Guest viewing is limited

TKR Roger got a new left knee

I enjoyed the chance to ride around the Sasebo and Yokosuka areas. Ride in Tokyo? Not a chance!!!!

Well, saw the podiatrist. I have a bone spur under the Achilles Tendon that is inflaming its own tendon. I explained all that I've done, how last year I'd seen another podiatrist and been given a boot to wear at night and diclofenac (which worked very well, very quick), and how I can function most of the time if I can get it to stretch some, but sometimes nothing works to calm it down. And it really doesn't matter what shoes I'm wearing either. Since the boot at night didn't work this time, nor the Diclofenac on their own, he started me on an aggresive steroid regimen. 6 tablets this evening, 5 through the day tomorrow, 4, then 3, then 2, then 1. Its called a Medrol Dosepack. When I finish the steroids, then back to the Diclofenac. I am now wearing a stylish and oh so comfy walking boot. And wear the "Smurf Boot" at night. Basically immobilizing the ankle. For 2 weeks. Go back and re-evaluate. Doc said that even if this works or not, therapy may or not help. But there is likely surgery in my future since he could feel it pretty well. Fun times ahead...:skeptical:

But you know what? My knee doesn't hurt...:biggrin:
 
Ooooh Roger, :rolleyespink:That is no fun, no fun. :hairpulling:
I understand you real good, I have a similar problem for over 1.5 years. Not quite as bad as you yet! I thought that the knee (gait) was my problem, but the pain is back! Even with the surgery rest (the 1st 4 weeks)

Don't want to be alarmist but if you have the bone spur there, I would be worried that even if you get control of the actual inflammation with the regiment you will be ingesting, that it's a temporary situation, you may just be buying time. After awhile, once all the med is gone from your system, the bone spur is going to get the soft tissue to act up again..... :(:friends:

I went through in mind of all those scenarios, and since its my right foot, I plan on tackling the problem when I am very confident that my left knee can support me properly for a long time....For now the Doc said to stretch and warm up my foot and muscles before I get up everytime I rest for a bit too long and when I get up in the morning. Not easy to think about it when at 2 AM you get up to go to the washroom half awake and then you just stand and take a few steps , it is a very efficient eye opener!:th_heehee:

I am going to wish you good luck and keep us informed on how well it goes. :wink1:
 
Thanks for the link, none of the videos address my issue since its on the backside of the heel not under it. Basically, if I've have a busy day on my feet, Monday for instance, it gets stiff as all get out within 30 minutes of resting and getting back up. Some days were worse. No jumping off the ATV didn't start it, its been with me this time for a couple months.

I just KNEW when the pain went away last year so quick it wasn't permanently healed. So I wasn't real surprised it came back. I was surprised that the same treatment this year didn't phase it.

I just have to work the system. I'm certain therapy won't help, so surgery should be my next option. Two weeks, and I'll see the doc again and discuss this. Since I'll get the boot off just in time for a very busy 4 week period at work I hope to put off surgery till September. So the boot and steroids should buy me some time. I told the doc, pointing at my knee, I wasn't afraid of surgery if I need it.
 
OK, I don't think this boot is going to last 2 weeks. I already have some of the rubber on the bottom shredding. Maybe if I slowed down... I wonder if I dare go to the gym this evening with it on to lift some weights?
 
Euhmm, just read your tread on healing and slowing down .....2weeks and the boot is getting beated!:oopss:
 
Touche`... I don't always have to be the strongest guy doing the most. And, I'm not really going to the gym tonight. I've done plenty of lifting stuff the last couple days at work.

On the other hand, If my ankle is being held solid, I'm not aggravating anything. The boot isn't comfortable at all, I'm going to slip an insole from one of my sneakers in and see if that helps. I only tore up the very front edge of the rubber sole of the boot. It should be OK for a few more days. The boot barely fits in the footwell of the small forklift I use at work.
 
^Quote: I'm going to slip an insole from one of my sneakers in and see if that helps^
Don't we spend a fortune and lots of energy trying to get quick fixes to help us take a few extra steps during the day or push a little bit more! I have a full box with a variety of soles....a little bit more support, more gel, more arch, hole at the heel....:loll:
 
The boot is flat, I really need a little arch support so I don't hurt the bottom of my foot fixing the heel. I did the same with my military boots, made them far more wearable. After yesterday I am slowing down a bit. The insole will be a must fix if I am to tolerate this thing for 2 weeks.
 
The insole helps. A bit. I should have said the inside of the boot is flat and not well padded. If I HAVE to wear it, it might as well be a little more tolerable. I am really hating this boot. While I figured a way to walk in it without much of a limp, the difference in height between the boot and my shoes is becoming a bit of an issue. Doesn't really hurt, but I am working different muscles in my left knee. Also known as my NEW knee...

One tablet left of the Medrol Dospack. So start the Diclofenac again tomorrow.

I'm really glad I am comfortable with climbing and descending stairs. First day in the boot and I was side stepping stairs again. The bottom of the boot is rounded to help with walking. But if you step wrong it puts backwards pressure on the knee. I can go up and down stairs OK again. But I'm thinking about each step.

Have done a lot more reading about my issue. I'm still pretty sure that surgery is in my future. But, maybe some stretching of the Achilles in PT might be very helpful. As such, I intend to go see my PT again and see what he suggests. If the boot and steroid helps, then I will aggressively seek Physical Therapy with my PT. And, go get some new work boots/shoes. I must have steel toed shoes. To that end, I have been thinking that I might be wearing the wrong shoes for work. I quit wearing this particular pair of shoes last year simply because I bought a new pair. And it was just a few weeks later that my pain was gone (coinciding with the night boot and Diclofenac). I split the side out of those shoes back in late April and started wearing the older shoes (trying to save a few bucks) again. Maybe I'm grasping at straws that don't exist, but I spend 13 hours a day 4 days a week in those shoes and they aren't uncomfortable.
 
I cheated a bit this evening. I'm not happy just sitting all weekend. So, I kicked off the boot and hoped on my bike for an hour. An hour on the indoor trainer. I lost all desire to ride though after 5 minutes. Had a really hard time finding my mental "Happy Place" for the trainer. Still good to be moving but would rather have been on the street or trail. Done with the steroids. Any idea how long they will continue to alter my "mood"?
 
Any idea how long they will continue to alter my "mood"?
Once we get ''mechanical'' problems aren't we just on the :dev-godseesaw:roller coaster of moods! I really wish for you to find at some point some ''physical'' peace (no freekin pain or stiffness or pulling or......):friends:
 
I was afraid to fall too. Then it happened - on the ice. It happened so fast, I was helpless! Fell under a car (it was parked!!!). :rolleyespink: Bruised a bit. Knees OK. Lived through it. Still don't want to repeat it, though, if I have a choice! :wink1:
Best,
Martha
BTKR 4/7/10
 
Creation, I'm so glad I'm not hurting my knee wearing this silly boot. The meds I started last week are messing me up and I just want them out of my system. I know they are supposed to help calm the soft tissue in the heel down. There is no way I could manage meds like this for long term use.

Martha, that must have been scary! I'm pretty confident I'll survive a fall, I'm just afraid of falling. I know its irrational. But I try not to let it get the best of me. If I did, I'd never get more than 6 inches off the ground...

I'm living large!
 
I'd never get more than 6 inches off the ground...I'm living large!
:what: puzzeled when I read your post and look at the picture! Oh, well I guess I am not the only trouble!:snork:
 
If I let my fears get the best of me, I'd be stuck in my house and never more than 6" off the ground. But I don't let them get the better of. me. Hence, Living Large...
 
:wink1: Ah! I must have gotten lost in the translation!
I was more 'afraid' a few weeks ago when i did not trust my left quads, they would just give on me for no reasons. But now my leg is more sturdy. But I do 'think more' before climbing on getting in a possible fall position. I feel that once my muscles are ''all'' back in shape I won't think as much because I will trust my legs!
Other than that, my philosophy in life is: do what you can to prevent getting 'in trouble' and for the rest you'll deal with it when it happens!
:wink1:
 
As the thinking part goes, yesterday... We are emptying an old temporary type building at work. We removed the stairs at one of the doors so we could back trucks or a forklift right to the door, since some of the equipment is pretty darned heavy. After watching a couple guys step up or just hop up through the door (about 3' high), I decided to try it. Again, giving it a little thought first. And being lazy, I just didn't want to walk around the building to a different door... Good leg up, pulled myself in and done. On the way out, grabbed the door frame, left leg down and out... I can laugh about now, but for a brief moment I was SURE I was going to land flat on my back or face.

Once you regain all your strength, you will trust it more. I know I'm not done healing, but I am in better shape than I was 2 years ago. I don't WEIGH any less, but I'm feeling SOOOO much better overall. Yes, even with my heel in a funny boot that I hate.
 
Yes, even with my heel in a funny boot that I hate.

Put a smiley face sticker on it.

Are you feeling a little better since you finished your dose pack? Steroids can really help the inflammation but it can also wreck havoc on the sleep patterns and mental status. :rolleyespink: Hoping you will soon be able to find your happy place.
 
Last tablet from the steroids pack was Sunday AM. I'm still feeling a bit "edgy":skeptical: if that makes sense. Yes, the heel feels pretty decent right now. But it still bothers me, even in the boot. Yes, my sleep pattern is a mess. I slept all the way home in the vanpool today, something I rarely do.:sleep: But I am CONSTANTLY starving... I have an occasional "hungry day", but this has been 4 days straight. Regardless, I'm looking forward to seeing the doc next Thursday. See whats next. I got approval to wear sneakers for work when I'm out of the boot, but keep steel toe shoes in my locker or truck. Good for 30 days. (Boss didn't know I already had a spare pair in my locker!) I SHOULD be back to my normal grumpy self in a few days I'm told. So no smiley face on the boot... :loll:
 
Back
Top Bottom