you are coming from with IT issues, been my nemesis for years. I'm out doing stuff but not as much as before. No matter what I wish you the best of luck with your recovery. Ps I miss California.
 
Had appointment with OS today...he examined the knee and kept pressing on the lateral part of the knee where j have the pain..he said he thought he had done some lateral release on the side but couldn't quite remember. Anyhow..said that the next step would to go in with a scope and clean out scar tissue but won't do that until 5 months. Sent me home with Lidocaine patches and said see you in 2 months
Also told me to use the cane again until I can get my gait right, he said that is what is causing the ankle/foot pain..PT is done Thursday..I'm not sure how I feel right now.

I still use sticks outside for walking my physio said the same is better to use them and get gait right it allows you to concentrate on walk not worry about someone knocking into you they see sticks and usually give you space.


20/01/2015
 
Last day of PT today..we just talked about Lidocaine patches, TENS machine and my gait..she tapes my foot because my ankle rolls in quite a bit when I walk and that is why the ankle hurts..she told me that one of the theory s of the Lidocaine and TENS machine is thst it helps direct the nerve process from the leg to the brain..the pain in having is in the exact location that I have had for over 25 years..there really shouldn't be pain there..so I am just going to keep up with my daily routines and add in the patches and TENS sessions and see how it goes...
 
All things take time I know not always easy but let those things do what they are intended to do

Legin THR Sep 14
 
[Bonesmart.org] RTKR Done!


Trying a little bit of everything to help Groot heal..13 weeks..signed up for my first 5k since my TKR and cannot wait..and yes I will be walking it..I have done many 5ks and a few 10ks and one 1/2 marathon,all with bad knees..but to be honest I had absolutely NO pain in my knees while I was running, all of the pain came after..it has to do with the ROM..running takes less ROM than walking,which is why I started running in the first place. It hurt to swim, ride a bike and walk but no pain while I ran..I was a very slow runner and did a run/walk method..I am going to miss running very much but I'm hoping I will be able to walk fast enough to get the same high...
 
Looking really good.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom