Guest viewing is limited

TKR Roger got a new left knee

As I think about it, I have been doing it at home when my heel is stretched and not hurting too much. It does help with stretching the knee out some as well as working the quads.
 
That in itself speaks volumes about your recovery. You are making such great strides and it's very encouraging to read about your athletic feats. :thumb:
Feats?:blush: I'm just big guy that is "Gravitationally Enhanced", trying to get back to what I used to consider normal.:th_heehee: OK, I might be having a little fun along the way...:wink1:
 
Oh no. What have I gotten myself into? Riding my MTB bike tomorrow morning. All downhill. Taking my truck with a friend and our bikes up the local canyon. Then, after a 1.5 mile offroad ride, all downhill. Gravel at first. Steep, and switchbacks. Then pavement the rest of the way. Probably just 10 miles total, and about 4 more miles home. No cell coverage, so when my daughter leaves with the truck, well, I can't crash... I think I'm most concerned with the 1.5 mile offroad section. There will be a streambed to follow for a bit and I haven't ridden offroad in many years. Hope my bike skills aren't TOO rusty.

I can't find my 3MP digital camera, but my friend has a waterproof cam we're going to record this Epic ride. Yes, my friend who thought this was a good idea is one of the Epic Death March pair... Bike is lubed, gear set aside, Camelback is in the fridge...

Why did I agree to this? I think I need my head examined!
 
:what: You know, if your new knee agrees with the trip/adventure, then why not?

Just remember your knee is young but the rest not so much!:loll:
Have Fun! :yay:Hope you come back only with a sore bum and a few tired muscles!:wink1:
 
Creation, I'm not worried about the knee. I originally agreed to an easy ride and then the downhill on pavement. It grew out of proportion from there... Funny thing, not too many years ago I would have jumped at this and wanted to do it in the DARK! Or some such stupidity...

Sunflower... Thats ONE!

Didn't sleep well, I just KNOW I'm going to split something open. Yes, my fear of falling is front and center this morning.

I think I need to hang out with friends my age, not these early 30 somethings I've surrounded myself with. What night is Bingo night at the rest home...
 
Didn't sleep well, I just KNOW I'm going to split something open. Yes, my fear of falling is front and center this morning.

What night is Bingo night at the rest home...
:th_heehee:

What, you haven't perfected the endo? :biggrin:

Have you considered riding with a GPS tracking device such as Find Me Spot? I have one of these and I've set it to alert my hubby's cell phone every 10 minutes and it gives him the exact coordinates of where I am so that he can follow me in real time on Google Maps. It also will alert a central office to dispatch my local emergency/ search and rescue if I need it. Where I ride I rarely have cell coverage so I carry it for peace of mind.
 
Actually, my friend I'm riding with has the "Spot". He is into canyoneering and climbing and all sorts of mayhem out of cell range. But this is his first ride above 6000' in a couple years. We'll start at 7000', so I ought to be toast in very short order. I'm having my daughter stop and wait for us where the gravel road turns to pavement. If I'm still alive, she can go home without me. I may be crazy, but I ain't stupid... Gotta keep a safety net.

Off to my doom! See ya later!
 
Well, my friend and his wife are fighting. No Epic adventure today. Going for a ride anyway...
 
Spent about 90 minutes nice and easy. Yeah, I'm still slow getting up my hill. Still wonder why I just HAD to live at the top of the hill... Sure wish my county/city was more bike friendly so I could more readily feel comfortable on the highways. So my buddy hasn't been in touch to see if we'll ride later today. So I am getting my road bike off the trainer and will get it on the streets finally. Skinny tires for the fat guy? I know they'll be OK. They always held me up before.

It is really nice to believe I understand my fear of falling though. I reckon I'll just have to fall to get past it and see that I can bleed without showing off my "Terminator" knee... The only time I've ever been injured and seen my bone was a dog bite when I was 11. Overdue? Nah...

I'm giving some serious thought to a tadpole style trike. www.atomiczombie.com has plans available to build your own. I might just have to order some and see what it'll cost me to build one. I know I've seen a trike that could be configured as a single or a tandem. THAT would be cool and allow my wife to move faster than she can alone on her adult trike. Sure wish I knew someone with a trike so I could try it out...
 
It is really nice to believe I understand my fear of falling though. I reckon I'll just have to fall to get past it...

I practiced falling on the grass so that when I did a slo mo fall on my road bike (couldn't unclip fast enough), it was no big deal. I let the handlebars take the brunt and I squeezed my knees together so that the crank arm and pedals came into contact with the ground. If you can, make a conscious effort to NOT extend your arm out to break the fall. You'll be less likely to break your wrist or collarbone. Just tuck and roll.

Referee, I agree that some of the best rides are done solo.
 
Sunflower, I am not planning on clipless pedals anytime soon. Never had them before either. I even took the toeclips off the roadbike. Maybe I'll do some slow rolls and stuff in the park. Interesting idea. From my dirtbike days, try to keep your hands off the ground. Doesn't always work though!

Creation, unless you are heading out like my friend wanted to do, I think you'll be safe, but I agree, after being pain free for the most part, I really don't want more pain...
 
I love my clipless pedals---ithey help me get the whole leg involved in pedaling. I have Shimano PD-M540 SPD's. When I first went clipless, I rode around the hallways of the school during a spring break---nobody was there--I could lean against the walls and learn how to use the things. Then I went outside to the parking lot and took it very slooooowly!

For some reason, I do not fear falling; I guess I just don't think about it much.
 
When I first went clipless, I rode around the hallways of the school during a spring break---nobody was there--I could lean against the walls and learn how to use the things.
:th_heehee: Did you cycle around the gym too? :biggrin:

I used to use SPD's and then as my knee got worse and bowed more, I went to BMX pedals on all my bikes. Now I have no desire to go back to my Speedplay Frogs because I can reposition my feet on the pedals and give different muscle groups a rest on a long bike ride. I have some very light weight Tioga Spyders on my road bike and it's a conversation piece among the weight weenies. :snork:

I would prefer to spend time on my mountain bikes and when I fall it's a softer landing than the asphalt. :th_heehee: The trails nearby are not groomed so I'm waiting for the foliage to die back some before I venture out. In the meantime I have gravel roads for my adventures. :thumb:
 
Meh, who needs weight weenies? I broke lits of expensive light weight stuff when I was skinnier. After watching my buddy struggle and tumble a few times, not sure I want clipless pedals. OK, what with calling them clipless, when everyone "clips in"? I know, they don't have the toeclip cage... But there could have been a better name.

Oh to be as in shape and lighter as I was 20 years ago...
 
Ditto your last comment! I never really biked as a sport, but did cart around two of my kids on my bike quite often on rides of 50 Km or more....! (in the early 80's) What was I thinking? The other two kids followed on their BMX's. We competed with sidewalk traffic and tons of this (this was in Tokyo) as you are not allowed to ride on the road. Made for an interesting ride! Dodging ladies dressed in traditional kimono or haute couture etc.!!!! Have to find the pics I took.
 
Back
Top Bottom