TKR ROM issues

You’re right about members being split on how they choose to recover.
Some follow their surgeons recommendations to a T, never veering. Others share that they really didn’t receive much instruction and make their own way.
There are those that try PT, love it and thrive, and those that try it, don’t feel they benefit, or feel pressured through pain, then opt out. It is personal choice. Let your body guide your decision. However, I think you’ve realized that you may not feel pain until the next day after a PT session. Try to learn from that and realize that PT shouldn't hurt. If you’re asked to do something that causes pain, simply say No. You have that right as it’s your body and only you will suffer the consequences of aggressive PT. I hope today is a good one! :)
@skiforever

@skiforever I am one that is following my OS as he did my hip replacement and was very pleased. I joined BoneSmart back with my THR back in 2017 and back here for my TKR. Well, my OS does not use the BoneSmart way at all, yet I take what is being said and weigh it in my own thoughts. My OS does not believe in icing or elevating. People here were surprised, as are most people that I tell it to. He does not prescribe in the notion that everyone needs PT. You are assessed at your 2 week post op appointment, which I had today. I am doing well and do not need formal PT. Just keep doing what I am doing, walking & stretching. Where I see some similarities with BoneSmart is that it is a gentle approach. Our bodies will help heal us on their own and the ROM will come. I enjoy going through this with others, so reading about peoples experiences. I know that this is a long haul but I take care of myself and have been building up my walking. However, it is a different approach as far as icing, elevating and perhaps PT, it is working for me. I try not to get in my head that I should do this or that, there is no timeline. Everyone here seems to be saying let your knee be the guide, be gentle, the healing will come. I honestly didn’t know that I wasn’t going to be icing, bought an ice machine and sent it back! I did keep the lounge doctor, even though I can’t use it now - nothing under my knee, only the foot and calf. It is very interesting how all the doctors think and the differences.

I quit PT. Now recovery is up to me, but maybe I will get some breaks from the pain. The second PT person was only interested in performance, regardless of pain. If only I could handle it, I could progress more quickly. On the other hand I hope to be able to do more fun things without the tear inducing pain. I want to stop crying.

I quit PT. Now recovery is up to me, but maybe I will get some breaks from the pain. The second PT person was only interested in performance, regardless of pain. If only I could handle it, I could progress more quickly. On the other hand I hope to be able to do more fun things without the tear inducing pain. I want to stop crying.
Good for you!!!!!
A reminder: you couldn't have been progressing more quickly, because the pain is the clear message the PT was actually setting you back!
I bet you'll be very pleased when you slow down and let the healing happen so that you CAN get on with the fun stuff!!!!

I want to stop crying.
Aww, don't cry. :console2:It is behind you now. I think you did the right thing in stepping away.
If only I could handle it, I could progress more quickly.
Not necessarily. Taking it slow and easing into doing your own thing will hopefully get you to where you want to be without suffering pain. Please be cautious to not overdo. Start slow / easy, see how you feel afterward and the next day and build from there.

Good luck!
Just take it steady and plan how you are going to get ready and travel- then try to enjoy yourself and ignore the knee.
I remember early on that even getting out of the house was a challenge. I went to a training day at about 6 weeks and although it was only 5 miles away and my husband drove and stayed with me ( he was doing the same mandatory training)-I was anxious.

Aww, wonderful news! Nothing like the company of friends to lift our mood.
I hope you have a wonderful breakfast and enjoy making new memories with those you love. Please let us know how it goes.
@skiforever

Question - If the leg hurts (my whole leg hurts lots this week, maybe due to PT) and you try to do mobility exercises but it hurts, do you keep pushing to try to find something that does not hurt or call it quits? I quit.

I did walk to my doc's office today, about 1 mile round trip, which did not feel good, even though it was fine earlier in my recovery. A body scan says I am half recovered from surgery, reasonably good news.

My knee does not seem to be tracking with the recovery of the rest of my body.

Hello skiforever,
Consider giving it all a rest for several days. Ice for the pain, engage in the activities of daily living and maybe take some short walks and let the inflammation settle down. If the one mile, round trip walk did not feel comfortable today, start over and only go for a 15 minute walk (total) and see how that goes. I fear you're going to continue landing in the ODIC (Over Did It Club) if you're unable to take it slower.

Wondering what you mean by a body scan? On average, TKR recovery takes one year, even longer for some, so I don't see how you can be halfway there at only two months post op...which isn't until next Tuesday. :shrug:

I hope you sleep well tonight and have a pleasant weekend. :)
@skiforever

If the leg hurts (my whole leg hurts lots this week, maybe due to PT) and you try to do mobility exercises but it hurts, do you keep pushing to try to find something that does not hurt or call it quits?
We always say that if it hurts at the time, later that day, or the next day, then it is not good for your knee and is setting you back in your recovery. Having gentle, non-aggressive movements are much better for a healing knee and allow you to proceed with your healing naturally.

Hopefully you’re taking it easy this weekend and you’ll feel the benefits of less activity this early on. But….not gonna hold my breath, only HOPE! :wink:
@skiforever

@Layla

I am not doing anything. I can't. My leg just hurts all the time and is worse if I do anything, even icing (very painful). I don't want to take medicine to mask the pain (except to sleep) because I think I need to be aware of what is happening.

Incidentally I am far less active than you may think. What is almost nothing to me may sound like a lot to another person. For reference, by this time for my first knee I was going downhill skiing with no pain at any time. For this knee - no way! Not even close.

by this time for my first knee I was going downhill skiing with no pain at any time. For this knee - no way! Not even close.
The difference is your arthritis had 3+ years to deteriorate your knee even more than your November TKR. This means your OS probably had to do a lot more work inside your knee during your recovery. No two knees recover the same way, even if done at the same time. Also, while your first TKR was recovering, your left knee had to do most of the work. This accelerated your damage, too.

Please don't be dishearted. With time and patience, your newborn knee will be fine. It's not even 2 months old yet and needs TLC!

I wish you weren't hurting, truly. I apologize if I misunderstood, but I did get the impression you were engaging in a lot of activity as well as aggressive PT and also exercising at home. You're right that what may seem like too much activity to many of us, is not a lot to you. However, you are healing from the controlled trauma of a major surgery and no matter how active you were before and want to be again, we can't rush the healing process.

Try to ice as much as possible and engage in only the activities of daily living and a very short walk when / if you're able. I don't think you need to start from the very beginning, but pretty close, until you stop hurting, then only slowly and gradually engage in some of the sporting activity again, but not all in the same day. I get the impression its very difficult for you to lay low. Until you're able to get the restorative rest you need to heal, I worry that you're only prolonging the process.
Now go take a nap! :wink:
Sending a hug with wishes for brighter days. :friends:
@skiforever

I walked a mile one day last week, to go to my doctor's office. That was the extent of my "sports" activity. I was able to do more in previous weeks, but PT broke me last week. I got one of those "only the numbers matter" therapists. She got better numbers which did not hurt the first time, but were not reproducible the next time, not even close. I have quit PT.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Raithtaxi
Recent bookmarks