Guest viewing is limited

TKR RTKR Done Looking Forward to the Future

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry to vent.
Do not apologize at all---that is what we are here for!

AS for your co-worker---there are boors everywhere---and there are also "know-it-alls", too---do not let her shake you.

My own recovery took me five months or so to lose a limp, and it was eight months before I would say that I was close to normal again---so I would say that you are doing great.

Keep on keepin' on---you are doing great, and you will be totally recovered before you know it!

It will be so very much worth it!
 
Julie @jul

You are stronger than you think you are.
You could knock out all those bullies with your remarkable courage and strength after your TKR!

Cathie
 
My father had a saying----"Illigitimi non carborundum es"

It means, "don't let those people wear you down..."

Be strong, and be firm in your resolve. You cannot hide class and strength---and you have both.
 
Hi Everyone I hope you are all doing well and great in your recovery. I haven't posted on here for quite a while as its been a bit difficult but I do often scan over as much a I can and check your recoveries and see how your doing.

I am doing good it's been around six months now I still can't go down stairs like I want to but my right knee is making it very difficult and also find it hard going up hills again. My right knee makes it hard it just has a mind of it's own. I get a bit of stiffness and it can hurt sometimes due to what I might have done at the time but its not like the arthritic pain and I can compare it with my right one and it's so much better than that one. It can get stiff still of a night and if I have laid in one position for a certain time.

I haven't been very good with my exercises. I have been very lazy and I know this could be part of why I have those minor issues above. I stop PT as I have said in the past at 5 weeks due to being back at work.

I find I get a little tired still but am able to walk a bit further than I used to before I have a rest but I feel the problem is mainly due to my right knee. I do get a sore back if I stand too long but again, I think it still due to only one TKR being done that makes it all out of whack.

I am due to have my RTK done in April due to my employee not giving me time of before that other wise I could have had it done in Feb. I am a little nervous as I read oher post but I know it has to be done and hoping this will help with some of the ailments I still have.

One other thing Im still trying to get right is my fallen arch in my left foot which i have to say is very painful I have got a new orthotic but it is giving me a bit of grief so i think i need to go back and get it looked at as this also is making my recovery harder.

All in all Im doing ok.

Julie
 
@referee54 Thanks so much for your kind word above I meant to reply at the time but was unable to.

It meant a lot to me at the time as I was have a lot of problems at work and things a even more difficult but have settled down a bit now.

Julie
 
@jul , hello! So it sounds like your LTKR is doing really well! Like you, I did my left knee first and soon my right knee will need to be replaced. I'm hoping to nurse it along for another year or so while the left knee continues to heal. If my right meniscus (what's left of it) tears again I'll probably have to act sooner. Take care.
 
Jul....how wonderful to hear from you! And it's especially nice to know that your new knee is doing better now. You're right....recovery can be sooooooo slow. But it sounds as though you are doing just fine, with the exception of the other knee that needs attention! I'm glad you're going to get it replaced here soon.

Don't feel bad about stopping your exercise program. With all the effort you must make to get back and forth from your job and then do your job while you're there, you get plenty of exercise. I think you'll find yourself in a completely different place this time next year once that second knee isn't giving you fits. It can even make the good knee hurt because the good one is working extra to compensate. You may even find that your foot problems improve...it can happen. So....look forward to the future and let us hear from you when you can. You are always part of the BoneSmart family.
 
Thanks for updating us. I agree about getting your orthotic rechecked so you can get that arch pain resolved.
 
@Jamie Thanksyou so much for yur kinds words I do hope that things will get even better once I have my right knee done. I worry a little as my Left knee can get to a point and not want bend any more but I dont push it but sometimes wonder if I will get better ROM as I have now I would love to be able to squat as I cant even remeber when I done that last but I do have to remember that my right one does restrict me doing that and also quite a few things I cat d because of the right knee.

It is alot better than the pain I was in before and also amazes me how quick the other knee can go down hill.

@kneeper I will I just have o find te tme after work to get it looked at.

@Clipless I cant waight anymore as I have back pain hip pain due to the uneven way I am walking. It makes it hard to vocas on te left one sometimes. I have read few things on here were peole have got thee second one and the seem to be surprised at the difference so Im a bit nervous and hope there isnt to much difference in the next one.

Julie
 
Hang in there!! It sounds like you are doing fine---and I also believe that things will certainly settle down once you get two knees in stereo.

Two functional knees with a correct gait and with no pain will do wonders for your back and the rest of your body.
 
Hi @jul

It's lovely to hear from you. I'm sorry to read you need another TKR. You will be fine. If you read @Ellejay's post she's had her second one done in December. She's doing amazingly well again xxx

I'm more than likely to have my second one done this year. It's gone x the same as you, I can't stand for very long, can't walk very far and get foot, knee, and back hip pain xxxx

So, good luck Julie

Love Ann xxx
 
Hi Everyone,

I haven't been on here for a while but I do snoop around as much as I can to read how people are doing.
My time has come for my RTKR Tuesday the & 7th of April.

It has been just over 8 months now since my last LTKR and seems to be going ok I don't have a clue what my ROM is as I haven't had it measure since I started work about 5 weeks later. My Surgeon did just look at it and said I was at about 115 and that was a few months ago.

I do hope it is more than that now.

I would like to ask a couple of question though.

1 - I still can't quite go down stairs and I am hoping that when my right is done it will be easier any thoughts on this.

2 - My left knee is still a little numb does this go away or will that stay like that from now on.

3 - It still can be a little stiff in the morning and during the night and sometimes if I lay a certain way it hurts a little to straighten it like its been that way for to long is this something that doesn't change.

4 - I can bend it to a certain point but it get quite uncomfortable to try to go to far does this mean that is what my limit in for my ROM or does it get better over time.

5 - I can't kneel on it very good or long as it feels very uncomfortable does this ever get better.

The best thing over all is the arthritic pain is gone and its funny how you can compare it with the one that hasn't been done yet. I can stand longer and walk longer than i could before but I really do have to work on my fitness.

I hope all is well with everyone else's recoveries.

Julie
 
- Going downstairs got easier for me, I can skip down now

- Stiffness continued to improve. I don't get any now

- bending stopped for me at 135. But I started doing stretches again a couple of months ago, and it's slowly improving.

- I still don't like kneeling, although again it continues to improve.

All round good news, I'd say.
 
Hi Julie! At 5 1/2 months out I have similar issues and concerns. Therefore I will follow your thread and the responses you receive. Everyone (as in EVERYONE) tells me to expect improvement for up to two years... except for my OS. He upset me recently by saying I might not achieve any more ROM, or at most only a few degrees more, no matter what I do. :skep:
 
1 - I still can't quite go down stairs and I am hoping that when my right is done it will be easier any thoughts on this.
Don't worry about it. Most likely it is your other knee holding things up but it really doesn't matter if your take a bit longer (or quite a bit longer) to do stairs 'normally'.
2 - My left knee is still a little numb does this go away or will that stay like that from now on.
You mean on the outside? I kept a log of my first knee for public consumption. In the end it took about 4 years to go away completely. Have a look Numb area after TKR: how long will it last?. My second knee had some nerve damage so I am expecting it will take a bit longer.
3 - It still can be a little stiff in the morning and during the night and sometimes if I lay a certain way it hurts a little to straighten it like its been that way for to long is this something that doesn't change.
That's a shame. Some people get that. Hopefully when you've had the other knee done it might just even out.
4 - I can bend it to a certain point but it get quite uncomfortable to try to go to far does this mean that is what my limit in for my ROM or does it get better over time.
Not necessarily but are you still doing exercises? If so, tell me what you are doing - in detail please!
5 - I can't kneel on it very good or long as it feels very uncomfortable does this ever get better.
I haven't been able to kneel on my right knee since the surgery. Don't think I even want to try now as I'm dubious about my ability to get back up again! But I know some other people have been able to kneel. @Jamie for one!
 
You'll have to decide for yourself whether the ability to kneel is something you want or not. I'm assuming you have no pain when you try and kneel on your new knee....right? If there was pain, then that's another matter entirely!

But the feeling of kneeling on an artificial knee is quite unique. It doesn't hurt really. It just feels....strangely uncomfortable for some reason. I believe most people can overcome these issues if you work at it, so here is what I recommend if you want to kneel at some point.

I suggest you wait until you have both knees fully recovered. There is absolutely no hurry to teach yourself to kneel. But it will help you to have some leg strength back and all the arthritic pain gone.

Then, start out kneeling for short periods on your bed for several weeks. Gradually increase the time kneeling on your bed to 15-30 minutes. Then graduate to something just a little less soft and do the same thing....like a foam piece or pillow on the floor or a heavily padded carpet floor. Once you've worked up to that 15-30 minutes, then try just a rug for a week or so.....then maybe kneeling in the grass (like you would do when gardening) or on wood or vinyl floors. Last effort would be to kneel on a hard surface such as concrete or tile.

Over time, I have experimented with all of these surfaces and found what suits me. I can kneel briefly on any surface to do a quick task like retrieving something from under furniture in the house or a car on the driveway. I can kneel on wood to do projects like drilling screws into a deck as long as I don't stay on my knees for long periods. For longer times I use a foam pad and it works fine. There is no pain ever, but I just don't like the feeling of "oddness." I can kneel for extended periods on a foam pad or soft carpet.

Recently I attempted an exercise at the gym with my trainer that required kneeling on a 4 inch foam pad. My hands were up on a weight bench and I was doing pushups. I did three sets of 10 pushups with a walk around the track in between each set. While it didn't hurt at the time, I did get some knee pain afterwards and realized it was the movement that was the problem. In doing the exercise, you actually grind your patella back and forth with the push up motion. I discussed that with my surgeon next time I saw him and he agreed that was not a good plan as the motion could result in premature wear on the patella button or other problems with the knee cap. So, I suggest you stay away from anything kneeling that involves that rolling motion over the kneecap that pushups give you.

So....basically, your kneeling future is your choice. Some folks opt never to do it. Others want and need to and they do find a way. If you decide to work on it, please let us know how things go.
 
I can't kneel on it very good or long as it feels very uncomfortable does this ever get better.
I was not allowed to kneel for six months.

I can kneel now, but it sure feels really weird, so I do not do it at all.
My left knee is still a little numb does this go away or will that stay like that from now on.
This took a while for me, but I had "zingers" as the nerves knitted together---it took months and months to lose the numbness, but, for the most part, the numbness went away.
 
Hi Guys

Just wanted to check in and let you know that I am on the other side of my RTKR which was done on the 7th of April. Well you are all correct in saying 2 knees are not the same. My LTKR I had a nerve block that wore of slowly an made it easier to ease into the pain and keep it under control as best I could.

I checked in at 12.00 lunch time and was done at 9.30pm which by then i was very agitated.

The RTKR had other idea's as soon as I woke for surgury it started to ache straight away I let them know and they gave me some phentalyn (not sure if correct spelling) which didn't help much. That night was focusing on trying to get it under control by who ever would listen which was not many.

The next day the physio came around and wanted me out of bed around 9.30am so I did as he requested also a little walk and bend. Well by lunch time the pain got worse and to try and get meds was like pulling teeth until I seen the doctor who said to give me Tarsion (slow release one at night and one in the morning) / endone 5mg 2 at this stage every 3 to 4 hours / tramadole 1 to 2 every 6 hours / panadole 1 or 2 every 4 to six hours.

I was given the first does which was Tarsion Tramadole endone which knock me about a little but seemed to break through that pain a bit then I had to keep asking for the others at there time they were due.

The physio came the next day made me walk down the hall do bending stretching leg lifts leg side lifts and all other excises this made it ache all that day no matter what meds I took. The physio insisted that i get to 90 rom before i can leave which she did try to get with a lot of force.

What I have found with this one is that my thigh is very sore and is ver restricting in what i can do its like its been corked but hurt 40 times more I was wondering if they can sprain your muscles or stretch them or tear them my calf is also feeling the same.

I had a home visit from the physio yesterday an she had me bending stretching walking which hurt quite bit but not that it made me cry or anything. By the afternoon my thigh was really sore and stiff and my calf was aching so much i just could get comfertable.

I am quite black and blue all up my whole leg not just the front or back its from my feet to the start of my upper leg.

Its also very tight and and swollen which is making it hard to bend and the physic wants me to have a rom of 90 when she visits next week.

Wel guys thats it for now I hope I have made sense and Im not sure if I spelt physio correct.

Any feed back would be greatly appreciated.

Julie

 
Hi @jul

Congratulations on having your RTKR. I'm sorry your physio really should not demand a rom of 90 for next week. Rom improves over time. You are only one week out!

I would be inclined to ask Josephine or one of the others for advice on this. I'm 6 months out of revision, my rom is 120! We can't compare we are all different but I think your physio is being way too pushy or has a target to achieve.

Once again brave lady, well done! I'm sure you will feel better once the bruising starts to go down x

Love Nana moon 27 x x x
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom