Guest viewing is limited

TKR Roger got a new left knee

I had cedar planked salmon and my bride had Italian sausage tortellini. Good food, grand company! Simple evening.

Thanks all. No table dancing... This year!
 
Woke up this morning a little more swollen than normal... And, I sunburnt my scar yesterday...

Checked the mail when I got home and found a big envelope from the US Navy... I "retired" from the Navy 10 years ago into an inactive reserve status.... Well. I'm not inactive anymore...







I'm fully retired!!!! Now, if only I didn't have to work for a living!!!

I'll worry about the sunburn and swelling tomorrow... I'm really happy right now!
 
Congratulations on your REAL retirement!!! But....so sorry you do still have to work. At least you have a new knee to get you through it!!!
 
Roger, thanks for supporting the fishermen, our income depends on people like you eating, ordering & barbecuing those lovely coral colored fillets! Hope it was delicious!

Congrats on the Navy retirement! Thanks for serving our country.

How's the swelling today?
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Roger got a new left knee
    Alaska 2010 Trip 047 - Copy (2).jpg
    94 KB · Views: 215
Still a bit more than I like... Plenty of ice time yesterday. Probably just catching up to me from my stunt last week. Reminding who is still boss.

Delicious? It was better than that... And it was buttery smooth...

On a bright note, summer might finally be here (beyond what the calendar says). I don't see rain for the next week in the forecast, and plenty of warm days and nights.
 
I visited my therapist the other day just for giggles. He wanted me to stop in and warm up like I did before. He insists that people generally lose 10-15* in the months after therapy. Recall that I left therapy after 10-11 weeks post-op at 141*. And I couldn't move through the tissue in my legs.

So, I dropped in today. Hopped on the recumbent stationary bike. Moved forward again, like before. I managed to slide farther forward than before... Hmmm... So I hopped in the Total gym and started working lower. I had to slide the backrest up twice because I hit bottom twice. Best I ever got measured on the Total gym had been 133. Not today. I didn't even try the wallslides before measuring. Because I hit 142* on the Total Gym.

I am fully aware that others aren't this lucky. I'm fully aware that *I* have been very lucky. I hope everyone can reach their goals.

Again, 142* is really about the limit for me, because I have so much tissue/muscle in the legs. I promise, next time I go see the therapist, I will take my camera. Yes. I am very very happy!
 
Congrats! 142 is amazing...I am not sure what I had before the BTKR, but I am in the 130's now---which is fine for me! I am very happy for your progress and your positive outlook on things, too. That no doubt also played a strong role in your recovery.
 
That's really good, Roger. After two years mine has settled at a very acceptable 135*. I also am well pleased! :thumb:
 
I promise, next time I go see the therapist, I will take my camera. Yes. I am very very happy!

:happy dance:Can't wait to see the pictures of the happy guy!:thumb:
 
:thumb::blush::biggrin:

Appreciate it all folks! I *AM* a little stiff now, but not hurting. Just a little of the vise. Originally in therapy I was obsessed with matching my other knee. It was measured (quickly, not as precise as my replacement) at 144. So it might have been less. If so, then I'm dead on where i wanted to be. On the Total gym, it sure felt very even...

Now if only my heel would get taken care of. I have an appointment with a podiatrist July 12th. Same building as my OS, even recommended by his staff. So, I should be in good hands. I know a former co-worker went to see him a couple years ago, which is why I was glad my OS' staff likes him too...
 
:thumb::blush::biggrin:

Appreciate it all folks! I *AM* a little stiff now, but not hurting. Just a little of the vise. Originally in therapy I was obsessed with matching my other knee. It was measured (quickly, not as precise as my replacement) at 144. So it might have been less. If so, then I'm dead on where i wanted to be. On the Total gym, it sure felt very even...

Now if only my heel would get taken care of. I have an appointment with a podiatrist July 12th. Same building as my OS, even recommended by his staff. So, I should be in good hands. I know a former co-worker went to see him a couple years ago, which is why I was glad my OS' staff likes him too...

Do you have the dreaded Plantar Fasciitis Roger? I've had it twice...the first time it lasted two years, mostly because I would not stop running long enough to let it heal. I slept in a Strassberg sock for about 1.5 years. Second time I got it, other foot it, was gone in 6 months or a little less after using shock wave therapy to break up scar tissue. Good luck with that when you see your podiatrist!

Congrats too on your awesome ROM, I hope eventually I can report the same!

:doggieshmooze:
 
Bonnie, its not plantar, its on the back side of the heel instead. There IS a bone spur, and I'm sure its worse. I don't really remember what its called, but it got better last year. Came back with a vengeance after I stopped running thanks to the MCL on my other knee (I don't think its related to running or not running though). Last summer a sports ortho (not my OS) put me in a padded boot to sleep in (the Smurf boot) and I was on Diclofenic. It got better in a couple days and I was completely pain free after a month. Neither the boot or Diclofenic are helping at all this time.

Kind of like when I was looking for a knee doc, I did more asking about for a podiatrist. Luckily, the podiatrist is in the same building as my OS...

It really felt good to get that bend. It wasn't hard and it didn't hurt at all. Just couldn't go any further...

I really do hope everyone can reach their goals and feel for those that are having a tough time. Even if you have to adjust your goals.
 
I love it when I do something and don't even notice it. Today, admittedly in a hurry. But just walking, I took 2 steps at a time up an outdoor stairway. Just like I used to. A co-worker asked how long I'd been doing that. "Doing what?" I asked... Wow... Just today. I'm not sure, but I might have done it at home a few times!

My co-worker is facing replacement soon. He just hasn't reached that point where it impacts his daily life yet. But he is getting there. And we talk about mine a LOT. He isn't afraid of it like he used to be, but he also isn't in a lot of pain yet either.
 
Back
Top Bottom