Guest viewing is limited

TKR Roger got a new left knee

Sonja, I didn't mean to ignore your response... Yes, it feels great. I've lost weight before on fad programs and such. But it always came back. Never more than I started with though. I have been very careful with stepping into and out tubs and such. Which is a result of my major fear of falling.

While the rest of my body seems to have forgotten how to work hard and such, I was lucky that my legs seem to have retained a lot of the tone I had. So returning to cycling and and now running hasn't been that painful. Sure, there is some fat there, but not as much as around my middle. Somewhere under that keg is the six-pack! My cardio is slow in returning and driving me nuts. But still, I see progress and take it where I find it.

What I appreciate now, are the little things. Like, the other day when I dropped off a piece of heavy equipment (less than a foot) without thinking about it. Or last month when I ran into the house and back out and jumped down 2 steps ( I had forgotten some paperwork in the house and were already leaving late!). THAT prompted my wife to comment, "Do you realize what you just did? You RAN!!!"

Back to that patience issue, I sure wish the feeling would hurry up and return to the surface of my knee. I hate the tingly feeling I get now and again.

Darlene, my PT understood the Don't Hurt me request as don't make me have more surgery. *I* knew I it was going hurt! PT stands for Pain and Torture doesn't it?
 
Seems I have a minor setback. The knee pain I have in my old knee is a MCL sprain. So, backing off from running. And taking it easy for a bit. I didn't yank the road bike off the trainer yet, so I'll roll some easy miles that way.
 
Thanks for the great story. I am at 6 weeks from my rtkr on Monday, May 2. I love to read the storys of people that are down the road a bit. I too am making progress but my sciatica kicked in and after 2 cortisone injections in my lumbar, I am now at 105 Rom....not 144...but not 70 where I started and was stuck. I love the advice and encouragement this site gives and I know I will be keeping and eye on it for both those reasons for awhile...and to help others that might need it. I also had some things happened just before I had surgery and since. I lost my sweet little cat, who was 17, to a stroke just 2 days before my surgery and also lost a nephew in a ATV accident 2 weeks post surgery. It seems it the last six weeks I have gone through so many emotions and cried a bucket of tears...not for the knee...it was like it was always in the background because the pain of the back and the pain in my heart took precedent. Glad to hear your wife is doing better.....and just one piece of advice...ice bags made with rubbing alcohol (1 part) and water(two part.)..they freeze like very slushy. Great to have on your knee because they just wrap around it and cover every nook and cranny, including the back of the knee. It might help with the swelling and it might not.....I have bunches in my freezer and if I sit even for 10 minutes, one goes on my knee...sometimes 6-7 times a day.
 
Ice is good :) I still have the chill water circulator they sent me home with from the hospital. Use it all the time right now. It feels better. Now my heel is acting up again. So I sleep with a funky padded boot on. Always something...

Wife and I took my bike and her trike for a ride on the river parkway. After she managed a 4 mile ride, she allowed me the time for another 8 miles on my own. Faster for sure.

Generated a nice little sunburn on my scar!!!
 
My wife is doing better. We saw her docs yesterday and we are happy with some blood test results. Still have a long ways to go but very encouraging regardless. I've had her play racquetball with me ,well, she is more swing and pray than skill and strength right now. I have her walking and doing leg exercises in the pool. I do allow her a couple extra bounces in the court.

I wore shorts to work this week (I work in the desert), but the weather didn't really cooperate that much. My desert is a lake right now. Monday and Tuesday were the worst, barely made it over 50 with rain and wind. Some folks were grossed out by the scar, others thought it cool. And even though shorts are allowed, some still feel shorts are unprofessional... I wear shorts year round when I feel like it. Have even used my snowblower wearing shorts.

As for the tan lines.... The last of my tan last summer finally faded in January, my PT was surprised at the tan lines still visible.
 
Hope you wife continues to feel better and that you get that great tan line back. :biggrin: I splurged on a couple of pairs of bermuda shorts so that my scar isn't as noticeable. There's still some pink to the scar so it's still healing. I'm amazed at how well you rebounded and your testimony is an encouragement to others who are considering TKA. :thumb:
 
:blush: My turn to blush a tad... Thanks for the well wishes for my wife. I just did what I had to do. I again admit to having a good run with recovery and all, which certainly helped a lot. I limited myself early due to my fear of falling. And the weather of course didn't cooperate with me when I wanted to do things.

Scar has some color to it, not bright but its still healing. The sunburn the other day highlights it though!

I will admit, the knee still reminds when I've overdone things for the day. But its not a limiting factor at this point. And if I could just get the rest of my body to stop reminding me I'm not as young as I feel...:th_heehee:
 
My BTKR scars are my "badges of honor"!

I get some tan lines too, cycling shorts and cycling jerseys, and since I cut my hair very short (almost shaved) sometimes my scalp get funky little patterns of sunny spots in it from the air holes in my helmet!:biggrin:

As for overdoing it, those friendly little reminders from knee control central will get fewer and fewer and less intense.
 
Roger, inspiring story. Fantastic recovery, wow!

Glad to hear that you, along with your wife are so active & basically hardcore healthy go getters! Your daughter sounds like a wonderful young lady, so helpful. You keep the rest of us moving along & give us something to attain to. I wish you both continued success & patience.

"Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances."

I think this quote describes your personality quite well.

Yesterday I put a pair of skorts on to wear to work as I sorta' dig my scar but then I hadn't shaved the old leg's:th_heehee: so put on capri's. My scar is rather lovely as my left knee was opened up twice in just over a year so my scar isn't as petite appearance wise plus the ACL blah,blah, blah....

Keep on posting, we need good role models!
 
Thanks Beth... But just as things are good, they go bad again. My wife started getting weak and coughing Tuesday, and as of yesterday, she has pneumonia, again. Some may be a meds issue (she may well be that less than 1% for that med), and some could be the crappy weather we can't seem to break. Today the sun is shining reminding us that summer is coming, but will be rainy again tomorrow and into the next week... I'm a glass half full kinda guy, but I'm really tired of making lemonaide. Because we hadn't turned in the O2 concentrator, her doc gave her the weekend, with meds to get somewhat better, but by Monday if no improvement, she'll be in the hospital. On the other hand, I have yard work to get to, but a friend and I will go ride our bikes later today...
 
So the doc was happy that my wife is responding to the antibiotics round this time. She got to stay home again and will see the doc again next week. This weather is just so crappy and wet and chilly. We have SNOW forecast tonight, though it shouldn't stick. Today is only 41* and raining right now. This is NOT good for my wife's lungs. But we'll be in the upper 70s later in the week finally. About time.

MCL feels about healed. Heel is not as good, but maybe when I start back on the treadmill again that will stretch again. Tomorrow is 29 weeks since my surgery. Why do I still keep track? I don't know!!! Rode two laps of my bike loop between rain showers yesterday. Getting up the hill a bit faster but still quite winded.

So, how about a new scar pic?
[Bonesmart.org] Roger got a new left knee

Guess it doesn't really look much different from January's pic.:th_heehee:
 
Its the 30th of May, and I woke to this...
[Bonesmart.org] Roger got a new left knee

I know its not much, but yesterdays high was 41... Supposed to mid 70s and up later this week though. C'Mon SUMMER!!!
 
You have such beautiful scenery where you live and lots of hills to climb on your bike. :th_heehee: Your scar is looking great and you'll have a tan line in no time. Now if only the weather would just cooperate and your wife get relief from her symptoms...
 
Today its breezy and 76!!! High clouds. And tomorrow might hit 80... Thunderstorms in the foreaast for Thursday then clear and warmer for a bit. Maybe, just maybe, spring is here and just in time fro SUMMER!!!

Thanks. I love being able to see the mountains. And between houses, I can see part of the Great Salt Lake. The bad thing is, there aren't good trails (mostly private properties) near my house, and the little town isn't quite bike friendly yet. But with a running/triathlon store just opened, that should change.
 
We've had a few nice days, and some rainy... But I had something new happening I might mention... It seems I have nerves growing back along side my scar. Its been numb since surgery but I have frequent stabbing pains. Not bad and not for long each time, but enough to wake me up... My wife didn't think I had any feelings left... Haha, I do!!!
 
Hi, I know what you mean, I have one side of my scar that is almost over sensitive and the other side well I would not know it exists. I have had some weird feelings in that side, sometimes it feels like when you come back from the dentist and your freezing is beginning to wear off, like a tingling. But I also get once and a while those sharp stabing pains that come from no where last a moment and go as they came...Weird stuff happens in their!:loll:The nerve that knee has got, to bother me like that!
 
But I had something new happening I might mention... It seems I have nerves growing back along side my scar.

You are coming right along! Yay for new nerves! :egypt-dance: There is an upside to nerve damage though. If a mosquito bites you where you are numb you won't feel it. :snork:
 
And I won't get the satisfaction of knowing it and smashing the little skeeter. Hehe... Oh sure, you all think now Roger the Violent.

Some nerve, eh Creation? Time time time time time..... Little here, little there and its been a fun ride.

Over the weekend I had a great time helping my son in the garage. Working on his truck, we lifted the cab up so my daughter could slide blocks in to hold it up while we pulled the transmission. Up down, under, back up... I like doing my own work where I can. And its nice that the knee lets me. But I still can't kneel on the new knee. Not on concrete at least!
 
Kneeling is one of those moves that I bet we all feel hesitant to try, especially on a surface as hard as concrete. I've placed pressure on my knee by kneeling but it was on much more forgiving surfaces.

Good for you working on your own vehicles. The lifting doesn't hurt your back?:rolleyespink:
 
Back
Top Bottom