Guest viewing is limited

RTKR 4/4/17 pre-op prep

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, I think I agree with you all. Because it is a new program I think we will be pushed hard to prove the program... I am normally a pretty easy going person but if pushed when I am not feeling good may bring out my alter self... But I will try to keep an open mind and see what happens. The sooner I get home, the sooner I can do it MY way!
 
I must agree with you, LRKO, and the others. Although I've heard that some hospitals try to make those first few recovery days a more congenial social experience, I cannot imagine it being good for most people. With my first knee I had visitors I didn't care to see and barely remember. I didn't eat much because I wasn't hungry. I hurt and only did minimal therapy once a day. By day three I just wanted to get home to heal. After that experience with my second knee, I basically hibernated for those 3 hospital days. Not much food. No visitors or phone calls. Mostly you're sleeping anyway with maybe a few trips to the bathroom and back.

Please don't let these folks push you into their viewpoint of recovery. If you don't want to participate in the social affair, advise your surgeon ahead of time that this is not for you and you want an alternative plan....or no plan. You can say it nicely....like, you'll do what you feel up to, but request that he make it plain to the hospital staff that you are in charge of what you agree or don't agree to do.

I agree that they will all be aflutter and pushing maximum participation at the beginning because it's a shiny new toy and they'll want to demonstrate how well it works. Be prepared up front!!
 
Sheesh, I have a ton of friends and if I wanted to socialize, I would invite them. I was only in the hospital one day, but I did not feel like chatting with anyone. I think I was asleep most of the time!! You are right though, it is a relief to get home and be in charge of your knee.

I hardly ever ate while in the hospital, so it is just silly to think that a bunch of folks with new knees want to sit in a chair, with their leg down, chat with a total stranger and then get up and walk 250 feet!!! Really!!

I find if I am not angry, but firm, I mostly get my way. No, I don't feel like going down now---maybe later. Oh it sounds nice, but I am sleepy. Oh I am sure it is a good program, but I work as a ski instructor and it is a relief to be alone for a few minutes. Just be creative. No one can force you to do anything---you are paying the bills, so the customer is always right.
 
Thanks for all the support! Glad I am not the only one that thinks its crazy. Another read I saw would we would be up,showered,dressed in regular clothes in the recliner before breakfast. The recliners are the spring loaded, new and the foot pops up when the little built in small pull-out that you have to have some serious leg strength to push down. Unless I have help, no way would I be able to do it by myself. I am feeling like I will be a prisoner to their instructions! Lord give me strength!
 
There was an OT that came in with the nurses to help get out of bed and get dressed the first day (maybe other days but I don't remember). They also brought a bath in a bag (I had no showering until the staples came out) which was lovely, a bag of hot soapy water with washcloth and another with just hot water/ washcloth for rinsing. Standing to do this though was rough. I really prefered being in bed although there were a few times I got in a wheel chair and went out to the sunroom for a change of scenery also known as claustrophobia.
 
LOL! I hear you! They said the surgeon put an impervious dressing on that you can get wet so they will have us in a shower first day after surgery. I guess I can kick back and sleep in the recliner if so inclined!
 
Yes, I'm betting that's what you'll feel like doing. Many don't post here for a few days because they're busy sleeping!
 
most of the physicians no longer offer a 'pump' for pain medicine. They also no longer use the cryo cooler as they feel it 'ties you down' and they want you up and running day 1.
I was never tied to my Cryo as the bag unplugged from the bucket and I could walk around freely with it on my knee! And as for no PCA! Bet the surgeon who gets a TKR won't let that happen!
They encourage you to stay and have lunch with your fellow patients after therapy or during the day and encourage you to 'compete' with them.
This reminds me of a protocol I read from a US hospital where patients would all be taken to the lounge in their recliners for aggressive therapy and the only reasons allowed for not participating would be a pain score of 9+ and/or post-op vomiting! I still have the letter I drafted to the nurse in charge of that facility giving her a piece of my mind about that but I never did send it! I feel sorry for her patients, though.
I'm sorry, but I just don't think I am going to feel like socializing right after surgery!
Nor will you. I would invoke my right to decline as described here Saying no to therapy - am I allowed to?

They cannot coerce you to do what you don't want to, no matter what it is. "A competent patient has the right to refuse treatment and their refusal must be respected, even if it will result in their death."
 
Thanks Josephine! Reinforced my thoughts on the matter. I think this hospital has picked up that protocol!
 
Huh. I think I'm heading into this protocol. I'm outpatient and they're talking about having me up and walking within an hour. Scary. My class at the surgery ctr is tomorrow. I have lots of questions.
 
Let me know Jennszoo! Be interested to see how they compare!
 
I did not have a pca with my second knee and I did fine. They gave me oral meds every 3 hours. I did have to ask for them but they wrote the next time I was allowed them on the white board so I'd signal the nurse a couple of minutes before the time, so there wouldn't be a time lag until they could get to me.
 
I was supposed to get up and walk the same day as surgery but I got to my room late and my spinal had not worn off enough so I had to wait until the next day.
While in the hospital I had no appetite at all and at times not very cheerful, more like a petulant child. I would not have made good company at all.
Best of luck with your upcoming surgery.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
According to the Supervisor of the wing, most of the physicians no longer offer a 'pump' for pain medicine. They also no longer use the cryo cooler as they feel it 'ties you down' and they want you up and running day 1.
A PCA (patient controlled analgesia) pump is no bar to mobility. I had one for each of my knee replacements. It is easy to disconnect you from the IV line. They put a plug into the line where ii is attached to you and you are free to walk. It's best if you top up with a dose of pain medication before you're disconnected. Alternatively, if your IV is on a free-standing drip stand, you can walk, with the stand being pushed beside you. Hundreds of patients receiving IVs are ambulatory.

Similarly, it's only a moment's work to disconnect you from the cryo cuff.

I'm all in favour of anything that slows down over-zealous PT in the first few days!
 
I agree with you both! I think because it is a new program they will push, push, push....A week from tomorrow i will find out.... :bolt:
 
@LRKO - I have removed your user name from your thread title. It was confusing, because it looked like an abbreviation for a procedure you had done.
When you're had your knee replacement, it will be fine if you want to give your recovery thread a title that includes your user name, such as "LRKO's Revovery Thread."
 
I think because it is a new program they will push, push, push....A week from tomorrow i will find out....
Be prepared. Say right from the start that you will not participate in anything that is painful or seems to you to be excessive for your knee. Remember that you have the absolute right to do that.
Be prepared to ignore threats of dire consequences - you know they aren't true.
 
I didn't have a PCA pump for either of my surgeries. I was given oral medication with both. There was IV medication that I could have but I was never given any after the first few hours. I was given 10 my hydrocodone every 6 hours at first but I asked that they change it to every 4. With my first surgery I was up on the second day and gave myself a shower. I didn't wait for the nurses or aids. I'm a bit stubborn like that.
 
After the first 24-48 hours oxycodone took care of my pain. In those first 24-48 hours I needed an IV push of Toradol to get over the hump, but after that the oxycodone did the job. It did make me sleepy and loopy, but honestly the first few weeks I was fine to sleep the days away.
 
I agree with everyone. I even sent my family away when I was in the hospital. I just wanted to have solitude. I know they meant well, but I just wanted to be by myself.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom