Guest viewing is limited

THR Roxi rocking on

Not sure what you have, I had clear tape that covered the incision. I hated it and it itched and gave me a rash. I showered every day from the first day home doing all I could to get the tape to come off and it never did. I tried pulling it off and it wouldn't come off. The nurse removed it and it came right off. All she did was get and edge and rolled it and it came right off. The second one my wife had seen what the nurse did, and she removed it for me by rolling it.
 
It is so hard. My PT looked at them yesterday and said 'man, they are stuck on there aren't they'. Sigh. One more fell off on its own in the shower so that is 12 left. And you are right, at this point I just have to wait since I can't peel anymore. I did get the go ahead to use anti itch cream away from the incision, so that is helping, but it is still angry looking.
 
Not sure what you have, I had clear tape that covered the incision. I hated it and it itched and gave me a rash. I showered every day from the first day home doing all I could to get the tape to come off and it never did. I tried pulling it off and it wouldn't come off. The nurse removed it and it came right off. All she did was get and edge and rolled it and it came right off. The second one my wife had seen what the nurse did, and she removed it for me by rolling it.
I did try rolling as well in the shower. On some it worked, but most it only rolled so far.
 
5 weeks out. Finally got the last steri strip off yesterday. Skin still super dry and itchy, but not 'making you cry' itchy, if that makes sense. I am practicing my 50% weight bearing. It is so nice just being able to stand on both feet and not being a flamingo all the time. I am right now experiencing what I can only describe as a bit of tactile sensory overload. Incision is itchy for sure, but other stuff is super sensitive. Like, I can feel clothes brush against my skin. Even the lightest touch is very intense. Not sure if that is just nerves firing up again, but it is on my right side (non-op side) my shoulders, my stomach to some extent as well, so... hmm. No welts or rashes or anything. I guess just another 'recovery' thing that needs to be waited out.
My big question now is when to move from the walker to a crutch or cane. Might be easier to get around with a single crutch. Dunno. Should I keep the walker for another week while I am still at 50% and move to a crutch for the two weeks at 75% then a cane? Or should I crutch a bit now while inside the house and save the walker for going out?
 
Skin still super dry and itchy, but not 'making you cry' itchy, if that makes sense.
Incision is itchy for sure,

Sometimes the skin around your incision becomes dry and itchy while healing. Although it is okay to put lotion or cream on the surrounding skin if it is uncomfortable, you should not apply anything close to or on the stitches or incision without the approval of your surgeon. It normally takes four to six weeks for the incision to fully heal and close. You don't want to risk infection by applying a product near an open area before that time. Some of the more common creams and lotions used on a healed incision are Bio-Oil, Vitamin E Oil, E45 Cream, Palmer's Cocoa Butter Lotion with Vitamin E, and Coconut Oil.

The one exception to the guidance in regard to applying products topically over your incision is a product called ACTIVE AntiMicrobial Hydrogel Spray. This product contains hypochlorous (HOCL), a compound made naturally by your body to promote healing. It can be applied to your incision at any point during recovery - it's a germ fighter as well as a healing and moisturizing agent. Discuss its use with your surgeon before using it. You will find a link at the top right of the page in a sidebar ad you can click on.
My big question now is when to move from the walker to a crutch or cane. Might be easier to get around with a single crutch. Dunno. Should I keep the walker for another week while I am still at 50% and move to a crutch for the two weeks at 75% then a cane?
It looks like you're still in PT, consider discussing this with your PT since they're familiar with your progress. Especially if you feel confident in the PT and trust the advice you've received so far.
Happy Tuesday! I hope you have a good week, Roxi! :)
 
I have clearance from the doc to start using lotion on the incision since it is all closed up. Still trying to avoid directly on it, just to be safe, but I have put it on it once. I have been using either cicaplast b5 since it has vitamin e or just my regular lotion. Not too much, but I think it is helping.

Yeah, good call about the PT. I see them on Thursday and they are great. Patience is hard.
 
Second PT session today. I got to use the zero gravity treadmill, so that was super cool! I apparently walk like a pirate with a peg leg and so need to sort that out before I worry about stride length and equal footing. Still itchy everywhere, but PT lady suggested I use vaseline to be sure that all the surgical glue is off and then to keep using benadryl until the dermatitis is gone.
 
I apparently walk like a pirate with a peg leg and so need to sort that out
I did it this too during my THR recovery. My physical therapist called it the penguin waddle :happyfeet:.

What helped me was to focus on heel-toe walking. This involves striking the ground with your heel first, then rolling through your heel to your toe, and pushing out of the step with your toe. Here is a visual

1639236580030.jpeg


It's important to slow down and concentrate through the entire step.

It feels awkward at first, but with practice, becomes more natural. After a week or two, I noticed a difference. Give it a try.
 
It is about 11 pm. Surgery was at 2pm. Doing ok. Pain level about a three, which is good since I am allergic to most of the pain meds and right now living on gaba, Tylenol, and tramadol.
I couldn’t take opioids either and I did fine on Tylenol and Tramadol. I alternated them every couple of hours. I found Tylenol Arthritis was stronger than regular Tylenol and lasted longer too. Good luck. I can testify now that both TKRs were totally worth it !
 
I found Tylenol Arthritis was stronger than regular Tylenol and lasted longer too
Please be careful on the dosing with Tylenol Arthritis -- you should only take them every 8 hours because they are a higher strength/dose.

Extra Strength Tylenol tablets are 500 mg. The recommended dosage is 2 tablets (1000 mg) four times/day (every six hours) for a maximum daily dose of 4,000 mg. Since Tylenol Arthritis contains 625 mg/tablet, if you take two tables (1300 mg) you can only take them every 8 hours to stay below the 4000mg/day maximum dose.

Either way, what is key is to take them on a regular schedule so you maintain a therapeutic level of the drug in your blood stream. Also, be sure to check all other medications you are taking to ensure nothing else contains acetaminophen or you could end up exceeding the safe dosage.
 
I apparently walk like a pirate with a peg leg and so need to sort that out
I did it this too during my THR recovery. My physical therapist called it the penguin waddle :happyfeet:.

What helped me was to focus on heel-toe walking. This involves striking the ground with your heel first, then rolling through your heel to your toe, and pushing out of the step with your toe. Here is a visual

1639236580030.jpeg


It's important to slow down and concentrate through the entire step.

It feels awkward at first, but with practice, becomes more natural. After a week or two, I noticed a difference. Give it a try.

Slow and steady. It feels so awkward, but like you said, I will get used to it.
 
Here's what I did to learn how to walk again. I went to the Walmart, not a joke, and used a shopping cart as a walker. I could walk very slow and proper with good posture placing each step. When I got tired I could stop and lean on the cart in an aisle and look at merchandise.
 
Eman's Shopping Cart Therapy! I love it! :thumb:
Fantastic idea, but men may have more restraint when it comes to spending, than women?
A little retail therapy can't hurt though...right? :wink:
Have a good week, Roxi....and @Eman85
@Roxi
 
I think many of us have used Eman's shopping cart recovery/walking idea. I remember when I first started going to big box stores & grabbed the riding shopping cart & mentioned it in a post & Eman suggested the shopping cart for walking. Never looked back!
 
Here's what I did to learn how to walk again. I went to the Walmart, not a joke, and used a shopping cart as a walker. I could walk very slow and proper with good posture placing each step. When I got tired I could stop and lean on the cart in an aisle and look at merchandise.
Once I get to 75% weight bearing (two more days!) I might try that.
 
I didn't realize you were non-weight bearing still. I forgot my disclaimer, I accept no responsibility for how much you spend doing this. I'd say post-op spending is more of a problem sitting and either buying on HSN or Amazon.
One other thing is use the disinfectant wipes, stores are a great place to pick up colds and such.
 
Good tips! I am so close to full weight bearing. I go to 75% on wednesday. I am already moved from the walker to crutches which has been a huge step for me mentally.
 
Moving to 75% weight bearing today. So excited to hit this next milestone. I have my garmin watch back on so I can start slowly ramping up a walking routine. I have 10 min of PT that I am doing per day, which seems to be going well and not too much. I did 2 5 min walks yesterday and that seemed to be ok. No pain or soreness this morning. I will stick with that for the next day or so to just make sure I am not overdoing it as I add on weight and then I will start slowly ramping up. Two more weeks and I should be full weight bearing. Woot woot.
 
I LOVE the slow incremental approach you're taking to rehab. Congratulations on your 75% status! :happydance:
Moving to 75% weight bearing today. So excited to hit this next milestone. I have my garmin watch back on so I can start slowly ramping up a walking routine. I have 10 min of PT that I am doing per day, which seems to be going well and not too much. I did 2 5 min walks yesterday and that seemed to be ok. No pain or soreness this morning. I will stick with that for the next day or so to just make sure I am not overdoing it as I add on weight and then I will start slowly ramping up. Two more weeks and I should be full weight bearing. Woot woot.
 
I learned so much from this board that pushing yourself too quickly just ends up taking longer in the end. Be the tortoise, not the hare! It is clearly working since I have not had to take any pain meds for several weeks and only ice on occasion.
 
Back
Top Bottom