Guest viewing is limited

TKR Round Two

I had the start of shin splints and realized I was walking pulling my toes up. I stopped and so this the shin pain. I understood that shin splints are small tears in the muscle or tendon so it seems like massage is a bad idea. I had them bad in high school and it is agonizing. Anyone with better info?
 
An incorrect gait certainly will sometimes cause shin splints. I had them, too. Sometimes when I slip back into my bad walking habits they will come back.
 
No more shin splints...but thanks all!
My PT really worked on my scar yesterday "to flatten it out". So much pain today...
Last appointment tomorrow!
 
My PT really worked on my scar yesterday "to flatten it out". So much pain today...
There is no reason at all for your PT to have done this. The scar will flatten out all by itself. Now, you have all this pain because of what he did to you. I wouldn't go tomorrow. One day will not make you better but could make you worse.
 
I agree, no need to work on that scar, which is proven by the pain you now have. :hairpulling:

Cancelling tomorrow might be a good idea, but sometimes those last appointments are a final evaluation for paperwork. If you do go in tomorrow, don’t let them touch you.
 
Good morning!
I had my second covid injection yesterday.

This morning, I am having calf pain. Does anyone have any gentle stretches to share?
 
Hi!
I am now 8 weeks post op and am wondering if I can drive my stick shift?
I am doing pretty good, riding my bike 20 minutes a day.
Maybe I should just try it?
 
@MARYCOOL

You will notice that I merged your newest post with your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
Please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we will get it changed for you.

If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.

Many members bookmark their thread in their computer browser, so they can find it when they log on.
 
I have a manual (stick shift ) car and I was able to drive it from about 6 weeks post-op.
Before actually driving, I would sit in the car with the engine turned off and practice moving my feet from pedal to pedal, as well as imagining doing an emergency stop.

Then, I had a practice drive up and down my rather long driveway, before driving on the roads.

In order to drive safely, you need to be off all heavy-duty narcotics, be clear-headed, and absolutely sure you can do an emergency stop.

Some insurance companies want you to have permission from your surgeon to start driving again, so it's worth checking that out, too.
 
Hi Marycool, I am doing much better at 6 weeks and for sure the worst now is the outer calf muscles. On a one mile walk for sure at 3/4 miles that muscle is on fire. Just when you think one spot is better another pops up. Definitely a long process. In hind sight I am glad I did it.
 
I have a manual (stick shift ) car and I was able to drive it from about 6 weeks post-op.
Before actually driving, I would sit in the car with the engine turned off and practice moving my feet ...
I will try that tomorrow! Thanks!
 
I drove my stick shift car around the block and it was fine!
However, I found out what it feels like to over do it yesterday, also.
Preparing the house for company. Doing bedding, cleaning, etc. Knee is swollen this morning, so I have it on ice!
Just a bit more to do before Friday's guests arrive, so I am going to slow it down!
Peace ✌
 
I am now 10 weeks post op. I am trying my best to stay positive, but it seems everytime I try to add something, like house cleaning, walking, golf, my knee swells and hurts
I then stop everything; Ice and elevate, take tylenol and just sit.
I just want it to feel better! My ROM is great both ways, so there is that!
When did you start adding activities, and how did it feel?
 
I started back to bowling at 12 weeks, which was mid June.

But,

I only did one game and was shaky when I was done. Grand score was 70, but I did have one strike!

I couldn't handle my rolling tote, so I had to put my bowling ball in my husband‘s rolling tote with his.

I couldn’t tie my shoes yet, because I couldn’t bend enough, and I needed help just getting them on.

When I was sitting and waiting for my turn, I had to rest my leg on the rolling tote.

The next week I added a second game, but it was a bit much to bowl 2 games in a row, so the week after, I sat out the middle game, and bowled the first and third games. (We always bowl 3)

By early September I was back to 3 games when our league started back up, so I was almost 6 months post op by then. However, I wasn’t yet able to do my pre surgery approach to the line, so I just carried my ball to the line and threw it from there. I was just happy to be back with my friends!
 
MaryCool, I am just over 14 weeks post-op on my right knee and it still hurts on and off. It is improving but there are still those days... I think every person, every knee is different, and we just have to wait it out until healing is complete. Hard, I know, but discouragement makes it worse, so try to hang in there. You’re not alone!
 
Thanks Jockette and Sisterpat!
I think I am mostly missing being out on the course with my friends! Husband and I are going on Friday, and I will just chip and putt on a few holes, I am definitely learning my limits!
I find this forum really helps! Thanks again!
 
12 weeks post op!! I went and played golf this morning!! I actually used my driver on 3 holes! Easing into it, but it felt fine!
I am icing and elevated right now, just in case!
Happily progressing!
Off to RMNP tomorrow for a short hike!
 

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom