Guest viewing is limited

TKR Roger got a new left knee

I'm just going to put this out here. I've had the picture of me jumping off the ATV on here for about a month. Taking suggestions for something to top it and replace it. Might have to wait for my time in the boot to pass though, and I won't do anything that I think will hurt me....
 
I don't normally make a big deal of my wife's med issues, but she is back in the hospital for pneumonia. 4th time in 8 months. Its more complicated than that as usual. My wife will get better again, and we'll be home next week. They may be onto something going on and are looking at things. But I bet she'll have pneumonia again in a couple months.

But the floor she is on also does ortho. So I had the chance to talk with a couple new knee folks yesterday. And the nurse this morning was telling me how their attitudes are improved today. Yes, I mentioned Bonesmart... But neither have computers at home. I hope I helped...
 
Well done! Always good to spread the word!

Hope your wife gets better soon.
 
So sorry to hear about your wife. I hope they can figure out what is causing the pneumonia to recur!

I'm proud of you for mentoring in the ortho ward!! You're a true BoneSmartie when you help others in this way!!! I know the folks REALLY appreciated it!!
 
Thanks. Its been a rough year for her health wise. 5 times in the hospital since last September, and 2 weeks in a rehab facility after the November/December issues. As I said its more complicated than just the pneumonia too. She has had a few good times where she has felt normal, but too few and too far between.
 
Sorry to read that life is challenging both of you in this manner. Hope they find why she is having these repetitive problems and can find a solution so she can heal for good.
Whishing the both of you lots of strenght!:friends:
 
I am very sorry to read of your wife's ongoing health issues. We will put her on the prayer list at church---I hope and pray that things settle down for you both!
 
Thanks all, She is doing better, and ought to be home Wednesday. Some things are being looked at to change and hope her med team is all on board...

I really had a good time talking with a couple new knee patients. I hope they appreciated it.
 
Hey Roger, hope your wife's medical issues are being addressed properly & that she is feeling contentment & comfort.

I'll bet the staff really enjoyed having a visitor with a positive spin on knee replacement. Big motivator for better results!
 
How is the heel treatment going? Has the pain reduced! Any hope there?
 
First, they decided to keep her another day, maybe two. Have to get the pulmonary stuff working before addressing other concerns.

Yes, it was good for the new knee folks, and I think it was good for me even.

I see my podiatrist Thursday. I really hate this boot. I'm having an issue with a muscle up the outside of the ankle right now, think one of those days I was rambunctious I might have strained myself a bit. The heel doesn'f hurt, but it's not real good either. I might need a new boot if I have to stay in it much longer!
 
Psst... I've got a secret...:secretaea: My PT is watching... Really. But he hasn't signed up yet. And his assistant, a wonderful young lady, has found us too... :secretaea:

GOT THE BOOT OFF!!!! My heel currently feels pretty good. I was beginning to feel some minor pains with the muscles over and around my knee not liking the change in motion. I wore the boot out on the front walking surface as well. Talked with the podiatrist about shoes, inserts, stretching and a whole raft of things. He thinks I'm a good candidate for the more minimalist type shoes I've been curious about trying for walking/running. I have good stretch in my achilles and calf muscles/tendons and such. He suggested some of those Skechers type shoes for keeping things stretched (Hmmm, might help me reshape my rear end too!!).

But not all is rosy, my wife is still in the hospital, and has had a second drainage tube put in. And the talk of surgery is back on the table. Her spirits are, well, not defeatist, but she isn't arguing or asking much. Which concerns me for a number of reasons. But, we'll see what needs to be done and move forward as best we can...
 
Good news at least for one thing (less to focus on and more time for you and your wife).
 
I'm back to thinking about shoes. For many many years I just bought cheap shoes, for the most part. Yes, I spent more on work related boots. I figured nothing was worse for my feet than the military boots I wore for 20 years. I may have been wrong.

Today I 'm going to REI and a couple other stores to look for something better. I want to try on some of the Vibram 5 Finger type shoes. And I want to try other really low flat type shoes.

It will be a good way to break up the day at the hospital. I got the boot off and the last thing I want to do is just sit still... Even got in early to catch the team of docs, and they still aren't here yet.
 
Thanks Darlene, and everyone for the thoughts and prayers. I guess last week I was a bit optimistic with her being home in a week... Her team has a couple people we've had since her first big stay last December. They are very frustrated with one of her doctors that isn't talking with them much.

Between my own problem with my heel (its a bit sore today, and frustrating in its own right), my wife in the hospital and not sure when this episode will pass, at work we are digging into one of the two times a year its nearly impossible to take time off through... I'm beat folks. But I have to keep plugging forward regardless.

So, I stopped and looked at shoes at a couple places yesterday. One place the salesman didn't know squat about my heel considerations, and pushed the more heavy expensive shoes that I'm sure weren't what I wanted. Pretty sure he just saw the heavy guy and didn't want to believe I want to run a bit. Going to visit a second store where the guy I need to see was off yesterday. (He has had various foot surgeries himself, including one to fix my very issue!) And in just a few minutes, before heading in to the hospital, I'm stopping at the new running store here in town. Looking for a trail/fitness shoe I can wear even on the treadmill. And I'm seriously going to consider some of those 5 finger type shoes. the lack of thick padding doesn't concern me, many years ago I did almost everything in Nike Aquasocks.

Really, I'm OK, but frustration is beginning to get the better of me at times.
 
I'm sorry to hear that your wife's progress has hit a wall of sorts. I hope her team can find a workable solution soon. Hospital visits can be tiring and I can imagine how tired you must be. Hopefully soon she will be discharged and you both can get back into your routine.

As for the minimalist running shoe....Merrell has released several barefoot shoes that might be of interest to you. I've heard that going barefoot has helped many people with their chronic foot/ankle problems. Perhaps it may be just the ticket to get you on your way to better foot health? Also, there are PTs that specialize in foot care and maybe doing therapy with one will be of great help to you.

I'd love to go barefooted but I'd have to tread carefully. (Used to do it all the time as a kid--gravel, hot asphalt, grass, you name it-- and I'd get stickers in my feet!) My dogs like to dip their paws in their water bucket to cool off and run through the house leaving wet tracks on the hard wood floors and tile. Even though I've put a towel down by their water bowls, I've fallen on their wet spots before. :DOH:
 
Thanks, we're on a path that might be getting someplace, but because it involves meds and other things, might take a while to manifest. Although, the more immediate pulmonary issues have been somewhat successful. Hoping surgery isn't needed though. Time and Patience, right? :wink1:

Locally, Merrel is sold through REI where I had the idiot trying to push the expensive heavy shoes. Not sure I'm going back there. If I do, I won't talk with him. I won't buy shoes online. I need to know they fit. And shoe fit doesn't seem to match brand to brand, and sometimes even model to model. I really like New Balance as a brand and never had a bad shoe. They have a running shoe in minimal style, but not something that I would like right now. I'm not sure I would like the toe things, but want to try some on. You might recall a couple months back I did look at running shoes. And I think more trail oriented shoes are in order.

As to the dogs and water on the floor... Yeah, my Mastiff is a very messy girl. I've slipped a few times but haven't fallen yet. Yet.
 
Back
Top Bottom