Guest viewing is limited

TKR RTKR Done Looking Forward to the Future

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a question. I notice a lot of people for their meds are taking tylenol and other mild ones. I am still taking endone, panadine and oxycontin slow release only at night I am 8 weeks post op and have pain still at about a 3 and some nights a 4 I think.
Jamie is exactly correct---we are unique individuals, and our healing and recovery is unique only to us---if you compare yourself to anybody else, you are setting yourself up for frustration.

With your activity level and pain, you should not be comparing yourself to anyone.
:iagree:

Those zingers you feel are really common and it most likely is the nerves working on healing.
I called them "zingers", too---and they could really put a jolt into your leg and body! They will dissipate, though---good news!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
i just logged on while sitting on the train seen your post and it made me all emotional I'm trying not to cry.
Oh do cry. I'm a great believer in the healing power of tears. Did you know we are the only creature on this earth that is genetically programmed to release emotions by crying? That's right, we are programmed to do it and it's not good if we don't do it. I lecture my male patients at work about this routinely! So now I've lectured you about it too! :cry: :console2:

But I do agree with Chris and kneeper - get those orthotics checked out. They shouldn't be causing you pain like that.
 
  • Agree
Reactions: jul
@jul I read your post my heart breaks reading it. But what I see is you are strong like your Momma I can only imagine the pain you have. On the plus side you have three guardian angels looking over you. On the recovery side you are the best to know when ready to leave crutches behind, ext. Everyone heals differently. I will say a :angel:for you and like @Nana moon 27 said people on this site are caring and usually someone is on and will be happy to listen, So you take care and God Bless you. I also can relate to the the kidney stone and its worse than having a baby, You will heal but it takes time and a day at a time and remember all the good memories.
 
Hi @jul just remember never to compare yourself with anyone else's recovery. We are individual human beings with completely different pain threshold, bodies that heal very differently indeed. I've been off work since January because I've had a few problems with my knee. It's just been revised and already it is feeling better, well different. I am coping very well indeed compared to the previous surgery thank goodness.

As regards pain meds, you take what you need to get you through. I've been on morphine since last January.

I felt for you when I read about you had recently lost your mom and I'm sorry to hear about that. When you think about it you are coping with an awful lot. Your op was the third week of July. You've managed to return to work and that's just fantastic. You've achieved so much in a very short time of recovery. You have every right to cry when you need to, this will help you immensely. I always say to my grown up kids when they've been upset, "You can only cry for so long and then it stops"

If it's ok with you I would like to pop into your thread and see how you are doing. You are most welcome to visit my crazy thread which has morphed into a wonderful coffee stop. We talk recovery, lives, pain issues. Grandchildren, the price of trainers. All you have to do is clink on the link at the bottom of this post that starts with woohoo. You are most welcome to join in or simply ready the chatty posts. It's a good place for distraction.

I'm thinking of you Jul. You are a strong and brave girl xxxxx

Love Nana moon 27 xxxx
 
@Josephine Thanks you for that I also believe in crying when you need to as I have 3 boys all men now and I have always stressed to them that its ok to cry even though they are men.

The funny thing is I try not to in front of them for some funny reason I just can't I would rather be by myself and have a big cry. At all the funerals I held it all in and made sure i was in control and when i was alone i would just let go my sister (it is just myself and my sister in our family now) she just goes all out and sometimes I think its just for the attention but that is her.

The reason I tried not to cry on the train as i don't like people seeing me like that but I have to say all day I nearly cried it was just one of those days and I have staff members that are not real supportive and have made it very frustrating for me so a couple of times I headed of to the loo and had a little cry.

@Nana moon 27 Thanks you so much for your kind words my sons always say that they can't believe how strong i am but inside sometime I don't think so. I would live to drop by your thread and look forward to it.

You are most welcome to drop by anytime and look forward to you support.

@referee54 You are right its just hard sometimes when you see the way other people deal with things and how they handle it but I am slowly seeing that i need to stop as I will be having my right one done soon and it will be my recovery not anyone else's I have to remind myself that.

The Zingers are a funny thing.

@madinana Thank you for saying that I would love to think I am as strong as her but she was one of those people that you would never know if she was in pain.

Thanks for the kind words about my family I do think of them all the time.

You got that right the kidney stone was exactly like having a baby it was awful.

Julie
 
Today has been a beautiful day but I was just to tiered to go out an enjoy it that is the only down side of working all week and only having weekends as when they come you are to tired to enjoy them and a lot of the time you have to force yourself to go out and enjoy the day as you try to catch up on rest and let the knee have a break.
:umm::yawn:
 
Hi @jul

I would just have a chair in the garden, a cup of tea and a good book with some snacks in my bag or pocket. Let the world go on. It's nice to get off that treadmill sometimes xxx

Thank you for your lovely post

Love Ann xxx
 
Hello Julie @jul

It's Sunday evening here and probably early Monday morning in Melbourne.
Hope that you were able to get comfortable last night when sleeping.

At 8 weeks, my meds were reduced to 2 Solpadiene tablets up to 4 times per day. ( 500 mg Paracetamol and 8 mg Codiene). Would have liked stronger meds, but both my GP and OS wouldn't prescribe anything stronger.

Now at 12 weeks, only need to take 3 times a day and with icing at night, they pain is controllable.

Take care and do get your orthotics checked, I haven't put mine into my shoes post TKR yet.

Cathie
 
Thanks you for that I also believe in crying when you need to as I have 3 boys all men now and I have always stressed to them that its ok to cry even though they are men.
Well, good for you!
The funny thing is I try not to in front of them for some funny reason I just can't I would rather be by myself and have a big cry.
Oh I know just what you mean! Some years ago I lost a precious friend and was up almost all night supporting the family and taking the father to local office to register the death, etc. I then went to work and had a pretty busy day but it all got finished early so I sent nearly all the staff home and when there was just the small evening team left and occupied in the theatre, I shut myself in my office and let go! But my boss came in and though she knew about the death, absolutely raged at me for 'making a spectacle of myself' and I should be ashamed for being so weak, blah blah! Obviously she was not a crier and was embarrassed by people who did. Her loss! People can be so insensitive sometimes.
 
@Nana moon 27 Hi Ann

Thanks for dropping in you are so right that is what i should have done and what i need after such a week of 5.30 am to 6.00 pm then home do a few things and the same again the next day.

Julie
 
@marmora Hi Cathie how are you going and feeling now? I will see how I go stopping my endone during the day and just have panadine the same as your one you take.

At the moment i have been having a bit of pain during the night in my hip and knee it seems to be quite sore and its hard to ice as i can't strap it on and while laying in bed.

So i just battle through it but the lack of sleep is hard.

Julie
 
@Josephine How insensitive people can be what a nasty person and the fact of even really knowing all the details of why you might be so upset,
Thats is what a few people are like at my job all i get told is you will be right or my op was worse than yours.

I am on light duties as well at the moment and i have a man there that is so arrogant that he will watch me lift 10kg boxes and not even offer and the other day I hurt my knee so I put the box down and went o the toilet and cried.

Oh well you just have to keep on going.

Julie
 
Hi @jul

I've replied to you personally on my own thread because I didn't want to derail your thread xxxx

The arrogant thing that walks in the guise of a man disgusts me. How can he watch you lift those boxes? He's no man, he's a selfish maggot!!!!


Love Nana moon 27 xxx
 
Julie.....I know you are still having a difficult time with all of this. But I wanted to tell you how much wisdom and understanding of recovery you have gained since you first came on board here at BoneSmart. I am so proud of you. You are stronger mentally and physically and I am confident you will get through this....in spite of all the difficult people you must deal with and your challenging work schedule. Pat yourself on the back, my friend. You have come a long way! I look forward to the day when I read that you're feeling good and pain is no longer in your vocabulary. Hang in there!!!
 
Julie @jul

Hope that you had a better day at work today or you might be even tucked up into bed as I write this. :chillpill:

I've only had two Solpadeine/Panadiend during the day on Monday and then 2 ordinary Paracetemol at bedtime.

And this morning/Tuesday before going to the gym, took two Paracetamol. So far, so good. But, keeping my Solpadeine at hand, in case I will need them.

Going to the therapy pool in about 30 minutes and looking forward to relaxing and floating in the warm water.
Wish that you were able to join me :swim: it is very relaxing.

Take care and have so much admiration for you and what you are going through at work and getting to/from work, you are doing above and beyond what so many of us are doing.

Pat yourself on the back, :ok:

Cathie
 
Hi @jul Julie,
Wow what a tosser that guy is at work, very unaustralian!
I hope you had a better day today, I think how you are managing to work is inspirational
and I just wanted to send my best wishes to you x
Here's hoping for better days very soon. You are one strong women.
From Deb
 
Hi Everyone I dont seem to be sleepin real well as my knee aches a little or when I wake its sore from being in a position it didnt like also it was a little swollen. I have been walking up few stairs laterly to get to my car going up is tiring but ok but going down I cant quite do just yet could this be makng my knee not happy. I dont seem to be able to walk very far with out needing a rest but that could be me being a bit lazy.

I am 12 weeks now since my op and thought thgs would be easier but it still seems to be a little tiring and achy. I dont ice much no as its get a bit difficult trying to keep it on my knee at night and also wakes me up to change position.

My right knee seems to be a bit worse now making it hard to walk straight and its seems to hurt quite a bit and all of a sudden lock up on me so I still use one crutch which im finding a bit hard but it seems to help with the right knee

I shouldnt complain to much as it seem to be qute good just the nights are a struggle expecally getting up for work early I just want to make sure tha I am ready for my right knee but then I don think I am going to have a choice as its getting worse every day.

Julie
 
It's normal to have more pain at night and when sleeping. Are you taking something for it? If not, I suggest you do. It doesn't have to be prescription pain meds. A 1000mg dose of acetaminophen (Tylenol) at bedtime and another 4-6 hours later if you wake up should help. Just be sure you don't take more than 4000mg of acetaminophen in 24 hours.
 
Hello Julie @jul

I also find when waking my knee is very stiff and a bit achy from my sleeping position. The stiffness does work it's way out after getting up and moving around & a few stretches.

You have a long day, up early to travel to work. Then a long tiring day at work and then travel home and it's no wonder that you and your knee are tired and achy at the end of your very busy day.

As @Jamie suggests the Tylenol / paracetamol/ Panadol at bedtime and 4-6 hours may help with the night time pain & sleep. And should also help with the right knee pain.


Take care,
Cathie :flwrysmile:
 
@Jamie Thanks for your reply Jamie I do take panadine ( 500mg paracetamol & 10 mg of codine in 1 tab) and maybe 2 during the day if needed then 2 when i get home and 2 at night I also take a 1000mg naproxcin It helps a little but i still seem to wake from some sort of pain but as you say its all part of it so I hope it will get better.

@marmora Glad to know I'm not alone Its a little hard sometimes as some people around me are not very patient so I have to keep going as much as i can.

Julie
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom