Guest viewing is limited

TKR Round Two

Does anyone have trouble going down stairs at 8 months out? I am kind of worried about it, because I am getting my other knee done on Tuesday and I have stairs at home.
 
I still had trouble going downstairs at 8 months. Somehow it all eventually works out.

@MARYCOOL I moved your question above to your own thread, so you’d have a record of it, and any discussion following it, here.
 
I was a bit worried about this, too. Before my second TKR, I tried to go down with my right knee (TKR in May) like I would need to after left TKR as much as possible as practice. It was kind of difficult to do the whole flight of stairs, but I could do it. Somehow it is easier to do now that the LTKR is done. I think all of the drugs and rest/elevating is actually helping my right knee so thing are feeling even better on my right knee than they were before the LTKR surgery. This has been good news, since I was worried about the increased strain on my right knee having to do more "work" during the left knee recovery. I hope it is the same way for you!
 
That's great news @MARYCOOL. You know what to do next! We're here for you.
 
We made it home, I was so nauseated from the Norco that I threw up on the way home ! I think 2 5mg tabs every 4 hours was too much!
The knee feels okay. I know there will be challenges down the road, but after having my other replaced, I feel like I have a good start on this new baby knee. I named her baby shelly
Thanks for all of the well wishes, you guys are awesome!
 
You've got this! I hope you can get the nausea under control, that is not a fun feeling at all. Happy resting, elevating and icing!
 
Welcome to the other side! I hope things continue to go smoothly. Keep us updated on your progress. :flwrysmile:
 
Here’s a refresher for you:

I will leave you our Recovery Guidelines. Each article is short but very informative. Following these guidelines will help you have a less painful recovery.

Just keep in mind all people are different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for you.“ Your doctors, PTs and BoneSmart are available to help, but you are the final judge as to the recovery approach you choose.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest​
ice​
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
​
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​


4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
​

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website
​

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.
 
Thanks @Jockette and @SusieQ
I learned so much last knee from this forum. I have delayed my PT until Monday (surgery was Tuesday) because it's just too much! I am working on ice and elevation, exercises and walking briefly.
I am also still nauseated and I think I have narrowed it down to a very strong antibiotic, which I wasn't sent home with last time. It is 500 mg ultrcef a.m. then a probiotic at lunch, then another 500mg antibiotic at dinner.
I am eating toast..
 
Ugh, so sorry you are having nausea...... so thankful I didn't have any when so many people do! Hopefully you won't have to take the antibiotic for long. I remember two pills I had to take and that was it. Brace yourself for that nerve block wearing off and have your pain pill schedule going now!
 
Good luck @MARYCOOL , take the antinausea medication if you need it. Often saltines were all I needed to eat for antibiotic side affects, sometimes I needed prescription meds which worked really well.
 
I am also still nauseated

@MARYCOOL I struggled with nausea and had no appetite for the first week or so after surgery. I'm positive it was one of the meds, but don't know which one.

I tried to take all my meds with a few bites of food (usually crackers and applesauce). Ginger chews and ginger tea also helped settle my stomach.

Hang in there -- it will get better!
 
Were you given a prescription for anti-nausea meds when you were discharged? I was, we filled it but I never took any. If you weren't given any, ask your OS to write you one.
 
They did send one with my prescriptions. I am definitely taking it!
Doing my PT exercises today, I almost went around on the bike...by mistake. I was just trying to stretch it...icing now!!
 
First day of PT tomorrow! Wish me luck☺
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom