TKR Right TKR is done

It seems rather odd that he would tell you to squeeze the fluid out. Should it be an infection, I would think any squeezing you do might risk pushing the infection into other tissue. I'm going to tag @Josephine to get her comments on that recommendation.

I'm sorry about the delay in your second surgery. These things happen and it's always good to have a Plan B just in case there is a bit of a delay in recovery. So I hope you're starting to think what you might be able to do if it takes a while for this problem to clear up. Can you wait for the next surgery until after your temporary job ends? Or can you just opt out of the job completely this time? Is it a job that can be done from your home?

I know this is disappointing. But right now the important thing is your health. You want to be sure there is no infection or, if it does turn out there is one, that it's dealt with quickly and effectively.
 
IF there is an infection you want it taken care of immediately. Also, be sure you have a good Infectious disease dr to analyze the cultures and prescribe an antibiotic that's sensitive to the particular infection, if that's the case.
I had a washout/debridement due to infection a month post op and while the post op pain was there, it was not as bad as the TKR after a day or two.

But there could be any number of reasons for the seeping. My seepage wasn't pink/orange, it was yellowish and had an odor. If all is clear would you be able to take any cancellation that came up?
 
Thanks for the good advice everyone! I have opted to NOT squeeze it anymore due to your thoughts on infection. Makes sense to me. I do have it covered all the time now too. Was leaving it open at night as I was sleeping since I'm a back sleeper.
All the time the incision was healing this spot had a little triangular scab and one day that finally came loose and I think that was the cork in the dam that was hiding all of this.
Believe me, I have been thinking different plans. This is a new company that approached me after I retired to work for them in the summer months. I had told them up front about my winter plans to get TKR done on both knees so they are aware. Since they have been interested in me, I may be able to do some of the early work from home, I guess I will have to cross that bridge if/when it presents itself.
I just want to have an idea from the dr "if" he will do what he can to get my terrible right knee done as soon as possible after this is done. My right knee needs something - whether it's cortisone shots or surgery or a brace - I'm in need of something because that will hinder a good walking gait in the long run.
Bless you all for sharing your thoughts. I needed that. I'm fighting through the tears and disappointment.
 
You're can still use a cane for the right knee and that'll help your gait.
 
The dr said he wants me to squeeze the fluid out. He called it some word that started with an s but for the life of me I can't remember it. Something that came about with surgery.
Suture? Which a medical term for stitch and what I said here
A quite common reason for this is a stitch abscess which is actually quite superficial and will settle eventually. I suggest you stop squeezing it but leave it alone and keep it covered with a sterile dressing. a Bandaid would do. Hope it sorts itself out for you.
It probably is infected but only a minor infection so need for everyone to get their feathers ruffled!
:yikes: :scare: :sos:
Once he said we may just have to wait for it to dry up.......
That was also what I said - cover it with a Bandaid (which are sterile) and leave it alone.
 
So if it's a minor infection you could possibly take a cancelled surgery opening.
 
I do use a cane still, but in the house getting up from a chair I have to have a cane in both hands because the pain in my right knee is so bad that it has to be given time to see where it will grind or move into place before I can even take a step. It truly is in need of replacing.
Josephine, it was not suture, it was something that develops or is part of the skin layers or something - a longer word. Will ask again Monday when I go and when I get more questions answered.
A bandaid will not take care of the seepage because it seems that with all the squeezing I get a fair amount of drainage and my pant leg gets wet often with a bandaid so I use a 4x4 over the area - doube to absorb it.
Thanks for all the thoughts and guidance.
 
For my first surgery when I saw the dr to schedule my TKR in late September, the earliest date was December 8 so I asked to be sooner if there was a cancellation, I had surgery Dec 8.
@KarriB what is the procedure for "washing" out like? I'm aware they go into the same incision, but then do you start all over so that there would be no way I could even think of having my rtkr doNE for another couple of months anyway?
I'm at such a loss not knowing what to think about, what to plan for. I'm not an obsessive person, but just need to have an idea ahead so that I can wrap my thoughts around the process generally to know what to expect. If my test results don't come back with an infection, I don't know if he is going to.open it up and 'check' to be certain or just the small area or what. Too much unknown for me right now.
 
Before you start getting so worried about all the worse case scenarios wait until you see your OS. If possible is there someone that can go with you to help take notes of what he says? Write up a list of questions you want to ask and make sure you answer every one of them before your OS leaves the exam room. If he believes it's an infection you can ask if he believes and infectious disease (ID) doctor should be consulted.
 
My infection wasn't minor at all. My incision was closed, but seeping a yellow pus as if it was a stream. I also experienced a high fever.

Did your doctor call it a seroma?
 
Subcutaneous? I`m sorry to read that you are having issues with your wound. It`s disappointing re your planned TKR for your (R) leg but as Karri says, if this is a superficial infection maybe you could be offered a cancellation. There`s no point saying not to worry as you`re bound to anyway and your mind will wander to allsorts of possibilities. That`s fine - just don`t google it!

I tend to work on the worst case scenario and work backwards. If I know I can cope with the worst case scenario I can cope with anything! Hopefully the oozing is just some serous fluid which has gathered beneath the incision line.
 
@KarriB I think you have come up with the term the dr used. I would hope that if that is the case, he may think through all this a little more. I dont have anything that seems to be foul smelling and when it comes out that toothpick size hole it's that slight color and thin like water. I'm a little relieved that it may not be over the top serious, although any openings on an incision is serious, maybe we can get this fixed. I am going to make that list of questions for monday. He is going to have to give me a better reason and explanation for actions going forward. Thanks karri. I greatly appreciate you coming up with the term. :)
 
I only knew the term (I'm not a medical person) because my dad had a seroma a month after his THR last year. It wasn't infected and closed up very quickly. It was a pink fluid that drained out of his THR incision and was bad enough that we took him to the ER in the morning where it continued to puddle on the floor. Of course because of my experience we were concerned it was a full blown infection, but it was not. He spent a night in the hospital so the OS could keep an eye on it, came home with no issue at all.

Will you see your dr on Monday? I'm not surprised the nurse led you to believe your next TKR may be cancelled. The doc we saw in the ER also an ortho (hand specialist) gave us the whole infection scenario and my dad's OS (in surgery at the time) even ordered a new hip implant as soon as he was out of surgery because apparently my dad has huge bones and they didn't have anymore his size in the hospital. But by the evening it had started close and the cultures where good. He's just fine with no problems at all.
 
Sero-sangious drainage is another possible term. Let us know what the cultures show. We'll be praying for you!


Sent from my iPad
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I do have an appointment to see the surgeon on Monday. He will give me the culture results then. I am of the opinion that he won't operate on me as long as there is an opening on my left leg for my scheduled rtkr. Even though there 'could' be ways to do it.......but then again I'm not in the medical field. He and I are going to have a good talk. He aspirated my new knee twice and if he introduced infection because of that he may hear loud and clear what I think of that. The open in should have been cultured alone first before that where the fluid was coming from. I'm going to really advocate for myself at Mondays appt. He has some explaining to do to me.
 
Hope you get all the answers your looking for on Monday from your O.S. Sorry to hear your having any issues at all. I had a area in my incision that wouldn't close shut either, tried didn't things on my own, bandaids, butterfly strips, sometimes I left it open to leave it kind of try and scab over and heal. In my case I think the best thing was keeping it covered as when it was open, I was going to p/t and out and about and think I was exposing my self to the risk of infection, which I ended up with prior to getting it all taken care of. I'll be watching your follow up posts. I am also from Wis, the south western area.
 
@zzevi thank you for sharing. I live in Lancaster. Where are you located?
When that tiny little scab first let loose it would dry up between showers. Seemed the warm water and my wash cloth released the dry spot every time. I just don't like how the dr has squeezed and prodded things and from the reading I have done the last 4 hours or so about what it most likely is, there should have been a different solution. Knowledge is power and I'm wiser now!
 
I am from Mazomanie which is about 27 miles west of Madison. Yes, knowledge is power. I know I am easily influenced and took everything told to me by my surgeon and p/t and my reading prior to my surgery as the gospel of tkr, only to find out even our dr's don't maybe truly realize what the patience goes thru with tkr surgery.
I also had to find my voice and speak up, if you feel something isn't right, don't wait do speak up and expect answers. I didn't speak up soon enough, and I had to deal with some issues that I feel in hindsight should have never happened. I'll continue to watch to see how your upcoming appt comes out.
 
Ginger, my dad's seroma opened and began leaking while he was washing with a warm washcloth. He was still not allowed to shower or take a bath yet.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom