RTKR 4/4/17 pre-op prep

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am so glad I am on the same page as everyone else as far as socializing while in the hospital. I will talk to my doctor on Wed about pain meds and what he plans to order.
I have been cooking and freezing so about set up. I will pull it all together this weekend and make sure we are set up for the return home! Hubby is staying in hotel so it needs to be ready! We live about 1.5 hrs away...count down is on!
 
My husband is a very nice man and rarely has anything negative to say about anything. When I asked him if he thought I would have been ready to socialize and eat lunch with other patients after surgery, he looked at me like I'd completely lost my mind. Then he started laughing and reminded me I hated "lunch with the girls" under normal circumstances, he couldn't imagine it under those. It might be good for some people but it's hard to imagine the staff and hospital necessarily want patients to be comparing notes and surgeons! Knee replacement recovery isn't the Kentucky Derby either; no competition necessary......sheesh.
 
I totally agree Laurenkate! I have a feeling I will be writing a letter after the surgery...but I will do my best to play the game....up to a point! Then the good foot will fall!!! :heehee:
 
As long as you only do what feels right for you and stick up for yourself you will have no problems. 24 hours after my revision the PT threatened me with a MUA. I couldn't help myself but I just laughed out loud to this ridiculous person.

The commercial for knee replacements at the hospital where I used to work was advertising the same thing that your hospital is trying to use. They showed women with make up smiling and 'sharing a few laughs' with other patients. That was there words. Needless to say those ads all disappeared after a few weeks as well as that plan at the hospital.
 
LOL...it will probably disappear from this one as well...it may just take a while!

Due to my user name looking like an abbreviation for a procedure, we have changed it...but I promise, I am the same person! :rotfl:
 
I took my make up bag but never opened it in the hospital, I did use mascara once in rehab. When I went back to the rehab to visit and deliver gifts I was of course, in full make up and dressed nicely. Even though I had been there 14 days total the nurses/aides didn't recognize me and were very complimentary when I told them who I was.
 
LOL...isn't it funny when you get someone out of their/your environment, you don't recognize them! That was very kind and thoughtful of you! I will have to remember to do that....if they deserve it! :yes:
 
They were wonderful nurses, aides and PTs who cared for me after the TKR and when I was an emotional wreck from the infection/surgery. I will be forever thankful to them.
 
Since I have worked as a nurse i know what means the most to them. I have my daughter bring some donuts in the morning and an edible arrangement later in the day. When my mom was in the hospital we also had pizzas delivered.
 
Marian, I took chocolates from my favorite chocolatier to each desk and the PT/OT room.
 
The hard part is hitting all the shifts and the 'special' people you want to recognize!
 
I just went in the middle of the afternoon with a few big boxes of chocolates and cards, so if I didn't see everyone at least they saw the card. As I was leaving that day my favorite aide came running down the hall to give me a hug. She was wonderful and helped me so much. I actually had a friend bring her something while I was in the rehab the second time.
 
Had my pre-op with surgeon today. We have tentatively set May 22nd for second knee! Surprisingly no prescription given ahead of time for surgery pain. He said he may give a little IV Med for break through pain while in the hospital but mostly just oral meds. He anticipates I will only be there one night!
I will be having my left knee MRI on Monday before my right knee surgery on Tuesday...it is coming up quick!
 
You're getting there! I'm not too long after you on the 17th. Do you have your 'nest' set up?
 
Yes, my nest is growing! I am running out of room for what I might anticipate needing! Starting my 5 day Hibiclens wash tonight and will pull everything together this weekend!
 
@LindaO Socialize after a TKR? You've got to be kidding me!!!!!:sigh: I didn't even want my hubby there. Just give me my meds and let me sleep.:sleep: I was more than happy to get out of the hospital the next morning and be in control of my person and pain meds. Rest, elevate, ice,:ice: bathroom, water, pain meds and grahm crackers for the first week! Let me know how this new plan goes. I wonder if any patients were on their planning committee! What will they think up next?:shrug:
 
LOL! I know, right? I will let you all know in a few days how it goes!
 
@LindaO, Best of luck on the 4th. I will be thinking about you.
Debby


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Thank you @debbyS! I am going to create my post-op thread so I will be ready!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom