THR Roxi rocking on

Can you create a wedge pillow for your recliner! Maybe taping a couple of pillows together. You may find you can get in and out then?
 
Well, I am sorry, Roxi. I hope the time flies until you can get cozy in your recliner again. It will feel like an old friend the first time you are comfortably able climb back into it.
I hope you get some sleep tonight. Best Wishes tomorrow!
@Roxi
 
Good idea, but I don't think so. This is my chair. Similar to an old-school Eames lounger, but more comfy. You kinda set it at the angle you like and it tips way back. Even if I released the angle, the seat part still tips back a bit and it is pretty low to the ground. It's ok. Just something to look forward to later.
Screenshot 2025-01-06 at 2.11.36 PM.png
 
Out of surgery and in my recovery room.
Good news: surgery went great and so far less pain than before. Haven't started the opioids yet. Mostly sore and swelling pain.
Bad news: I will have to be non weight bearing again. They were hoping that I wouldn't have to be, but I am so small framed that they want the implant to have a chance to fuse before I mess with it. I am in the smallest prosthetic and have small bones. At least this time I know what to expect, and I have all the gear, so it should still be easier.
Now of I could just sleep.
 
Also, since I had a reaction to the steri strips last time, I haven some sort of drain with an external port. Not sure what that is all about, so I will ask the PA in the morning when she comes. Still not needing any oxycontin, but it is early. Might start needing it later.
 
Wonderful to see you through the surgery :yay:. That's a lovely chair, hope you're back in it soon! Sorry to hear about the weight bearing but sounds like you are an expert so hopefully it won't feel such a challenge this time
 
Sounds like all went well, congrats on Hip #2.
As they say "stay ahead of the pain!"
Hopefully non weight bearing will help with your recovery. I was partial weight bearing for 4 weeks. It's a pain but it's doable.
All my best.
 
Wonderful to see you through the surgery :yay:. That's a lovely chair, hope you're back in it soon! Sorry to hear about the weight bearing but sounds like you are an expert so hopefully it won't feel such a challenge this time
Thanks! It is a great chair. I had been dreaming of an Eames chair for years and finally saved up for one. Then I went to the store to try them out and they were not comfortable. I am short and small so the back day all weird (even the small size). So I then went on a search and found this one.

I am hoping the walker will be easier this time. It stinks, but we have a new house with a better layout and I have my walker basket and hand pads. The real bummer is that I will miss the family trip to the snow next month. I thought if I was walking by then, I would just get three people surrounding me as I walked from the car to the cabin to prevent a fall. That will not be possible with the walker, so I will stay home..
 
Sounds like all went well, congrats on Hip #2.
As they say "stay ahead of the pain!"
Hopefully non weight bearing will help with your recovery. I was partial weight bearing for 4 weeks. It's a pain but it's doable.
All my best.
Great advice. The nurse said that I should keep watch and if the pain tamps up to three we start the heavier stuff. I am sitting at like a 2-2.5 and am taking short naps fine, but I am sure that will all change in a few hours when PT comes and makes me get up
 
but I am sure that will all change in a few hours when PT comes and makes me get up
Please don't allow them to push you. If anything hurts, STOP. They will go over navigating stairs and getting in and out of bed as you recall from your first THR.

You are only one day post op, so please keep this in mind -
It is not necessary to exercise your injured hip to promote healing. The controlled trauma sustained through THR will heal on its own. Often though, we're impatient and want to move the process along. In doing so we run the risk of struggling with pain and setbacks stalling the healing process. The best therapy for recovery is walking, but not to excess. Start slowly increasing time and distance incrementally in an effort not to overdo it. Give yourself the TLC you deserve and reap the benefits of a successful recovery.

Best wishes as you begin healing, Roxi! :wave:
 
Just my experience, take the pain meds BEFORE the PT takes you for a walk. I didn't as I felt good, not so good after the walk and it took quite a while for the pain to subside.
 
Just my experience, take the pain meds BEFORE the PT takes you for a walk. I didn't as I felt good, not so good after the walk and it took quite a while for the pain to subside.
Normally, especially once folks are home and going to outpatient PT, our advice is the opposite: save the pain med for after PT so you don't inadvertently do to much or let PT hurt you.
But, yeah, in my experience with surgeries, on post op days 1 and 2, take the pain med first!
 
but I am sure that will all change in a few hours when PT comes and makes me get up
Please don't allow them to push you. If anything hurts, STOP. They will go over navigating stairs and getting in and out of bed as you recall from your first THR.

You are only one day post op, so please keep this in mind -
It is not necessary to exercise your injured hip to promote healing. The controlled trauma sustained through THR will heal on its own. Often though, we're impatient and want to move the process along. In doing so we run the risk of struggling with pain and setbacks stalling the healing process. The best therapy for recovery is walking, but not to excess. Start slowly increasing time and distance incrementally in an effort not to overdo it. Give yourself the TLC you deserve and reap the benefits of a successful recovery.

Best wishes as you begin healing, Roxi! :wave:
No worries. They said that for the first two weeks I should just do ankle pumps and circles and get up to go use the bathroom. No exercises until then.
 
Going well so far. Pain level much less than last time. Using the restroom much easier than last time. No incision pain either at this point. They couldn't go through the old scar this time, so that might be the difference.
I still have the medicine shakes, and some settling, but with elevation and ice not so bad.
 
Anyone have any experience with having a metal collar? I forgot to ask this earlier, but the reason I am no weight bearing again is that my bones are small and even with the smallest stem there was a small crack that formed when they put it in. I have two metal collars around my bone just to hold everything in place now and no weight bearing so that it has a chance to heal. They said that everything should be fine long term, but just wondered if anyone else had this experience.
 
Cerclage wires, Roxi? Many have had them. Here is a SEARCH on the topic -

Cerclage Wires - commonly used in orthopedic trauma surgery to stabilize broken bones, or repair bone deformities. Cerglage wires are thin, flexible, stainless steel or titanium wires that are wrapped around bone to hold it together while healing.
@Roxi
 
Back
Top Bottom