Guest viewing is limited

THR Roxi rocking on

I am really careful not to go past 90. I am actually not getting really close at all. I can do the slides, but it just makes me 'feel' my hip and muscles in a weird way.
 
I felt like a contortionists first time I cut my own toenails! Left side easy, right side twist & turn body in just right position to get clipper where I needed it.
We learn lots of new "moves" in recovery!
 
Just hit week 3. Things are going well. Sleeping on my non-op side super easy now and that is improving my sleep greatly. First part week back at work went well, so going to try to ramp up the hours this week. Today is hubby's last day off work, so we will get me setup well for food tomorrow when I am all on my own. I was cleared to drive yesterday, so today we are going to practice having me get in the car and put my walker in to see if I can even do it on my own. Swelling seems to be completely gone. I never had it too too bad to begin with and no real bruising either, but now I only ice if I have done a bunch of PT and moving, which is once a day at most.
Looking forward to next week when I have my checkup. Fingers crossed that they will let me start putting weight on my leg and start weaning off the walker.
 
:yes!: great update at three weeks!!!!
 
People rush to stop icing like it's shameful, if it feels good do it. Most of us get ahead of ourselves thinking that since the hard part of recovery is over it's all easy from here. That's when we get our introduction to ODIC.
 
Oh I am not in a rush to stop, just haven't felt the need to do it multiple times a day any more. Like it is just making me cold and not really providing any 'feel good' most of the time. I do for sure use it when I need it still.
 
Thanks for the update and best of luck for your follow up appointment next week.
Let us know how it goes, Roxi.
@Roxi
 
5 days until my follow up appointment, but I drove yesterday! Just to the bus to pickup my kid, but still. I was in the car. I think it took longer to get to the garage, walker in the car, and then me in the car, than it took to drive, but I still felt nice to be out of the house.
One big bummer is that even though I have that bit of my life back, I still can't walk around long distances due to the need for the walker and no weight bearing on the left. We are in the middle of house hunting right now, so my teenager is now the one looking with my husband at all the open houses and private showings. I will save my strength to do a check once we find one to put an offer on. (Extra bummer is that yesterday they found the like PERFECT house, but it is in a high risk flood zone and likely that takes it off the table. Sigh).
 
oh I hear your (sigh) - good luck with the search!
 
Ok, found two houses. My arms and back are sore and like jelly now! had to do a total of 3 flights of stairs plus all the 'walking' of the house. Still on the walker, still not weight bearing, so everything was just arms. Whew. I am on the couch and icing now. We are going to try to make an offer in the next few days, as long as the rest of the paperwork aligns, so I am glad I got to see it and cast the final vote.
 
Busy day! Lots of activity and I'm sure some excitement. Both can wear you out physically. I hope your offer is accepted if you decide to make one. Best Wishes on your search for a new home and your recovery!
@Roxi
 
Congrats on finding a house you like. That can be such a challenge in today's market.
I'm glad you got to see the house in person. We actually bought our current house almost entirely online and through video footage! We were in VA looking to move to NV, not exactly easy to just drive over. We got everything up to the signing papers point and then my husband flew out to make sure things were really what they looked like. It turned out great for us.

I hope your offer is accepted!
 
Oh that is awesome. Glad you found a gem.
And thanks. I am so nervous, but hopefully it will go smoothly.
 
Good news: We got the house!! So excited. Other good news is that I had my appointment. All is well. I am now 50% weight bearing for the next two weeks, 75% for the two weeks after that, then good to do full weight bearing as tolerated. Next appointment in 6 weeks. I am also starting PT today so that will be fun. I really have no idea how to 50% weight bear after a month of nothing. And standing up on both my feet is super weird since they lengthened my left leg. Baby steps.

Bad news: THESE STERI STRIPS ARE NOT COMING OFF AND THEY ITCH LIKE HELL. Only like 3 have come off and I have 14 still stuck on there. They are sticky like the dickens. The nurse yesterday was super surprised they were still on. The PA (when I emailed them monday) said I could start trying to take them off myself, but like I said, I have only managed to get 3 off, probably 5 are about 1/3 off (which we trimmed) but the other 9 are just smashed on there. I am starting to get a rash from the glue and it itches so much. It is making me crazy. I am going to try some lotion on the edges to see if that dislodges the glue, since the nurse yesterday said I was cleared to start massaging the areas that were not covered with lotion.
 
Congrats on the house, @Roxi. And on being permitted to partially weight bear again. Good news indeed!

Only like 3 have come off and I have 14 still stuck on there. They are sticky like the dickens.
Are you permitted to get the area wet? If so, I had a similar problem with mine and was advised to allow the water to run over them in the shower. For a few, I wet a facecloth and held it over the ends of the strips to encourage them to loosen.
 
Oh yes. The PA told me to take a shower and get them completely soaked and they should come right off. NOPE. I have done that twice and that just seemed to make the glue more stubborn. After I wrote that post I took matters into my own hands and just peeled up the sides and trimmed them. I left the bit that is directly over the incision. Hopefully that will speed things up.
 
I took matters into my own hands and just peeled up the sides and trimmed them. I left the bit that is directly over the incision.
I know it's annoying to have those bits still clinging a month after surgery, but you are wise to leave what's directly on the incision in place. If you yank them off, you could take some of that new scar tissue off. So really try to practice patience!
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom