TKR Right TKR is done

I am now home. The dr took out the drain this morning at 11 as very little seemed to come out....Maybe a couple of tablespoons. They told me that all the tests came back clean. I have physical black stiches that you can see on the outside and the area is only about 3 to 4 inches long. I am to keep it covered until it stops weeping on the outside. Home health care coming tomorrow to take a look and maybe again next week to be sure I'm healing ok.
I'm happy to be home. I did have iv antibiotics while after surgery and are to take oral antibiotic pills for next week.
 
Glad you are home. Sending positive thoughts for a fast recovery.
 
I'm glad you're home.

Even if the tests did come back negative, it's wise to be on antibiotics for a while, just in case the surgery has exposed you to infection.
 
I'm glad your home. The drain not producing a lot is good.
 
The home nurse was just here and said the wound looks great. I slept well last night. Had very little drainage on the dressing, only a little in one spot. Nurse will be back next week to check on me. Checked over the meds and on 2 antibiotics.
Nurse showed me a report of my surgery and what I had was a seroma in a sinus tract. Said they removed some tissue and fat under the skin, so could have been a fat area that didn't hook together only. So thankful that it had not gone further into the joint.
Thank all of you for being here for me. I am working on the healing now.
 
What wonderful news! I know that eases your mind. God answered your and our prayers!
 
Took the dressing off last night and there wasn't anything on it at all. Looks like it was done well and healing is on the way. Glad to be able to shower today too, of course being careful with the incision area.
 
If your allowed to shower, just let the water run over it. I'm glad there's no seeping now. My incision began seeping massively 2 weeks after washout surgery which is why I couldn't bend for a month. It took that long for the seeping to stop.
 
What good news! Just be careful and not knock off your scab.
 
I had my stitches removed from my seroma surgery done 2 weeks ago this morning. Turns out there is another area that is "weeping" again. I just can't seem to catch a break and move on to my next knee. Some of the knots from the stitches were in bedded in my skin so had to tug quite hard to get the stitches lose. No new surgery date for my right knee until after I see dr again next week. Anyone have a secret on how I can grow scabs in a week? I'm kind of teasing, but just wish I could move on to my next knee. I find myself dragging it kind of peg-leg like because I can't deal with the pain in walking. This morning I had to sit back down on the bed to move or massage if you will around the knee cap because I was totally unable to make a step on my right leg......just so ready. Praying that scabs form and I can move on.
 
Are you keeping it dry? I couldn't shower as long as mine was seeping.
 
Yes. It was covered in a dressing when I came home. Last night I put a dry dressing on it before bed too. This morning I thought I would replace the dressing and have a look and it seemed to open up like a river and flowed on and on just like what was supposed to have been repaired at my surgery 2 weeks ago. I am more than upset that I again have a small hole that is leaking! The large bandage I put on just 30 min ago is soaking wet. Do I go to a different doctor? Do I even go back to my surgeon? So very Upset!! My son says I should call someone else for a second opinion.
 
My incision began seeping when the staples came out after my washout surgery. It took a month to heal and stop seeping. However I was on antibiotics because it was a staph infection, so the antibiotics were at work. Remind me, did the doctor take cultures to determine if there was an infection or did he just use blood samples? It actually took several days to grow the cultures and determine what type of infection and a team of infectious disease drs were involved also. I think you should call your OS today and try to be seen. Have questions ready. Ask if they took a tissue culture or just a blood culture. It cannot hurt to seek a second opinion. Look for a dr who specializes in revisions as they typically see more infections, if that's what this is. Usually it says revisions or secondary TKRs in their bios.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I tried to post pictures but said were too large. I'm not terribly savvy at these kind of things so will keep trying. There never was any infections in any of the culture taken prior to surgery and in the surgery notes it does say that cultures were taken of the serous fluid. However, I had been on keflex for 8 days prior to my surgery for the seroma and had iv antibiotics in the hospital and have had 2 weeks of keflex since, so no sign of infection sounds reasonable. In the surgery notes it did say that they did debriement of some subcutaneous fat and some skin with a small sinus tract was irrigated with antibiotic solution. There was no remaining necrotic fat or pockets. It says that the localized seroma was superficial in the subcutaneous space and walled off.
I just got a call from the dr office and they will work me in tomorrow to see what is going on.
It really has not been leaking now since I have been elevating and icing all morning. But, I can physically see the hole. Guess I have to wait and see what dr has to say in the morning.
 
You should let your surgeon know what is happening.
 
Thanks @Celle . I have a time set and just as precaution was told to hold off eating in case he needs to go in and do something.
 
I'm glad you have an appointment with your surgeon - and also that he/she is seeing you and prepared to take action, if necessary.
 
Please let us know what you find out.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom