Guest viewing is limited

RTKR 4/4/17 pre-op prep

Status
Not open for further replies.
We received a big folder of paperwork and had to attend a pre-op class. It was irritating how many people who attended the class hadn't filled out any of the paperwork or read any of the information. We spent most of our time listening to them ask really dumb questions about things which had just been discussed. (They were too busy gabbing and drinking coffee to pay attention to the nurse or physical therapist. :tantrum:)

At our hospital, if you get to your room from recovery before 3 p.m., the p.t. gets you up that afternoon and walking. If not, then they come first thing the next morning. Regardless of what I read here and was told in the class, it was shocking I was actually able to do it! They had me walking down the hallways and up and down 4 steps before being released. When I got home, went upstairs and didn't have any problems getting to the bathroom which is about 35 feet from the bedroom. It was slow but still amazing that it was do-able. You're not going to feel like going out and dancing - icing, elevating and letting your leg heal will be the only things you should be doing for the first few weeks - but you might be surprised at what you'll be able to do. That first shower is heaven!
 
I had a class which I didn't attend and the OS office called with my pre-op instructions.
 
Thanks, I will check with them...I am 1.5 hrs away from the hospital but going for my MRI tomorrow so may drop by to see what they can offer...although I have probably already had better info on this forum! :snork:
 
Bless you for remembering RMasano! It went fine although I ended being a bit late for it! We do not live in the big city so not familiar with the area really. Found the Imaging center with the correct name, which was super busy, signed in and sat down...waited approx 30 min and when they called me up, asked what I was having done. I said MRI and their mouths dropped open and they started apologizing up the ying yang; they rushed me down to where I was supposed to be and kept saying how sorry they didn't catch it before I signed it...it was my fault so I wasn't upset...everything else went smooth as a whistle!! Thanks for asking!
 
I'm glad the MRI was completed. One more thing to check off on your list. I'm late to the recliner issue but I bought a recliner before my first surgery. It has a motor that just raises my legs and will also stick go flat. I put three staggered pillows under my entire leg so toes were above my nose. Packed myself in ice, pulled a blanket over me and fell asleep.
 
Yeah, I'm supposed to have a class at the surgery ctr, a pre-Hab appt with PT and an appt with the PA. As well as my physical, which I'm waiting at now. Otherwise, only the PA appt has Been scheduled.
 
Although I don't have an electric recliner (but wished I did!) I will prepare mine with pillows and a blanket nearby! Thanks for the hints!
JennsZoo I don't think they have said there would be a class for me...but do know I will need MD H&P and hospital pre-op. You won't be far behind me!
 
I also suggest a power strip nearby to plug in your phone, computer or tablet, ice machine if you decide to get one and a lamp. The other item I love having is a grabber to pick up anything I dropped on the floor. I always seemed to drop my phone or tv remote just when I got settled. I love that thing!
 
I will have to get a grabber! I have everything else! Thank you! I was looking for the medication schedule I saw somewhere on the forum...anyone happen to have it bookmarked?
 
Your surgeon will give you medications with how many to take and how often. That can very person to person. There is a medication table suggested for tramadol but that med is often used as the heavy duty meds are no longer needed.
 
Piling on, my favorite tool was the leg lifter. I wasn't able to lift my leg for about two weeks and the leg lifter gave me some independence. I was able to lift my leg onto the bed, the ottoman and back down as well with no help. No one else was lifting my leg as I was afraid it would drop! They sort of look like a dog leash with a loop on both ends.
 
I don't think you need to buy a special leg lifter. I used an old dog's leash. I've heard of people using belts or scarves, too.
 
Need to add that to my drawer of goodies next to my recliner...thanks!
 
Well shucks....looks like it is mandatory to take the pre-op class. Don't really mind but my dental appt is the same day...waiting on the class time next Monday before deciding if I need to cancel dental cleaning....not too hard to give up!
 
I bought a leg lifter too but usually ended up using a very thin, old cotton blanket. It's sort of like Linus's blanket...useful for many things. Put it over me when I wanted to snooze but didn't want a comforter, put it around my shoulders when sitting up in bed, etc. but the best use was as a leg lifter because it was just easier to use.

Something else which has probably been mentioned elsewhere and may be TMI but initially, getting to the bathroom in a timely manner can be challenging - especially the first few days when you feel like you're dragging a log around or in the middle of the night. It's not a problem getting to the bathroom but it can be a slow process. It's not a bad idea to have some supplies on hand in case it's an occasional problem.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Well we had our class today and it was nice meeting the staff and other patients. I must say I am a little nervous of possibly being pushed too quickly. It seems this class is a new program they are implementing for their new orthopedic surgical wing. It will open on April 3rd and my surgery is April 4th so I will be one of the firsts to be in the new wing.

According to the Supervisor of the wing, most of the physicians no longer offer a 'pump' for pain medicine. They also no longer use the cryo cooler as they feel it 'ties you down' and they want you up and running day 1.

They said we will have 2 group sessions per day and they want you to walk to the session, and walk 250+ feet before letting you go home. They encourage you to stay and have lunch with your fellow patients after therapy or during the day and encourage you to 'compete' with them.

I'm sorry, but I just don't think I am going to feel like socializing right after surgery! I hope I am wrong but I fear I won't be up to it.

I understand they want to make everything 'positive' but they seemed to think we would be with very little pain, and hunky dory running up and down the halls visiting with everyone!

I certainly hope they are correct but I must say it is making me a bit nervous....
 
Eating with other patients? I didn't eat the first few days at all, if I did I don't remember what I ate besides a few crackers with my meds. Seriously, I remember a few things about my hospital stay, socializing even with my visiting family isn't on the list. But I'm sure that's not everyone's experience. Competing? Just remember every knee is different.
I didn't have a pain pump, but did need an IV push of Toradol to get me over the Day 1 hump. If the therapy room isn't too far away you may be just fine walking.
 
I don't think I'd be participating in that regime. In fact, I would be most impolite if anyone tried to force it on me.
 
I relished my three days of solitude after both my TKRs. I would not be fond of this idea.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom